Going, Going, Gone! - Final issues

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Going, Going, Gone! - Final issues

Post by Kashgar »

While it is safe to say that the first issue of any title has usually a collectability over those issues of the same title that follow it, it is also true that any titles final issue usually has an appeal and therefore a monetary value above the issues of the same title that immediately precede it.
So how many final issues have you in your collection and what are they?

Lew Stringer

Re: Going, Going, Gone! - Final issues

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:While it is safe to say that the first issue of any title has usually a collectability over those issues of the same title that follow it, it is also true that any titles final issue usually has an appeal and therefore a monetary value above the issues of the same title that immediately precede it.
So how many final issues have you in your collection and what are they?
Off the top of my head I can think of....
TV21 (both series), Wham!, Smash! (both series), Pow!, Fantastic, Terrific, Solo, Eagle (original series), Jag, Tiger, Cor!!, Knockout (2nd series), Scorcher, Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Lion, Valiant, Vulcan (both series), Dandy, Roy of the Rovers (weekly), Striker, Transformers, Oink!, The Daredevils, Triffik, Shiver and Shake, Countdown, TV Action, Victor... and no doubt others I've forgotten for the moment.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

... Not to mention a scarcity value, in that the final issues usually had a shorter print run.

I have so many final issues, UK and US, which I value more than most first issues. UK issues include Monster Fun 73; the last issue of Whizzer and Chips; last issues of Cheeky Weekly; Whoopee; Jackpot; Wow!; Battle; School Fun; Tiger; Nipper; Oink; many UK Marvel issues such as Blakes-7 23; Future Tense, Daredevils; Capt Britain; Spidey 666; Spider Man & Zoids 51; ROTJ 155; Star Wars Monthly UK 171; Star Lord 22 + special; Tornado 22 + special; Marvel Superheroes and more such as The Titans 58. US issues include Conan 275, Star Trek US Marvel issue 18, Micronauts 59, Ghost Rider 81. To name just a handful.

Plus many more special issues such as the last Dr Who 'Weekly' (43, before going monthly) and the last Buster and Monster Fun holiday special; the last TV Comic with originated Dr Who story's (1385); the last TV Comic with reprint Dr Who storys; the last Basil Brush special and such like issues.

Plus too many others for one post.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Another nice thing about last issues is that they usually include quite a few final instalments - sometimes of continued storylines that have been going for years and years without any proper resolution (for example the last issue of the 1960s Champion featured the death of two major characters in 'Bartok and his Brothers'). Of course, a lot depended on whether the cancellation was planned or the result of a sudden directive from the top floor (...or, worst of all, the unfortunate consequence of a damaging strike).

starscape

Post by starscape »

Got a few Alan Class final issues. Not that you would ever know. No word about it whatsoever in any issues.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Off the top of my head my final issues are :- Dandy,Nutty,Tiger, Roy Of t]The Rovers (Weekly), Buster,Whizzer & Chips,Jackpot. Whoopee,Wow,School Fun,Eagle (Monthly),Cheeky,Beezer & Topper,Beano Max,Starlord,Classics From The Comics ,Striker + Various American marvel & Dc comics.

blaing

Post by blaing »

off the top of my head, I currently have the Dandy, Classics from the Comics. Sparky, Cracker, Cheeky Weekly, Shiver and Shake, School Fun and coming shortly, Krazy. I may have missed a few. :? (update: I did! I forgot the final Odhams' era issue of Smash (No. 162) and Oink!

I'm on the hunt for the final issues of Nutty, Whoopee, Whizzer and Chips and Hoot
Last edited by blaing on 19 Nov 2014, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

As to myself and in something like date order my last issues include -
Magic, Skipper, Comic Cuts, Chips, Tip-Top, Jingles, Wonder, Champion, Comet, Sun, TV Fun, Hotspur, TV Fan, Top Spot, Adventure, TV Express, Radio Fun, Film Fun, Knockout, Wizard, Girl's Crystal, School Friend, Big One, Hurricane, Champion (again),Giggle, Terrific, Fantastic, Wham and then just about every Thomson/Fleetway final issue published to date.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Victor, Action, Wizard (text paper), Dandy and that's about it. It just goes to show how many of my collections are still to be completed! :o
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Funnily enough, I have just started collecting final issues. Before now, the majority of final issues were with a comic collection.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

colcool007 wrote:Victor, Action, Wizard (text paper), Dandy and that's about it. It just goes to show how many of my collections are still to be completed! :o
Many people collect special issues without feeling the need to be completist Col and by the way how many Victor issues do you still need?
Just remembered a few final issues I missed from my pre 1970 final issue list
Gem, Magnet, Boy's World, Ranger, Eagle and Jag.
And just to extend the topic, as very few titles actually ended but instead got amalgamated what about final combined issues as some titles such as Hurricane (63 issues) lasted much longer in combination with Tiger (over 200 issues) and similarly Champion (15) which lasted over five times as long in its later shared life as the junior partner in Lion & Champion (78)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I have the final issues of The Dandy, Classics From The Comics, and Beano Comic Libraries (for some reason those final two issues are labelled Picture Stories instead). I also have the first issues of Classics and BeanoMAX.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Victor, Action, Wizard (text paper), Dandy and that's about it. It just goes to show how many of my collections are still to be completed! :o
Many people collect special issues without feeling the need to be completist Col and by the way how many Victor issues do you still need?
And just to extend the topic, as very few titles actually ended but instead got amalgamated what about final combined issues as some titles such as Hurricane (63 issues) lasted much longer in combination with Tiger (over 200 issues) and similarly Champion (15) which lasted over five times as long in its later shared life as the junior partner in Lion & Champion (78)
It was about 40, but the Holy Grail (in collecting terms) is the 1967 Summer Special. I also lost a few issues in the 900s due to flooding in the house. Thankfully we only lost about 50 or so comics. It could have been so much worse...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:

Yes, Tiger seemed reluctant to let go of a few titles that merged into it didn't it? Tiger and Jag had a good run, (even though the word 'Jag' was tiny after the first year) and I understand Tiger and Scorcher ran for about five years? Lion and Thunder had a far longer run than Thunder as a solo comic too.

Battle-Action ran for quite a few years as a merged title also, if I recall correctly?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:Another nice thing about last issues is that they usually include quite a few final instalments - sometimes of continued storylines that have been going for years and years without any proper resolution (for example the last issue of the 1960s Champion featured the death of two major characters in 'Bartok and his Brothers'). Of course, a lot depended on whether the cancellation was planned or the result of a sudden directive from the top floor (...or, worst of all, the unfortunate consequence of a damaging strike).

The way that some endings tried to reassure the readers that it was only temporary was rarely convincing. "That's all from (insert title) for now, but you can meet new chums in the first great combined issue of Panther and Biplane next Monday!" :lol: