New Judge Dredd comic

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1635
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by SID »

I got Judge Dredd 2 yesterday.

All good and I am getting to like the IDW comic. The stories are good and they are keeping faith with the original.
Attachments
JudgeDredd_02-CvrB.jpg
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

felneymike
Fence Sitter
Posts: 1901
Joined: 30 Sep 2007, 15:03
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by felneymike »

Apparently there was also a Judge Dredd manga in Japan, though again it was released to cash in on the 90's film. I can remember seeing one picture in which the motorbikes had extremely wide wheels (as if the versions in 2000AD aren't ridiculous enough).
There was also a 2000AD "sample issue" given out in the USA to promote it. I ran across one of those in a Japanese shop, among a load of old Spider Man comics!

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 979
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by starscape »

Beautiful cover.

Unfortunately, although he's been in some great stories, I've always found Dredd, as a character, to be as dull as dishwater. Strontium Dog is a more interesting personality and would make a really good film. Mad Max meets the X-Men.

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Dredd is basically a fascist, so the stories have to rely more on black humour----it's a really bleak future, going by this, but I suppose mankind will always find some outlet for fun, even in times as grim as depicted in the Dredd stories.

He's quite a frightening character: oppressive, without mercy [in most cases] and that sinister helmet, with the subliminal SS 'visor'.

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1635
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by SID »

IDW Judge Dredd 3 and the first discrepancy to the UK version.

In 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine, it is Chief Judge Hershey that is in charge of Mega-City One. Where in this comic, it is Chief Justice Morgan (same title as used in the Stallone film and the DC comics). I can only assume that the American audience relate more to the DC comic version of Dredd than Rebellion's.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:IDW Judge Dredd 3 and the first discrepancy to the UK version.

In 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine, it is Chief Judge Hershey that is in charge of Mega-City One. Where in this comic, it is Chief Justice Morgan (same title as used in the Stallone film and the DC comics). I can only assume that the American audience relate more to the DC comic version of Dredd than Rebellion's.
It's set in the early days of the strip isn't it? Hershey hadn't even been introduced then so there would be a different Chief Judge.

I only bought the first issue. I really wanted to like it but Paul Gulacy couldn't get the uniform accurate, and the scripts lacked that certain something that made Dredd work so I haven't bought it since.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by philcom55 »

Lew Stringer wrote:I only bought the first issue. I really wanted to like it but Paul Gulacy couldn't get the uniform accurate, and the scripts lacked that certain something that made Dredd work so I haven't bought it since.
That pretty much echoes my own reaction. In fact I tend to feel the same way about most of the British stories that aren't written by John Wagner, Pat Mills or (sometimes) Alan Grant.

- Phil R.

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1635
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:It's set in the early days of the strip isn't it? Hershey hadn't even been introduced then so there would be a different Chief Judge. I only bought the first issue. I really wanted to like it but Paul Gulacy couldn't get the uniform accurate, and the scripts lacked that certain something that made Dredd work so I haven't bought it since.
Maybe I have missed something, Lew, as I haven't read anything to say that this is Dredd's earlier adventures. I know that one of the DC comics in the 90s was set in the past but thought that IDW's set around the same time as the Rebellion Dredd.
philcom55 wrote:That pretty much echoes my own reaction. In fact I tend to feel the same way about most of the British stories that aren't written by John Wagner, Pat Mills or (sometimes) Alan Grant.

- Phil R.
Don't get me wrong, gentlemen. Head to head, the Rebellion Dredd beats the IDW Dredd hands down for the reasons you have stated though I still like it. Plus, like the Stallone Dredd movie, I simply treat the IDW Dredd as bonus material and the fact there are differences just makes it that more interesting.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote: Maybe I have missed something, Lew, as I haven't read anything to say that this is Dredd's earlier adventures. I know that one of the DC comics in the 90s was set in the past but thought that IDW's set around the same time as the Rebellion Dredd.
The current Dredd stories in 2000AD are set in 2135 (as stated in every issue's synopsis box) and IDW's Judge Dredd No.1 is set in 2100, as shown on page one of the story:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?pag ... w&id=14275

As you know, 2000AD has been aging Dredd in 'real time' since it began in 1977, so basically IDW's comic is set in the same year as 2000AD's second year of Dredd tales 35 years ago.

