Sea War Picture Library - 1962

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Sea War Picture Library - 1962

Post by philcom55 »

Oddly enough I picked up a copy of Sea War #4 yesterday, but unfortunately it doesn't help to find out what the first issue was called.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Oddly enough I picked up a copy of Sea War #4 yesterday, but unfortunately it doesn't help to find out what the first issue was called.
Thanks anyway. I'm not going to let this go but I need to approach it from a different angle as I'm exhausting avenues currently. #3 is for sale currently btw: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sea-war-pictu ... Sw9IpXy1sJ

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Pearsons TV Picture Stories.
Emergency Ward 10 #1 was titled, Calling Nurse Roberts.
One of the problems with figuring out TV Picture Stories is the odd Person numbering with there sometimes being a number for TV Picture Stories as a title, plus each title at times having it's own numbering. EW10 had 21 issues, William Tell had 3 issues #1 being titled The Assassins. Sometimes an issue number appeared on the cover but later issues would have a number inside and some issues didn't have a number. I can find the titles for other TV picture Stories #1, I think. And none of the above should be confused with the Pearson series, TV Photo Stories :roll:
If anyone can add to this or explain it better, it would make me, and some others, very happy :D

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Pearsons TV Picture Stories.
Emergency Ward 10 #1 was titled, Calling Nurse Roberts.
One of the problems with figuring out TV Picture Stories is the odd Person numbering with there sometimes being a number for TV Picture Stories as a title, plus each title at times having it's own numbering. EW10 had 21 issues, William Tell had 3 issues #1 being titled The Assassins. Sometimes an issue number appeared on the cover but later issues would have a number inside and some issues didn't have a number. I can find the titles for other TV picture Stories #1, I think. And none of the above should be confused with the Pearson series, TV Photo Stories :roll:
If anyone can add to this or explain it better, it would make me, and some others, very happy :D
Thanks for the EW10 heads up Paw. I see that the EW10 title changed from Picture Stories to "All in Pictures" at some time too.

These Pearson's Picture stories are making my head hurt. There are over a dozen titles I've found and I can't see the logic in their progression or numbering for the life of me! Do you think they were a dozen or so different comic runs or did a new issue come out each week and it was any one of the 12+ titles. Looking at the numbering, I can't see any duplicates ie a William Tell 2 and an OSS 2 so maybe they were all Picture Stories and a different programme was covered each week? The non numbered ones are the fly in that ointment though.

There are some great covers on GCD but they don't help much! http://www.comics.org/series/56735/covers/

Now you've got me really going with "Pearson series, TV Photo Stories"....what's that as I haven't come across that yet?! Please tell me you mean the Continental Photo Stories?? Please??

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, they are really difficult to figure out. And just to add to the headache, TV photo stories was a short series of photo novels by Pearsons in 1960 and these pocket library sized comics had photo covers - like the Highway Patrol comics and others but the stories were told in photos from the shows. Titles were, OSS; William Tell; Dial 999; Buccaneers.

Also, and I hope this isn't a headache too far, Pearson also published Film Picture Library, 1959, 3 issues, I think, the first being Warlock, photo cover of Henry Fonda and a comic strip adaptation of the film inside, art by Terry Aspin. I'm looking at Warlock right now and the back cover has an ad. for Highway Patrol; Sheriff of Cochise; Murder Bag (this was the precursor to No Hiding Place); and Emergency Ward 10. I'm fortunate to have the Highway Patrol; Murder Bag and EW 10 issues plus a few more. A pal of mine has a lot more but will he sell them? Fatto de chanceo!

I've had a look at an issue of Dixon of Dock Green as an example of numbering. The guide lists this issue - Bracelets for the Groom as #2. The comic has no number on the cover or spine, but the indicia suggests it's #30. So, I suppose it's the second issue of DODG and the 30th comic in the TV Picture Stories series.. By the way, the tile of the first DODG is, A Whiff of Garlic.
Clear as mud.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

paw broon wrote:...Pearson also published Film Picture Library, 1959, 3 issues, I think, the first being Warlock, photo cover of Henry Fonda and a comic strip adaptation of the film inside, art by Terry Aspin. ...Clear as mud.
I'm very interested in Terry Aspin, Paw.He did such a lot of lovely girls comics. Was his art credited in the Film Picture Library that you mention? Could you scan a page of his art and post it up at all? I'd love to compare what he did back then to his later work.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Adam & comixminx,
The cover of Warlock (Film Picture Library #1) and the splash and pages 2 & 3 of the story. Hope this helps. If you need more, please let me know.
Attachments
WA0003.jpg
WA0002.jpg
WA0001.jpg

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

paw broon wrote:Adam & comixminx,
The cover of Warlock (Film Picture Library #1) and the splash and pages 2 & 3 of the story. Hope this helps. If you need more, please let me know.
Thanks Paw! They have come out ever so tiny though, Is there some way to enlarge them I wonder? It would be great to be able to see the signature in particular.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Thanks Paw, here's a couple of covers I have
Attachments
wwpl.jpg
sapl.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As I've never quite got the hang of how to add pics to a post on this forum, I think the easiest way is to send you a link to my Mediafire page where you'll find full size scans of the pages. When I get round to it, that is - probably this afternoon, as I have to go and do some shopping right now. Bus due in 10 minutes. Rush, rush, rush :D

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Click the following links and you'll be able to open or download the 3 pages. Hopefully the signature will be clear enough.
Any problems, please let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/d6ny7hnyo ... WA0002.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/06ysv0660 ... WA0003.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6pi2r77gn ... WA0004.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Air War #1 - 'Death From The Skies'
Wild West #1 - 'Gun Rule'
Hey Phil, look what I just found!
Attachments
AW1.JPG

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's great Adam! I only knew the title because it was advertised in no.2 (presumably they were released two at a time).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:That's great Adam! I only knew the title because it was advertised in no.2 (presumably they were released two at a time).
Found it on Ebay and bought it on the spot. I'll see what info I can get from it when it arrives.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

paw broon wrote:Click the following links and you'll be able to open or download the 3 pages. Hopefully the signature will be clear enough.
Any problems, please let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/d6ny7hnyo ... WA0002.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/06ysv0660 ... WA0003.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6pi2r77gn ... WA0004.jpg
Lovely, Paw! I don't think I know of any girls comics that Terry Aspin signed so I can't compare his signature. The art itself is presumably some of his earliest work! I wouldn't have recognized it at all but the page where the old woman and the man are talking does look more like his typical art.

Many thanks again!