What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently?

Post by SID »

Just ordered the Christmas copy of The Phoenix for my Christmas Comic Collection.

Anyway, since it is now Christmas Day, I just want to wish everyone a BIG MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Attachments
ThePhoenix Xmas2021.jpg
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID, this sounds spooky. But I too had a gigantic Doctor Who collection comprising of both modern figures & sets that included every Forbidden Planet ltd ed releases and Dapol & Palitoy sets & toys including original John Nathan Turner owned BBC archive Doctor Who scrips he saved from the skip.

Also, had some scripts owned by actors & writers. Had to sell them all when my roof needed replacing being stored in my attic. As mention, still got loads of small things including one or two Tom Baker signed figure sets and 80+ original cast signed prints, videos etc... Gutted I had to sell my classic figures & sets though. πŸ™„
Well, hello there! :wave:

SID

Post by SID »

Sorry to hear that, Abyss. But at least they were there to save the day.

I have all the Jon Pertwee & David Tenant DVDs (my favourite Doctors) as well as some William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Peter Davison.

I am also like Big Finish's productions and have a lot of their Doctor Who CDs.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Thanks SID. Yeah, one of those things out of my control. You know what it's like to source rare figure sets, and the hours upon hours back & forth Toys r Us , Tesco's, Forbidden Planet and other stores. 😐

To be honest. I love the classic era of Doctor Who more than the modern stuff, although saying that, think David Tennant & Matt Smith were superb Time Lords. Got all the DVDs like you, and I live in hope one day they'll find more lost episodes or do as they've done recently by animating incomplete stories. Really enjoyed watching those released. 😎

SID

Post by SID »

Ditto, Abyss. I love the classic Who especially the 3rd Doctor which was the my introduction.

For Christmas, I got two restored (animation) DVDs - one William Hartnell and one Patrick Troughton which I have still to watch.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2021, 11:54
Ditto, Abyss. I love the classic Who especially the 3rd Doctor which was the my introduction.

For Christmas, I got two restored (animation) DVDs - one William Hartnell and one Patrick Troughton which I have still to watch.
Oh, excellent SID. Got myself some classic TV dvds, dvd player ect.... some chocolates too , actually a lot of them. Likely be 20st and have no teeth left by February, lol. 😁

Yeah, good choice. Pertwee was the James Bond of Doctor Who. Bit of an action man. Loved him in the superb Devil's End. Got two multi cast signed Return To Devil's End videos too. Seen some on eBay in the past with an asking price of £300. Surprising really.😲

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Oh, excellent SID. Got myself some classic TV dvds, dvd player ect.... some chocolates too , actually a lot of them. Likely be 20st and have no teeth left by February, lol. 😁

Yeah, good choice. Pertwee was the James Bond of Doctor Who. Bit of an action man. Loved him in the superb Devil's End story. Got two multi cast signed Return To Devil's End videos too. Seen some on eBay in the past with an asking price of £300. Surprising really.😲

SID

Post by SID »

Into The Abyss wrote: ↑
27 Dec 2021, 02:29

Yeah, good choice. Pertwee was the James Bond of Doctor Who. Bit of an action man. Loved him in the superb Devil's End story. Got two multi cast signed Return To Devil's End videos too. Seen some on eBay in the past with an asking price of £300. Surprising really.😲
Ha! Ha! I got plenty of chocolates for Christmas too, Abyss (which I am manfully trying to get through). :up:

Devil's End was one of my favourite stories too (along with most Earth-based JP adventures) though didn't know there was a reunion video in the 90s.

And I see what you mean: I found a signed VHS for sale on eBay for Β£299. Definitely a bit too steep for my liking. :D

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID, just about picked my belly off the floor the last time we spoke. Ate a large box of Maltesers that night and nearly puked. I rattled more than a snake on its wedding night.

I know about that video you found on eBay. Used to be three listed once. As you know, you can put a price on anything but you've got to find someone willing to part with the cash. Coincidentally bought the two I own for under £60. Yeah, I'm as jammy as a wagon wheel. 😎

Got also two ltd ed John Pertwee Mythmakers videos signed. In fact got a lot of items signed by Pertwee. They're all boxed away on top of the wardrobe. πŸ™‚

SID

Post by SID »

30 Dec 2021, 17:05
SID, just about picked my belly off the floor the last time we spoke. Ate a large box of Maltesers that night and nearly puked. I rattled more than a snake on its wedding night.

