Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway characters

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Retro1972
Posts: 52
Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 17:35

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by Retro1972 »

Thanks Lew. Suspected that was the case. Action Force is a pretty forgotten toy line and cant imagine much demand for its return. i am still hoping for a Dredger collection at some point.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by Lew Stringer »

Retro1972 wrote:Thanks Lew. Suspected that was the case. Action Force is a pretty forgotten toy line and cant imagine much demand for its return. i am still hoping for a Dredger collection at some point.
I understand Titan have the licence to reprint Action material at the moment. A deal they struck with Egmont before Rebellion got the rights. (Same with Battle.) I don't know when that expires but at present a Dredger book might be more likely from Titan than Rebellion. Personally I'd be happy to wait until Rebellion can do it.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Retro1972
Posts: 52
Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 17:35

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by Retro1972 »

Yeah I loved the "Invasion" one they did, so would be great to see Dredger.
Sadly I just couldnt get into "Savage" from the early 2000's.
Aside from "One Eyed jack" which I am halfway through, is there any other 70s british tough guy stories you would recommend???

many thanks

User avatar
judomole
Posts: 120
Joined: 25 Oct 2013, 13:39
Location: Bedfordshire England

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by judomole »

A question for those in the know :?:

Do we know if there are any plans to do any more Action archive releases especially
either a) Death Game 1999 Archive or b) Hellman of Hammer Force archive
similar to the Hook Jaw archive

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Retro1972 wrote:Would like to see "The Hunters" from Battle get a collected edition, there was some pretty good story lines, I am doubting Rebellion have the license for the Action Force stuff. Sadly the comic lost its way when Mattel toys took over Action man in the late 80s.
No, Rebellion won't have the rights to reprint any of the toy line stuff like Action Force, Mask, etc. They only bought from Egmont what Egmont had acquired from IPC years ago. I'm sure they could negotiate with the licence holders but I can't see that being a priority while they have loads of their own recently-acquired material to reprint.
would the mask stuff not be allowed to be reprinted as it merged with Eagle.?
and a question for you Lew does rebellion own characters you created for oink like tom thug and pete's pimple or would you be able to do something with them like combat Colin reprints now.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
Retro1972 wrote:Would like to see "The Hunters" from Battle get a collected edition, there was some pretty good story lines, I am doubting Rebellion have the license for the Action Force stuff. Sadly the comic lost its way when Mattel toys took over Action man in the late 80s.
No, Rebellion won't have the rights to reprint any of the toy line stuff like Action Force, Mask, etc. They only bought from Egmont what Egmont had acquired from IPC years ago. I'm sure they could negotiate with the licence holders but I can't see that being a priority while they have loads of their own recently-acquired material to reprint.
would the mask stuff not be allowed to be reprinted as it merged with Eagle.?
No, because Mask was a licensed property. By the way, Rebellion don't own Eagle
big bad bri wrote:and a question for you Lew does rebellion own characters you created for oink like tom thug and pete's pimple or would you be able to do something with them like combat Colin reprints now.
As the late Gil Page once wrote in a letter to me when I enquired 20 years ago. "It's a grey area" as there's nothing in writing. I'd be happy to talk to Rebellion about it though.

David Leach's Psycho Gran started out in Oink! and David's gone on to publish the character elsewhere so anything's possible I think.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by big bad bri »

i know dan dare corp own certain 80s eagle stuff but wasnt sure if that inc merger stuff as rebellion own scream,tiger etc and not mask,so its slightly confusing.
i love to see a complete tom thug hardback like the upcoming faceache with new cover etc.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:i know dan dare corp own certain 80s eagle stuff but wasnt sure if that inc merger stuff as rebellion own scream,tiger etc and not mask,so its slightly confusing.
i love to see a complete tom thug hardback like the upcoming faceache with new cover etc.
Rebellion don't own Tiger. It's always worth reading and bookmarking this blog post by John Freeman where he explains the details:
http://downthetubes.net/?p=33494

Nothing based on a licensed property (toy, game, TV show etc) would be part of the acquisition. As Egmont only had those rights temporarily, they wouldn't be theirs to sell on.

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: Rebellion reveal their plans for classic Fleetway charac

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hiya Lew

I have landed a job doing a vintage elaborate advertising scene in the style of old IPC comics for Christmas, I have already started it

If you are interested I can give you an exclusive for your site nearer the time

Post Reply