Who is the current Broons/Oor Wullie artist?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

jakob1978

Who is the current Broons/Oor Wullie artist?

Post by jakob1978 »

I've been away with work for a while and not been able to read the Sunday Post. The last issues I read had the art done by Peter Davidson (who always signed his work with a P surrounded by a D). But this week was my first issue back and I notice the art has a different signature, a DJP. It doesn't look hugely different, but I was wondering who the latest artist is.

I must admit, I still miss the work of Ken H Harrison, I think, aside from obviously Dudley Watkins, his was the best Broons/Oor Wullie.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Who is the current Broons/Oor Wullie artist?

Post by AndyB »

I didn't see that week's, but they're reprints this week from the early 1980s. The Broons is by Peter, and Oor Wullie by John Polland.

More information here.

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

I wonder if all is well with Peter. The strips two weeks ago were also reprints from the early 1980s, updated with new speech balloons.

"DJP" looks to have been a one-off.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

DJP could have course be John Polland's initials.

Peter is still drawing Harry on the same page. Unless it's gone to reprint as well, I would have gone for either budget cuts or Morris Heggie has given up writing them - he of course succeeded David Donaldson

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I know Stephen White is doing a fair amount of The Broons work these days.

And as I missed the Morris Heggie talk yesterday, I was not able to ask him about it.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

Usually a preview frame from the upcoming weekend's Oor Wullie and the Broons stories appear on their respective Facebook page. None have appeared as yet - if they haven't after tomorrow then I suspect that it may be reprints again this weekend.

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

It's "DJP" again this week, illustrating Oor Wullie, The Broons and Wee Harry.

I have to admit I like his style, very reminiscent of the Ken Harrison era.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And I can confirm that Ferg Handley has just added Oor Wullie to his CV with today's script being his first to be published.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

colcool007 wrote:And I can confirm that Ferg Handley has just added Oor Wullie to his CV with today's script being his first to be published.
I wonder if that explains the reprints and rehashing of 1980s strips during the last few weeks?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Lew's confirmed that it's Diego Jourdan Pereira.

Diego drew Ivy the Terrible for some time a few years ago.

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

Excellent, Andy. "Fill-in strips" - that explains the appearance of rehashed early 1980s strips a few weeks ago. I see Diego has now added Oor Wullie, the Broons and Wee Harry to his CV.

If Peter decides to (or has had to) stop doing them then Diego is a worthy successor, retaining the look and feel of Peter's strips with the humour which characterised Ken's work.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm not so keen on using the same image of a character twice..duplication on the computer...using the same body parts..
I like fresh artwork on each panel.

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

This week it's all Peter Davidson's artwork - new for Oor Wulie and Wee Harry, while the Broons is a reprint from the early 80s.