What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently?

Post by SID »

Hiya, Abyss. I was definitely floored too. Never saw it coming! :o And yeah, a full series of DT would have been great but am looking forward to the three TV specials he is in. :up:

Have also started getting Doctor Who Magazine where you can read DT's Doctor's adventures straight after the regeneration scene - am enjoying that. Russell T Davis' articles are a laugh as well.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

I just bought the Christmas issues of Viz and Beano from my local Tesco. 🎅
Attachments
Beano(Xmas2022)2.jpg
Viz(Xmas2022).jpg
Last edited by SID on 08 Jan 2023, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

My Christmas copy of 2000 AD came through the post today. :cheers:
Attachments
2000AD(Xmas2022).jpg
Last edited by SID on 08 Jan 2023, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

SID

Post by SID »

Well I got the last of my modern comic Christmas editions of the season - The Phoenix - through the post the other day.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and Happy 2023! :cheers:
Attachments
ThePhoenix(Xmas2022)b.jpg

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 14:42
Well I got the last of my modern comic Christmas editions of the season - The Phoenix - through the post the other day.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and Happy 2023! :cheers:
Love that Xmas cover SID. The art style reminds of the Japanese cartoon shown between 1979 & 1980 called Adventure of Kum-Kum. Oh, and a Happy 2023 to you also. May your comic sack be full and your wallet too. 8)
Last edited by Into The Abyss on 12 Jan 2023, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Well, hello there! :wave:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Nice to see the Phoenix up to issue 574. Thats a very respectable number. Its already got more issues than Whoopee and the shortest running of the big 5 (the Skipper). It won't be long before it overtakes Sparky.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Got myself a Christmas Beano Comic No.388 from 1949 in FN condition. 🎅

SID

Post by SID »

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Merry Christmas!

Christmas comics:

2000 AD
Judge Dredd Megazine
Monster Fun
Quantum
Beano
Viz

Annuals:

Treasury of British Comics Annual 2024
Beano Annual 2024
The Dandy Annual 2024
Beano & The Dandy Gift Book 2024
Oor Wullie & The Broons Gift Book 2024
Rupert Annual 2024

Missed out on the Christmas Phoenix though. :(

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 00:29
Thanks SID. Yeah, one of those things out of my control. You know what it's like to source rare figure sets, and the hours upon hours back & forth Toys r Us , Tesco's, Forbidden Planet and other stores. 😐

To be honest. I love the classic era of Doctor Who more than the modern stuff, although saying that, think David Tennant & Matt Smith were superb Time Lords. Got all the DVDs like you, and I live in hope one day they'll find more lost episodes or do as they've done recently by animating incomplete stories. Really enjoyed watching those released. 😎
It was confirmed in 2023 that at least 5 other missing episodes do indeed exist but are in the hands of private collectors who are refusing to return them to the BBC,at present.
As for animations,"The Celestial Toymaker" is next up to be released.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 05:01
Into The Abyss wrote:
Thanks SID. Yeah, one of those things out of my control. You know what it's like to source rare figure sets, and the hours upon hours back & forth Toys r Us , Tesco's, Forbidden Planet and other stores. 😐

To be honest. I love the classic era of Doctor Who more than the modern stuff, although saying that, think David Tennant & Matt Smith were superb Time Lords. Got all the DVDs like you, and I live in hope one day they'll find more lost episodes or do as they've done recently by animating incomplete stories. Really enjoyed watching those released. 😎
It was confirmed in 2023 that at least 5 other missing episodes do indeed exist but are in the hands of private collectors who are refusing to return them to the BBC,at present.
Yeah, that's the problem. Collectors fear giving up episodes they have will not be returned even though they had the common sense to save from being junked .

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 14:04
jim244 wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 05:01
Into The Abyss wrote:

Yeah, that's the problem. Collectors fear giving up episodes they have will not be returned even though they had the common sense to save from being junked .
Exactly the point and a shame.There are also collectors that fear they may be sued due to the Bob Monkhouse infamous case.
At one point I believe that 152 episodes were missing so it's incredible that now that total is 97.
I can see that number going down to 92 eventually but not beyond that.
I am grateful that all audios of the missing episodes exist.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Bob Monkhouse was a fascinating character. Great man. Sorely missed.

Coincidentally, I watched the other week a documentary featuring his last performance in front of select few of comedians in a Q&A shortly before his untimely death in 2003. Sad to watch, although very interesting to hear his life story & influences.

I know Bob Monkhouse, like his counterpart actor Roddy Macdowell in the US., were both experts, collectors & archivists of rare silent movies & TV that would be lost if it were not for them. I know they were both initially charged with but exonerated, especially in Monkhouse case, with attempting to defraud film distributors of royalties, but in both cases a judge decided that there was no case to answer.

I know he (Monkhouse) taped thousands of hours of TV shows, some lost presumed wiped. He also was a huge collector of comic artwork , some from the Beano & Eagle comics. 🙂

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 04:45
Bob Monkhouse was a fascinating character. Great man. Sorely missed.

Coincidentally, I watched the other week a documentary featuring his last performance in front of select few of comedians in a Q&A shortly before his untimely death in 2003. Sad to watch, although very interesting to hear his life story & influences.

I know Bob Monkhouse, like his counterpart actor Roddy Macdowell in the US., were both experts, collectors & archivists of rare silent movies & TV that would be lost if it were not for them. I know they were both initially charged with but exonerated, especially in Monkhouse case, with attempting to defraud film distributors of royalties, but in both cases a judge decided that there was no case to answer.

I know he (Monkhouse) taped thousands of hours of TV shows, some lost presumed wiped. He also was a huge collector of comic artwork , some from the Beano & Eagle comics. 🙂
Also watched the doc you mention.Brilliant.
In my opinion,Bob was one of the very best comedians ever and although I never met him,according to conventional wisdom,an extremely nice guy.

In Bobs' trial,one of the witnesses for the prosecution was....Terry Wogan!!!!

Amongst Monkhouse’s collection was a thank you note, officers discovered, from a 10-year old boy by the name of Andrew. The note thanked Monkhouse for lending him a film for his birthday party. Turns out that Andrew was Terry Wogan’s son, hence him being called as a witness. Wogan confirmed the letter was from his young son, adding “Bob once lent me a book as well – was he diddling the Maidenhead lending library?”

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Bob also drew comic strips, for smaller publishers I think, I have a comic with one of his strips on the cover which he signed as Ramon.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
13 Jan 2024, 15:44
Bob also drew comic strips, for smaller publishers I think, I have a comic with one of his strips on the cover which he signed as Ramon.
Totally correct Steve.Bob also wrote for the Beano and Dandy.Bizzare but true.