Any Christmas Issues that Stood Out - Past or Present

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Any Christmas Issues that Stood Out - Past or Present

Post by SID »

With Christmas just around the corner, was there any Christmas issues that you particularly enjoyed - past or present?

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: Any Christmas Issues that Stood Out - Past or Present

Post by SID »

As a kid, I loved the Christmas issues of my favourite comics. Pretty much every Christmas issue of The Dandy especially in the 70s. Then there was Cracker's only Christmas issue and 2000AD's 1977 issue.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

babington

Post by babington »

I always thought the cover of Whoopee's Christmas issue for 1976, with Frankie Stein as Santa, is pretty spectacular... other favorites are:

Topper No. 47 (1953)
Sparky No. 310 (1970)
Mickey Mouse No. 99 (1937)
and Phil's terrific collection of Christmas Beano and Dandy covers...

dishes

Post by dishes »

The Dandy one with the long Desperate Dan Christmas Carol spoof (first time around). Completely unexpected and different.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The BEEZER Christmas issue 1967 was a personal fave rave......with a story of a numskulls Santa Claus and mashed potato snow.....sadly I have been unable to revisit this issue since but powerful memories indeed.

SID

Post by SID »

How could I have forgotten The Dandy's 2010 bumper Xmas issue??? *hanging my head in shame* :(

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Seeing the Christmas editions of comics with the cover logo covered in snow was always a special treat as a kid and I loved em all -favurites that I recall were;

The 1966 Beano edition (by Dudley Watkins I think) with a Christmas tree and Biffo etc reflected in the Xmas baubles/ decorations

The 1967 Smash (odhams) which I vividly recall to this day with illos of the Swots & Blots runnnig along the masthead (Odhams did this a lot)

I also remember an early Sparky cover with all the characters signing carols

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

We are all so over-exposed to fanntasy imagery (bombarded from all angles) that it must be difficult for young people to imsgine the magic us old 'uns experienced from the rarity of a. Christmas edition of our regular comics......even Christmas itself is no big deal to me in this age.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Oops.....double post.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 16 Dec 2014, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Mr McScotty wrote:
I also remember an early Sparky cover with all the characters signing carols
Shown on my blog a few years ago. Click and scroll: :)

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... art-2.html

Billythecat

Post by Billythecat »

Talking to an old friend (and fellow forum member) recently and we both have vivid memories of Christmas editions of comics filling us with as much excitement as our glorious annuals. Loved them.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

One annual that really sticks in my mind was a late 60s or very early 70s. POW!annual (or similar) that featured very lurid sci- fi tales and featured an unforgettable image of giant locusts munching a field of crops: an image that still haunts me to this day......can anyone help me pinpoint this annual, please?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:One annual that really sticks in my mind was a late 60s or very early 70s. POW!annual (or similar) that featured very lurid sci- fi tales and featured an unforgettable image of giant locusts munching a field of crops: an image that still haunts me to this day......can anyone help me pinpoint this annual, please?
Sounds like the X-Men story "The Plague of The Locust" from Fantastic Annual 1969, which reprinted X-Men No.24:

http://redcatproductions.com/2011/dange ... he-locust/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The Hotspur Xmas issue 1967 and the Buster Xmas issue 1969 both hold lasting memories of Xmas for me.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for the lead, Lew! As a kid on my way to buy my weekly comics, I well remember my imagination going into overdrive, with visions of those terrifying giant grasshoppers erupting through the grassy verge!