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Imagine if Oor Wullie and the Broons had aged in real time since 1936, and how the strips would look today!!

Judge Hershey first appeared around 1980, [the early 2100s in the Dreddiverse] and she looked at her peak in her 2os then: recent stories in which she appears accurately reflect her middle-aged status in the 2130s.

Mind you, who knows what life expectancy is in the 22nd Century-----they have better medicines, but they also have had recent Nuclear War in the Dredd stories-------I note they still haven't cracked immortality, but sometimes delve into time-travel.

AndyB
Throgmorton
Posts: 2294
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 20:00
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by AndyB »

... even the bairn would be dead.

2100 was Chief Judge Goodman.

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Ah, but we could have seen the bairn grow up, and have bambinos of her own, Andy! It could have evolved into a completely different strip----

Good to see a lot of you know your DREDD History......

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1635
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:The current Dredd stories in 2000AD are set in 2135 (as stated in every issue's synopsis box) and IDW's Judge Dredd No.1 is set in 2100, as shown on page one of the story:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?pag ... w&id=14275

As you know, 2000AD has been aging Dredd in 'real time' since it began in 1977, so basically IDW's comic is set in the same year as 2000AD's second year of Dredd tales 35 years ago.
Thanks, Lew. I missed that when I read the comic which has now has been mislaid. I'll find it one day. :)

But even so, I would still like to think it is a parallel Dredd since there has never been a Chief Judge (Justice) Morgan. Around that time, it was Goodman, Cal and Griffin.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Imagine if Oor Wullie and the Broons had aged in real time since 1936, and how the strips would look today!!
That could have been a novel idea if the strip evolved with new characters (e.g. Maggie gets married, having a baby who grows up in the strip). They did something like that with the Flintstones.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote: But even so, I would still like to think it is a parallel Dredd since there has never been a Chief Judge (Justice) Morgan. Around that time, it was Goodman, Cal and Griffin.
Haven't time to check, but was the Chief Judge even given a name in the very early episodes in 2000AD? Perhaps Morgan has been shunted in for a reason, to be later killed off without changing 2000AD continuity? Or perhaps it was just a goof up.

I don't think IDW's version is an alternate timeline. The idea is to introduce US readers to the character, not confuse the situation with parallel versions. They're just untold tales. IDW are launching another Dredd title soon, featuring even earlier untold Dredd stories. This one will be written by Matt Smith (2000AD's current Tharg) so I think we can be sure it's in the same universe as the UK strips. Goodman will also feature. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=43262

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SID wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:The current Dredd stories in 2000AD are set in 2135 (as stated in every issue's synopsis box) and IDW's Judge Dredd No.1 is set in 2100, as shown on page one of the story:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?pag ... w&id=14275

As you know, 2000AD has been aging Dredd in 'real time' since it began in 1977, so basically IDW's comic is set in the same year as 2000AD's second year of Dredd tales 35 years ago.
Thanks, Lew. I missed that when I read the comic which has now has been mislaid. I'll find it one day. :)

But even so, I would still like to think it is a parallel Dredd since there has never been a Chief Judge (Justice) Morgan. Around that time, it was Goodman, Cal and Griffin.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Imagine if Oor Wullie and the Broons had aged in real time since 1936, and how the strips would look today!!
That could have been a novel idea if the strip evolved with new characters (e.g. Maggie gets married, having a baby who grows up in the strip). They did something like that with the Flintstones.
There was [and maybe still is] a daily newspaper strip from the USA by a woman cartoonist called For Better or Worse that unfolded over several years in real-time, that was very well regarded---it tackled deaths in the family, and other facets seldom seen in mainstream comics.


I think Judge Goodman was the first Chief Judge in the 1977 comics----if I remember from the Dredd origins story, that covers the creation of the Judge system, his rule of office started after the World War that resulted in the creation of the Mega-Cities and lasted until 2100 [1978 in the comic]---he was assasinated, Roman Emperor style, by the demented Cals' SJS agents.

I don't know if you have read ORIGINS, which was serialized in 2000 AD, Lew, but it's great for filling in a lot of the backstory of the Judge System.

Post Reply