Can anyone please identify this eighties strip?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

edmonton911

Can anyone please identify this eighties strip?

Post by edmonton911 »

I was a big fan of comics like Wow, Whoopee etc during the eighties. There was one strip I enjoyed in particular. It featured a small and shabby shop next door to a huge, shining skyscraper. The owners of each were in competition, and although the larger business had far more clout, the wily smaller business always won. I can't remember but the business owners may have had kids, who were part of the storylines.

Can anyone please identify the strip and the comic (and the approximate run dates)? Many thanks

Into The Abyss

Re: Can anyone please identify this eighties strip?

Post by Into The Abyss »

Sounds a bit like the strip. Boy Boss?
Well, hello there! :wave:

blaing

Post by blaing »

Could you be thinking of Store Wars from Whizzer and Chips?

edmonton911

Post by edmonton911 »

Huge thanks, both. It was Store Wars, yes! But you've also now reminded me of Boy Boss. Much appreciated!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Store Wars started on 5 September 1981, but I can't say what date. Wikipedia is for once definitive with what information it holds, mainly because I wrote most of it, but a little further information: Niblet's blog fills in everything else.

Doug Jensen drew it for two or three years, before Jim Watson took over. By 1986 it had gone to reprint before Jimmy Hansen took over in the late 80s or possibly as late as 1990.

It was never explained how Mr Superstore was able to stay in business, considering that his footfall was appaling and he had staff to pay. Mr Bloggs initally had an assistant, his father and Ted the errand boy to pay, but later it was reduced to Bloggs and Ted.