Marvelman and Young Marvelman [Key Notes]

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Bart Allen

Marvelman and Young Marvelman [Key Notes]

Post by Bart Allen »

Hey there ^_^

I'm curious whether someone has - or at least is aware - of some key issues of these comics, as well as possible writers and artists as well ~

I've managed to to get some details by Derek Wilson within the Marvel published volumes of the Marvelman and Young Marvelman Classic volumes, but there is still a lot missing.

The Comic Book Price Guide for Great Britain (https://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk) has various notes, but I can't access them unfortunately.

But I'm curious does anyone else have any more information?

All comments are appreciated :3

stevezodiac

Re: Marvelman and Young Marvelman [Key Notes]

Post by stevezodiac »

Grand Comics Database has quite a few covers but not many indexed issues. I presume you're taking about the 1950s Miller issues?

Bart Allen

Post by Bart Allen »

stevezodiac wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 13:20
Grand Comics Database has quite a few covers but not many indexed issues. I presume you're taking about the 1950s Miller issues?
Yeah the 50's issues - I've managed to get a few but Grand Comics Database is still lacking for the most part, and much of the information was provided from the Derek Wilson submissions I referred to earlier :3

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I remember my dad bringing the occasional copy home in the sixties. He worked in the docks so maybe they were used as ballast.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

In the very early sixties The only time I ever saw marvelman comics was at a second hand book and comic stall in the Broadway market in Hackney and that was very rare For any to show up. I must admit it never was a comic I picked up it seemed a poor version of the colour superman comics . Over the years I have picked up a few but sold them on as I never could get into them. This made me think of all the classic comics my parents got rid of when we moved to Essex in the mid sixties. :|

babington

Post by babington »

Good question. Who are Marvelman's principal enemies and in which issues do they first appear? Did Marvelman have any major costume changes? Did he have sidekicks and when do they first appear? Were there any anniversary issues? Did Marvelman get all his powers at once or did they first appear in particular issues? Did he have any interesting vehicles (was there a Marvelmanmobile?) and when did they first appear?

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I don’t know all the answers but let’s not forget that Marvelman first appeared in Marvelman No.25.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Derek Wilson is the go to guy for Marvelman
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/