What are you reading during the lockdown

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain underpants

What are you reading during the lockdown

Post by Captain underpants »

During these strange times with many in lockdown what are you reading to pass the time and take your mind off this nasty flu which is stopping me seeing my children , granddaughter, and only talking to my mum through a window when dropping off shopping

I’m slowly reading my pocket library comics, starblazer, thriller and detective library, and all the non war titles, some have good stories and some absolutely non pc , that is when the wife has not found jobs for me .

Remember stay safe and keep your distance :soapbox:

stevezodiac

Re: What are you reading during the lockdown

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm still going through the 300 real western magazines I bought a few months back. Also I've been going onto Grand Comics Database and indexing some issues. First issues of Goofy, Donald and Mickey, Cracker and Little Star so far. Went through some Dandys yesterday and found a strip called Babes n Bullies which was a very early Trevor Metcalfe strip. It only ran for about half a dozen issues. Maybe his first published strip.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Oh wow have always loved Trevor Metcalfe's work so would love to see those- any chance you could share an image? What Dandy issues are they in?
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

starscape

Post by starscape »

Buddy - a stupidly under-rated adventure comic - and Marvel Team-Up (Seventies/Eighties version).
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think they were in issues 1452 to 1460. Trevor is still drawing comics according to his website. Now that tinypic has closed I don't know how to add images.

Goof

Post by Goof »

You could try imgur, which I've been using since tinypic shut up shop. It's free and doesn't need registration. It's a bit messier to handle than tinypic but seems to work OK.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The Babes 'n' the Bullies were indeed in the Dandy issues as quoted by Steve 1452-1460 in Sept/Nov 1969 but Trevor had drawn those strips over five years earlier in 1963. The strip had first appeared in print in the Dandy Book for 1964..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes the art style was nothing like that from Trevor that we easily recognised in the seventies. Actually I asked my mate Steve to consult his Dandy Monster Index by Kashgar for the issue numbers as mine is in storage.