Which comics can you read over and aver again?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Muffy

Re: Which comics can you read over and aver again?

Post by Muffy »

These are the ones that I do read over and over: Dr Who Weekly/Monthly 1-70; Tammy & Jinty’s Pam of Pond Hill; Uncanny X-Men 110-143; Buster comic 1977-1982; Cheeky Weekly; Watchmen; Alan Davis’ Captain Britain artworked stories and Excalibur; Camelot 3000; Judge Dredd - Cursed Earth; Early Alpha Flight; occasional Conan tales; Strontium Dog - Portrait of a Mutant; Marvel’s Empire Strikes Back adaptation ...

All the ‘classics’ really from 1970s and 1980s

[By over and over I mean every 4 to 10 years]
Last edited by Muffy on 18 May 2015, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm happy with almost any DC comic from the early 1960s, beyond which I love some of their short-run titles like Inferior Five, Bat Lash, Enemy Ace and Anthro. For British comics I can happily re-read Ken Reid's Jonah, any early Wham!, Charley's War, the Ro-Busters 'Terra-Meks' tale, Judge Dredd in the Cursed Earth and the Apocalypse War, Wrath of the Gods in Boys' World, most Alan Moore stories, Jason Hyde in Valiant and the Spider in Lion.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:I'm happy with almost any DC comic from the early 1960s, beyond which I love some of their short-run titles like Inferior Five, Bat Lash, Enemy Ace and Anthro. For British comics I can happily re-read Ken Reid's Jonah, any early Wham!, Charley's War, the Ro-Busters 'Terra-Meks' tale, Judge Dredd in the Cursed Earth and the Apocalypse War, Wrath of the Gods in Boys' World, most Alan Moore stories, Jason Hyde in Valiant and the Spider in Lion.
ABC Warriors Mars Tales are ones that I pull out and read over and over again. I just love Big George.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

I wonder if we're meaning different things. There's a lot of comics I absolutely love (e.g. Star*Lord) but, by over and over again, I mean I read them multiple times a year. So, don't read many Avengers or Fantastic Four again and again but I do with Gabriel the Air-Walker and the Celestial Madonna saga. Krazy is my favourite humour comic but I couldn't read issue 30 for example over and over again. Not even Star*Lord's Strontium Dog, great though it is.

There's a lot to Watchmen. Not so much to Birdman & Chicken, even if it is entertaining on the occasional read.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

starscape wrote:I wonder if we're meaning different things. There's a lot of comics I absolutely love (e.g. Star*Lord) but, by over and over again, I mean I read them multiple times a year. So, don't read many Avengers or Fantastic Four again and again but I do with Gabriel the Air-Walker and the Celestial Madonna saga. Krazy is my favourite humour comic but I couldn't read issue 30 for example over and over again. Not even Star*Lord's Strontium Dog, great though it is.

There's a lot to Watchmen. Not so much to Birdman & Chicken, even if it is entertaining on the occasional read.
Ah I see. No, I can't say I read any comic multiple times every year, but there are various stories I've read multiple times over the last 50 years.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I was taking it to mean the comics which are "comfort reading". They don't need to be good or popular, they just need to be the thing you might curl up with when you're ill, or sad, or it's raining and miserable outside. For me that's silly 1960s Lois Lane/Jimmy Olsen/Superman. I don't read them every couple of months. It doesn't matter if I don't read them for years at a time, but they will be there when I need them.

I'm sure nostalgia has a lot to do with it. I suspect a lot of people have picked comics from their childhood. I know I did.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.