Any Christmas Issues that Stood Out - Past or Present

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DavidKW

Re: Any Christmas Issues that Stood Out - Past or Present

Post by DavidKW »

Three notable Xmas issues that stuck in my mind:

Topper - early mid 70s?:
I just remember seeing a Desert ISland Dick where he's depressed but ends where he has a whole Xmas light display on island and is happy.

Whizzer And Chips?/IPC mid 70s:
Think it was same issue:
Sammy Shrink came up against a psychotic store Santa; when it he presented as a doll to a young girl he bites her fingers and gets Santa sacked.
Fuss Pot causing chaous at a carol singing; ends up insisting doing a chorus solo for Ding Dong Merrilly On High and breaks all the streets windows.

Beezer 1977: (Beezer and Cracker in fact)
Now here's an edition I'd love to own again. Memorable strips:

Pop Dick and Harry: Pop is trying to drop hints to the boys on what he's like for Xmas, but D & H find ways around before presenting their list, causing Pop to faint.
The Badd Lads: Boss is passed as a ventriloquist's dummy operated by fingers for a talent contest, only Boss gets stage fright, they fight (knuck is bemused in the wings)...and the act wins the hamper prize.
Baby Crockett: whose Grandad moans about Christmas not being as good today as it was in his day.. but he eventually shows hes still a kid at heart.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

And in the Cracker pull out:
Joe Soap's bubbles turn people into Xmas related things - ends where a stray bubble pops Joe and he's a fairy, to his Grandad's amusement.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:The Hotspur Xmas issue 1967 and the Buster Xmas issue 1969 both hold lasting memories of Xmas for me.
Here you go, Ray. It's one of my favourites too:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... -1969.html

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks for that Lew. All of the Buster Xmas comics in the late 1960's were great
but somehow this one is the one I remember with most affection.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

For me-it has to be the Sparky one at Xmas 1970 with the `cast` all carol singing on the cover. Just superb!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Apologies if I have repeated Lew stringers posting about Sparky Xmas issue. Not been on here for some time as I was rather ill. So apologies if I repeated-either myself or what anyone else posted. Alan.

SID

Post by SID »

DavidKW wrote:And in the Cracker pull out:
Joe Soap's bubbles turn people into Xmas related things - ends where a stray bubble pops Joe and he's a fairy, to his Grandad's amusement.
That's the Cracker I was talking about. ;)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:Apologies if I have repeated Lew stringers posting about Sparky Xmas issue. Not been on here for some time as I was rather ill. So apologies if I repeated-either myself or what anyone else posted. Alan.
No worries Alan. You didn't repeat my post. That Sparky cover is indeed one of the best so is bound to be a favourite of many collectors I think. Superb composition by Vic Neill. Hope you'll be on the mend soon.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thank you lew! yes! had rather long illness, had to take it easy - hopefully be able to contribute a bit more often here in the new year.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Merry Christmas, one and all!

SID

Post by SID »

Thanks, Tony.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).