British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comixminx

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by comixminx »

Featherweight Freddie is drawn by Robert MacGillivray as far as I can see from that snippet.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

andyforkgen

Post by andyforkgen »

Hi Everyone,

Looking through the posts, I am not sure if we ever identified this one:

This was definitely in a UK annual - probably around the late 60s. I am sure this is still in my Mum's loft; the story centred around the friend falling asleep on the searchlight and rather than wake him up the guys still beamed the searchlight otherwise they would have missed searchlight practice. However the image of their friend was beamed up to the sky and everyone thought that the aliens were invading! I distinctly remember this as the term used for the sleeping guy was a "batman" (I believe a military term for a servant / valet).

I'll see if I can dig it out but it's definitely and English origin cartoon. Brayne Drayne seems to ring a bell but I may be wrong...

Thanks all,

Andy.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

You're correct Andy, it is Brain Drayne.

The strip ran in Buster/Buster and the Big One from January to July 1965.

Some strips were reprinted in Valiant in 1972/73.

http://tebeosytebeos.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... terra.html identifies the artist as Martz Schmidt. I'm assuming they mean Gustavo Martz-Schmidt.
Attachments
10.jpg

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Hallo again and merry holidays to all. My new job hasn 't allowed me to participate as much as I 'd wished, but anyway...

I have a new enquiry, which I suspect is a Battle story but haven 't been able to confirm it. Its greek title is "The coward", and it 's about a soldier that was framed and everyone, including his higher ranking brother, believe him to be a coward, so he needs to escape and prove his innocence. Rather short story, just a few episodes. I 'm looking for the original title and its creators.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/ ... aLNNMDpKQJ

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Ramirez, I can't see the pictures. Any chance of posting them somewhere else?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Hopefully now it will be visible...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... 1MNzRPb1dn

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Ramirez, I've found it now. :-) The original story was called Coward's Brand on Bradley and it was indeed published in Battle from issues 13 to 26. The artist was Juan Ripoll and the writer was either Pat Mills or John Wagner.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

:cheers:

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Happy new year everyone. :grouphug: :cheers:

Wanting to use the holiday spirit to my advantage :lol: , I have a few more questions.

1. Was the story "Mike 's mini men" named "Mike Daley 's table football" in the beginning? Also, do we know who the authors were?
2. Who were the authors of "Demon Dwarf" in Lion?
3. Who were the authors of "Prisoner of Zenga" in Valiant 1977 annual?
4. Was there a Samurai world war 2 story in Battle? If so, what was the original title and who were the authors?
5. There was a story called "Operation shark" in Battle that Mike Western drew. Was this the title from the beginning or it had a different one, like "Operation eel" or something?
6. Who were the authors of "Mice of Tobruk" in Bullet?
7. Who drew "Can-do kids" in Whizzer?

Just these few things... :D

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Well, off the top of my head:

2.) 'Demon Dwarf' was a continuation of 'Black Max', written by Ken Mennell and drawn by Alfonso Font.

4.) That could be 'Darkie's Mob' by John Wagner and Mike Western.

7.) As far as I'm aware the 'Can-Do Kids' appeared in Lion during 1971-72, scripted by Mills & Wagner and drawn by Carlos Cruz (with a handful of episodes by Tom Kerr).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And to add to Phil's reply...

1. It was always Mike's Mini-Men. Can't help with writer or artist.

5. Again, it was always Operation Shark. Writer credits are given to Tom Tully. This was a story about the resistance movement in the Channel Islands during World War Two.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

philcom55 wrote:...Well, off the top of my head:

2.) 'Demon Dwarf' was a continuation of 'Black Max', written by Ken Mennell and drawn by Alfonso Font.

4.) That could be 'Darkie's Mob' by John Wagner and Mike Western.

7.) As far as I'm aware the 'Can-Do Kids' appeared in Lion during 1971-72, scripted by Mills & Wagner and drawn by Carlos Cruz (with a handful of episodes by Tom Kerr).
2. I thought about Font, but it didn 't look like him, especially compared to the much darker in tone and inks Black Max. By the way, was the story called from the begining "The secrets of the demon dwarf"?

Ah, I found a page containing work of Font and there are a couple of Demon Dwarf pages.

7. Duh. I meant to write Lion, not Whizzer. Thanks for that.

4. As for the Samurai story, it 's not Darkie 's mob. I 've got the Titan collection, so if there aren 't any ideas, I'll scan a page or two like usual.

And one more question I forgot. There was a story from Victor I believe, drawn by Ted Rawlings, regarding a giant frog created by the leakage of some radioactive fluid. Its greek title was The hour of the monsters. Any ideas about the original title?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Ramirez,

Not at home so haven't got my collection to refer to but the Ted Rawlings strip you are referring to had a title something like 'The Monsters of Wave Island' although in my mind I see it in Wizard rather than Victor. I'm sure someone with access to the relevant issues in the next couple of days will be able to confirm or deny this before I get home and have access to mine.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks to the wonders of a somewhat ancient technology I.e an old notebook I happen to have with me I can confirm that the strip you are referring did appear in Wizard rather than Victor and was actually titled 'The Monsters from Wave Rock'. It appeared in Wizards dated (24/11/73)-(26/1/74).

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I 'm including a scan of the Rawlings strip to make sure this is the story we 're talking about, since it has the Victor tag at the corner.

I 'm also posting a scan of that Samurai story to help us find out which one it is.

Also a confirmation please, whether the Demon Dwarf strip was named from the start "The secrets of the demon dwarf". Thanks a lot...
Last edited by ramirez on 03 Jan 2016, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.