Which British comic series have been adapted for TV or film and which British TV series have been adapted into comics?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Nick_the_Greek

Which British comic series have been adapted for TV or film and which British TV series have been adapted into comics?

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Dr Who is one of them !
Thus, comic artist's name is mentioned :D
Dr-Who.jpg
Dr WHO comics.jpg

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Which British comic series have been adapted for TV or film and which British TV series have been adapted into comic

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

The first British comics that I can think of that have been adapted for tv are: Captain Pugwash, Dennis the Menace and Bananaman.

I think there's a few more if you include Newspaper strips.

For the other way round from TV to comics there is probably a few more examples. Wasnt that kind of the whole thing for TV Century 21 and TV Comic?

Nick_the_Greek

Re: Which British comic series have been adapted for TV or film and which British TV series have been adapted into comic

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Great, thanks ! Newspaper strips included.
Dennisketcham.jpg
Captain_Pugwash_(1975)_title_sequence.jpg
Last edited by Nick_the_Greek on 23 Feb 2023, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Nick_the_Greek

Star Trek (UK comics)

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Star Trek comics (by John Stokes).jpg
Artwork by John Stokes.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Big fan of the eighties cartoon series Bananaman voiced by Goodies actors Graeme Garden , Tim Brooke-Taylor & Bill Oddie that featured in the Nutty comic first.
Well, hello there! :wave:

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Into The Abyss wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 12:16
Big fan of the eighties cartoon series Bananaman voiced by Goodies actors Graeme Garden , Tim Brooke-Taylor & Bill Oddie that featured in the Nutty comic first.
Great !!!
BananaMan_Introduction_Shot.jpg

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Nick_the_Greek wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 14:12
Into The Abyss wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 12:16
Great !!!

BananaMan_Introduction_Shot.jpg
A man with good taste. 👋😎

Stevendoig

Post by Stevendoig »

The list of series made into comics is surely vast! - not just TV comic and tv21 etc but ' Look in' magazine as well!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Stevendoig wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:57
The list of series made into comics is surely vast! - not just TV comic and tv21 etc but ' Look in' magazine as well!
Stevendoig you're right. The Look-in magazine in particular had TV series galore.It had strips from classics On The Buses, Timeslip, Please Sir, Catweazle, Doctor in The House, Worzel Gummidge ect... 😎

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Nick_the_Greek wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 06:00
Great, thanks ! Newspaper strips included.

Dennisketcham.jpgCaptain_Pugwash_(1975)_title_sequence.jpg
that's the American Dennis the Menace not the British Dennis the Menace
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Richard S. wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 07:57
that's the American Dennis the Menace not the British Dennis the Menace
Correct, my fault, I apologize...

This may be the British character (with his dog), right ?
Dennis_the_Menace_and_Gnasher_the_dog.jpg

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I believe Giles, the famed daily express cartoonist, whose books still get published anually decades after his death, worked on the Come on Steve cartoons.

That gets me thinking which famous British cartoonists have also done work for animated films and television series.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Apologies if I am off subject a little- but there was once an attempt to get the TV series "The Prisoner" as a comic series in the USA. It was Marvel's top artist, Jack Kirby who attempted this and test drawings were done (I have seen some) Sadly, because they could not get the characterisation of McGoohan's number 6 anywhere close- the project failed.
A Face unclouded by thought.