The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

peace355

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by peace355 »

I popped into my local WHS Smiths today but they didn't have a copy so will have to try elsewhere. I'm interested in reading it, though not in an eager rush to get my copy.

I would love to see them produce more new material, but I would I'd prefer to see a monthly Scream & Misty given the choice.

SID

Post by SID »

I understand why people may prefer The Vigilant as a modern day version of Lion and Valiant. I would like nothing better.

However, Panini(Marvel) and Titan(DC) comics are the ones that are selling successfully today. So I can see why Rebellion has gone for a similar style.

All I say is give Rebellion a chance. It's great to see all these old characters back in print and these things takes time to come into their own.

PS Would love to have Scream! & Misty as a monthly too.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote: PS Would love to have Scream! & Misty as a monthly too.
no we want it weekly or at least fortnightly :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I bought a copy yesterday and still mulling over my reaction to it.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:
SID wrote: PS Would love to have Scream! & Misty as a monthly too.
no we want it weekly or at least fortnightly :lol:
AGREED! :lol: :lol:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

peace355

Post by peace355 »

So I got a copy from Forbidden Planet the other day. I think it will need a re-read but I liked it well enough that I'd be interested in an ongoing.

Other than Leopard from Lime Street, I'm not very familiar with the characters, which may be advantage in some ways, as I can take them as fresh characters and not be disappointed that they've changed. I'm also reader of American comics so was fine with that kind of style and format. I did reread Death-Man: The Gathering from the Scream Misty special which also helped I think.

There's a lot of interesting stuff here, and characters that I liked, Thunderbolt the Avenger and Steel Commando were standouts for me. The biggest problem, is they've tried to cram so much in! There's the 9 team members, a whole bunch of villains, references to other things, like 13th Floor, McGinty's goat and probably other stuff that I didn't catch. It might be fun to see these references but it makes everything quite busy. The action was good as was the art, but I think a little more slow time would have helped. Maybe they should have started with a smaller set of characters and then added more on in later issues. As it was I enjoyed the 3 added on stories more, as it gave us a chance to get to know the characters and felt more focused. I hope if it does become a regular thing they continue with the short backup stories.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

peace355 wrote:but I think a little more slow time would have helped. Maybe they should have started with a smaller set of characters and then added more on in later issues. As it was I enjoyed the 3 added on stories more, as it gave us a chance to get to know the characters and felt more focused. I hope if it does become a regular thing they continue with the short backup stories.
I couldn't agree more. I felt bombarded with information that didn't seem to fit. I loved the characters originally but was very unsure of them after reading this. Another read is definitely called for!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I'll have to re read it too as couldn't read the red on black writing at all and thought it was a bit mish mash or jumbled mess so i'm gonna re read the scream /misty story again then this but i did love the fact Max was in it and Blake Edmunds felt like 80's Eagle for a bit.

karl

Post by karl »

This could have been so much better. Why ape american comics when the characters came from uk comics.
Annoying that the writers felt they had to ape a different format.

starscape

Post by starscape »

karl wrote:This could have been so much better. Why ape american comics when the characters came from uk comics.
Annoying that the writers felt they had to ape a different format.
Surely that answer is obvious? It's not a charity or a non-profit company.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

SID

Post by SID »

I agree. Now that they have established the Vigilant. It would be nice if the next story concentrates on a couple of core characters and possibly flesh out their backgrounds more.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

big bad bri wrote:I'll have to re read it too as couldn't read the red on black writing at all and thought it was a bit mish mash or jumbled mess so i'm gonna re read the scream /misty story again then this but i did love the fact Max was in it and Blake Edmunds felt like 80's Eagle for a bit.
Because that is what sells...

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

The comic made more sense on second read as the disembodied caption boxes could be attributed to the right character. Surely the editor should have picked up on this. Still, it was good overall and I’m looking out for more.

karl

Post by karl »

Sid is right. I was probably expecting a modern day version of lion or valiant.
I read the vigilant for a second time and it made more sense. I hope more issues are produced.

Louis Crandell

Post by Louis Crandell »

Though I'm sure they were lost on most potential readers, I did personally enjoy the cameos from various IPC characters. However, the identity of one of those cameos escapes me. Does anyone know who the kilted woman carrying the hammer is, summoned by Mesmer alongside the Snake (Professor Krait) and Ezra Creech (White Eyes)? You can see her in the last panel here:https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HZsfAaWGMLo/ ... -23-24.jpg