British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by philcom55 »

I thought President's Man looked like Will Simpson's work. Somewhere or other I've got an American-style comic book he drew for Alton Towers, based on their 'Nemesis' ride.
Attachments
normal_nemesis_comic_01-front.jpg

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Kashgar wrote:The 'Pirate Morgan' strip comes from the Hotspur.
Excellent. And with this answer I wish you all a happy summer. I promise I won 't pester you for the next few months... :lol:

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

OK, time for some more pestering, since I started indexing the "Trueno" anthology. I believe the artist is Bill Lacey, and I 'm interested to know which magazine this two page story came from. There are other similar 2-pagers from different artists, but I don 't intend to identify them all, just the origin. Perhaps that sign at the upper left corner might reveal its identity, cause it 's there on most of the 2-pagers.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Eureka! :lol: They 're from Battle and the originals have an insignia "Battle badge of bravery" around that sign at the upper corner.

I 've also identified a WWII strip that was mentioned on page 3 of this thread. Its title is "They can 't stop Bullet!" and it 's also from Battle...

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I 'm not certain if this '70s story is from a British or an Italian comic, so I thought to ask. The greek title is "The ruthless manager" and is about a football coach named Tiger Kurz (or something sounding like Kurz) that pushes his players to the max and eventually loses it, as is evident from the pages I 've uploaded. Any thoughts?

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I 've got another one. 8 page story, possibly from an Annual, about a kid with a portable clock that takes him back in time (seems like Kelly 's Eye knock-off). In this occasion he accidentally travels to the prehistoric age along with some movie people who think the beasts are all mechanical. Can 't identify the original story (if there ever was one). Its greek title title is Time traveller but it seems rather random. Any ideas about what it could be?
Last edited by ramirez on 16 Dec 2016, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Sounds like Danny Jones, Time Traveller from Tiger. Unfortunately I can't get the link to work.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I fixed it Phil (don 't know why it wasn 't the shared picture link from Google to begin with). And I believe you 're spot on even without looking at the pages. :notworthy:

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

That Danny Jones strip is from the 1974 Hurricane Annual. Artwork by John Stokes if i'm not mistaken.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Incidentally the Fantasy author Michael Moorcock said that he remembered writing some episodes of Danny Jones.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

How about this one? The main character is named Nick Shadow and is a secret agent, although in this story arc he faces a gang with an unknown leader who addresses others behind a huge skull, at the luna park where is the gang 's hideout. The greek title is "The man that was called 39" (as opposed to 007 I guess)...

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Definitely drawn by Tom Kerr. I'd have to check but I think it's 'The Man Called 39' from Valiant.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

You're right Phil, it's "The Man Called 39" which began in the first combined issue of Valiant and Knockout. Those particular pages are from the issue dated 16th march 1963.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

The team is on fire. :D I hope the winning streak continues with the next strip. The greek title is Suicide Club, it involves WWI pilots and apparently one of the lot gets killed every week. Hopefully one of the forum 's lot will be able to identify this story... :P

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

While I 'm still hoping that someone will identify the "Suicide Club" strip, I 've got 2 more questions for you. The first regards the series "Red Baron" that was published in Battle. I understand the artist is Jim Watson, but who is the writer?

The second is for a Tom Kerr strip with a dwarf-like robber as the main character, always attempting (and succeeding) to ridicule police commisioner Swarmy (if I 'm writing his name correctly). The dwarf looks a lot like The Spider, only in smaller size, but the strip 's spirit is tongue-in-cheek funny unlike Spider 's. I shall upload a scan if necessary. I 've stumpled upon it at some point but I can 't remember where...