British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

chrisb

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by chrisb »

The Young Rebel is Canal Courier from, as you say, The Victor. It ran in 1983 in issues 1143 to 1155.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The Boomerang one is Boomerang Boy from the Victor. I recognised the art as Jim Watson's straight away and Adrian Banfield has listed it as running from issues 1156 to 1166 (16 April to 25 June 1983)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Raven wrote:
ramirez wrote:Jack Pamby is mentioned as artist, but was John Stokes also involved? That page I 've uploaded above seems like his style.
Or is that John Catchpole? Some of the faces resemble his work in the 1976 Lion Annual.

The New Adventures of Robinson Crusoe looks like it's drawn by the same artist who drew Survivor and Valley of Fear for Bullet, whom I don't think anyone here has been able to name.
I would agree with you that it is the same artist Raven.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Perhaps he 's still unidentifiable because he 's Spanish? :D

Do we know the name of the Canal Courier artist? I know he has drawn at least one football strip too, don 't remember its title right now...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:Perhaps he 's still unidentifiable because he 's Spanish? :D

Do we know the name of the Canal Courier artist? I know he has drawn at least one football strip too, don 't remember its title right now...
It looks like it is the work of Maidagan who has drawn a number of series for D C Thomson since the early 1970s.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The unknown artist on the 'Pirates' strip may well be Spanish but I'm pretty certain that the strip itself is from a D C Thomson boys picture paper. Hotspur I think. I'll try to track it down.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Even with a small picture as a sample, his profile on lambiek.net suggests that you are right, colcool007... :cheers:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:Even with a small picture as a sample, his profile on lambiek.net suggests that you are right, colcool007... :cheers:
Would you believe that Kashgar gave me that name back in 2007? I had forgotten it and then David Roach reminded me of it on Facebook a few weeks ago.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Found the guy that drew the "Pirates" strip. Tomás Porto...

By the way, was there a "Kids Rule-OK" strip in Action but also in Champ as well?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:Found the guy that drew the "Pirates" strip. Tomás Porto...

By the way, was there a "Kids Rule-OK" strip in Action but also in Champ as well?
There was but the one in Champ was much, much tamer. The Champ version was a sit in so that the kids of Kingsway Comprehensive could save their school. This name always made me smile as it is the name of a main rod in Dundee. Imagine how big my smile got when I found out that the main D C Thomson printworks was on the same road!

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I know, the Champ version has been printed in greek, I was just perplexed why on earth there are two strips with the same name...

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I think the artist of "Robinson Crusoe..." is César Aurelio Spadari.

By the way, I believe there was a Mike White strip concerning two kids (brother-sister again as in the Puzzler). Their father is a scientist and has created mechanical ancient animals for a science fair (long time before Jurassic Park) and after a lightning they begin operating on their own. Could you advise the english title and magazine?

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

March of the Mighty Ones. It appeared in Monster Fun from issue one (June 1975). The creatures were created for a film shoot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:I know, the Champ version has been printed in greek, I was just perplexed why on earth there are two strips with the same name...
The comics were printed by different publishers so not really a surprise that a generic name such as Kids Rule OK was used by both companies. Action which featured the more controversial version was published by Fleetway in the 1970s whereas the much tamer Champ was published by D C Thomson in the 1980s.

I hope that explains it a bit more for you Ramirez.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Well I still don 't get it, and I don 't get how DC Thomson were not sued by Fleetway for infringment. :lol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and thanks for the name of the Mike White strip, Robbie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I found that the football strip I mentioned on page 5 is "GIVE IT TO GREGORY!" from SCORE 'n' ROAR. Does anyone recognise the artist?