I know about that video you found on eBay. Used to be three listed once. As you know, you can put a price on anything but you've got to find someone willing to part with the cash. Coincidentally bought the two I own for under £60. Yeah, I'm as jammy as a wagon wheel. 😎

Got also two ltd ed John Pertwee Mythmakers videos signed. In fact got a lot of items signed by Pertwee. They're all boxed away on top of the wardrobe. πŸ™‚
Happy New Year, Abyss. :cheers:
So are you a JP fan?

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Thanks SID. Sorry for the delay in responding. Happy 2022 to you too. πŸ˜€πŸŽ‰βœ¨πŸ’₯

Yeah, love Jon Pertwee. Superb Doctor & actor. Got all his stories on DVD. Saying that, have all the classic Doctor Who stories ever released.

Talking about classic Doctor Who. Looking forward to when they release the animated story. The Abominable Snowman with Pat Troughton. 😎

SID

Post by SID »

Where did the year go? Let's hope next year gets a little better.

In the meantime, we have Christmas to look forward to and I have my first Christmas issue of the year:

Monster Fun
Attachments
MonsterFun(Xmas2022).jpg
Last edited by SID on 07 Dec 2022, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

SID

Post by SID »

08 Jan 2022, 23:28
Thanks SID. Sorry for the delay in responding. Happy 2022 to you too. πŸ˜€πŸŽ‰βœ¨πŸ’₯

Yeah, love Jon Pertwee. Superb Doctor & actor. Got all his stories on DVD. Saying that, have all the classic Doctor Who stories ever released.

Talking about classic Doctor Who. Looking forward to when they release the animated story. The Abominable Snowman with Pat Troughton. 😎
Hi, Abyss. Only seems like five minutes ago that we were talking about Doctor Who. :) Did you get a copy of The Abominable Snowman in the end? And what do you think about David Tennant returning (temporarily I know) to the helm?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Tin Can Tommy wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2021, 12:59
After reading both the Viz and Beano christmas specials. I decided to put a mini-review here.

The Viz christmas special is ok here. I liked the Tom Paterson art work although I much prefer his work in the Beano and Dandy and the recent Monster Fun. I think colour adds a lot to it. Plus I just didnt find it that funny. Thats a problem I have with Viz overall really though, I find the humour very much hit and miss. Sometimes its absolutely hilarious and other times I just feel confused not sure where the joke is.

This years Beano Christmas special though was excellent. Its one long story but there's also a number of strips by other artists that link in to the main story. I think it works really well and is honestly some of the funniest stuff the Beano's done in years. I actually laughed at some of the jokes. They did something similar in this year's summer special too which I also really enjoyed. The artwork is top notch through out with a couple of exceptions. I'm not a big fan of the new Calamity James artist, it's hard to explain but it just feels a bit off. The only other thing I disliked is the puzzle pages but that might be more because they just dont appeal to me as an adult.
I read this years Beano Christmas special a couple of days ago. And just like last years I quite enjoyed it. Thinking back I didnt even dislike the puzzle pages this time so maybe I liked it more than last year. Its a similar format to last years with one long story done by a variety of artists with different pages doing the story by different character's perspectives in differing art styles. Which I think works really well. They do give a lot of time to some of the newer Beano characters, most of which are good additions to the comic, but there are a few I dislike.

I dont read the weeklies anymore but these specials are a treat.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

07 Dec 2022, 17:00
08 Jan 2022, 23:28

Hi, Abyss. Only seems like five minutes ago that we were talking about Doctor Who. :) Did you get a copy of The Abominable Snowman in the end? And what do you think about David Tennant returning (temporarily I know) to the helm?
Hi Sid. I did indeed. What a great dvd. Myself always look forward to any new Doctor Who releases animated. Had a load of fan-made recons in my dvd collection, as we all do as fans from lost stories, but it's nice to have an official BBC one. Cross fingers more are made. I know there's been a falling out with the animation company resulting in rumours no more will be made. Hope that's not the case. 🀞

Yeah, when I saw David Tennant appear after Jodie Whittaker's regeneration was floored. Didn't expect that one? Looking forward to the new series episodes when he'll appear before regenerating once again. Pity they couldn't have him the series in a little longer before he hands over the Time Lord baton to Ncuti Gatwa. πŸ™‚