Politics in kids comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Bethanys grandad

Politics in kids comics

Post by Bethanys grandad »

I was thinking with an election coming up soon have comics had MPs or the prime minister in a strip for political reasons, I know during the war a lot went on as propaganda , but I'm thinking since the war, eg Biffo the bear meeting Harold Wilson or Maggie

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Politics in kids comics

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Cameron was in the Beano last year, wasn't he? Obama definitely was, I know that much.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think Alex Salmond was in the Broons.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Captain Britain met (and rescued) Jim Callachan. Mrs Thatcher was also in there later on IIRC.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I can remember John Major being in the first Bash St Kids special, from 1994.

Also, back in the day, "celebrities" were usually politicians, royals and military commanders. Old story papers from the early 20th century often had illustrations of various kings, queens and kaisers (he's always the easy one), with the facial features removed, but beards and moustaches remaining. You had to pair them up with their country for prizes.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Alex Salmon and Gordon Brown both appeared in the Broons but probably the most out and out political endorsement was in Eric Larsen's Savage Dragon issue 137 where on the cover he outright backs Obama ( of course Mr Obama had a famous appearance in Spider Man isse 583 also) - Kennedy, Nixon , Carter and Clinton were all also pretty heavily represented in US comics in the late 60s - 2000 - Thatcher of course had a good few appearances in Hellraiser, V for Vendetta the (wonderful) St Swithen's Day and in various Stev Bell strips and so many underground books ( as you would imagine)