2000AD or Starlord?

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: 2000AD or Starlord?

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
starscape wrote:It did. Warrior stopped publishing MM and printed the letter as the reason. Letters pages were full of it.
Well, Marvelman still appeared in about the first 20 issues of Warrior. I think there was more to its sudden departure than that. It was also due to arguments over payment if I recall conversations at the time correctly. Also, I don't think Dez was keen on running a graphic birth scene, which caused more friction between him and Alan.
Whether that last is true or not, Marvel's threats really were why Warrior stopped running MM, I believe. The letter arrived, the strip stopped, Dez ran the letter, everyone was furious. Marvel jumped in as soon as the MM Special saw print.
Fair enough Tony. It's worth pointing out though that Alan also stopped producing The Bojeffries Saga around that time too, and that had nothing to do with Marvel. (Although admittedly V for Vendetta continued right up to the final issue.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

tony ingram wrote:
SID wrote:Surprised that Marvel didn't whinge about IPC using their name then.
Marvel's Star Lord was a fairly obscure character back then. I doubt anybody would even have noticed.
He still was up until a few months ago, I reckon. The majority probably only know him from the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

I think Starlord from Marvel Preview was being reprinted in Star Wars weekly around the same time as Starlord came out?

Raven

Post by Raven »

japandroid wrote:I think Starlord from Marvel Preview was being reprinted in Star Wars weekly around the same time as Starlord came out?
Yes, with the naughty bits inked over.

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

Raven wrote:
japandroid wrote:I think Starlord from Marvel Preview was being reprinted in Star Wars weekly around the same time as Starlord came out?
Yes, with the naughty bits inked over.
Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that. I shouldn't have sold those definitely the best way to read Warlock, better quality tham the essential version, larger too.

Raven

Post by Raven »

japandroid wrote: Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that.
Yes, in 'Sandsong' in the original Marvel Preview No. 14, when Ship takes on a female form, she's rather gratuitously bare breasted for much of the time. She wears a ridiculously skimpy covering for a while, then it gets pulled off by the razor-sharp mandibles of alien bug-thingies. Marvel's "adult" black and white magazines for you, there!

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

Raven wrote:
japandroid wrote: Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that.
Yes, in 'Sandsong' in the original Marvel Preview No. 14, when Ship takes on a female form, she's rather gratuitously bare breasted for much of the time. She wears a ridiculously skimpy covering for a while, then it gets pulled off by the razor-sharp mandibles of alien bug-thingies. Marvel's "adult" black and white magazines for you, there!
Hmm, that rings a bell, I seem to recall the Marvel Preview Paradox issue having a rather gratuitous amount tits and ass per panel. Of course that was eclipsed by Warren's notorious 1984.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

2000 ad for ever: it keeps going like no other. So many times it looks like going under, yet it pursues. Unlike Beano, it has a very sound fan base that won't fluctuate so much. I have a bet with someone close: the last comic standing as regards availability with newsstand comics, commercially between 2000 ad and Beano, which keeps dropping, 2000 ad will triumph. Why? Judge Dredd will overcome Dennis the Menace... give me ten years from now while we debate with Desperate Dan

Raven

Post by Raven »

japandroid wrote:Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that. I shouldn't have sold those definitely the best way to read Warlock, better quality tham the essential version, larger too.

Star Wars Weekly seemed to get away with as low as a page count as it could, and those back-up stories had such short instalments. I remember Warlock seemed quite kooky at the time. You've got me wondering - is it worth checking out again today? That trippy, outer space, cosmic comic stuff from the post-hippy/acid era may have seemed potentially quite deep, philosophical and "adult" when you're a little kid - but does it seem to have any substance when read today as an adult, or is it just nutty, pulpy fun - or not especially readable?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Raven wrote:
japandroid wrote:Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that. I shouldn't have sold those definitely the best way to read Warlock, better quality tham the essential version, larger too.

Star Wars Weekly seemed to get away with as low as a page count as it could, and those back-up stories had such short instalments.
They were the same length as the installments in all Marvel UK's other titles at the time.
I remember Warlock seemed quite kooky at the time. You've got me wondering - is it worth checking out again today? That trippy, outer space, cosmic comic stuff from the post-hippy/acid era may have seemed potentially quite deep, philosophical and "adult" when you're a little kid - but does it seem to have any substance when read today as an adult, or is it just nutty, pulpy fun - or not especially readable?
I read it again quite recently in collected form (The Essential Warlock) and it still stands up well today. In fact, a lot of early 70s Marvel seems to me to be better written and to have more depth than 90% of the comics produced in the last two decades, at least. It was certainly Jim Starlin at his peak (sadly, he's been rehashing the same stories ever since, with diminishing returns).

Raven

Post by Raven »

tony ingram wrote:They were the same length as the installments in all Marvel UK's other titles at the time.
Star Wars Weekly was only 28 pages, 8 pages less than the other Marvel UK weeklies of 1978, and I think I remember there being 4 (or 5 page) instalments, whereas I was more used to them being closer to 8 or 9. Didn't they even occasionally split some of the short, twist in the tale back-ups into a couple of parts?

tony ingram wrote:I read it again quite recently in collected form (The Essential Warlock) and it still stands up well today. In fact, a lot of early 70s Marvel seems to me to be better written and to have more depth than 90% of the comics produced in the last two decades, at least.
Although Marvel was taken over by a Big Corporation in 1973, the kooky, writer-led, more self-indulgent, out there stuff still managed to keep on dripping through for a few years. It's long been a very different environment, with Marketing having a big say in Editorial, and specific commercial mandates, etc.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I read the entire thing about a year or so ago (through both series). Thought it was very interesting and is not 'of it's time' especially. Recommended.

I also then read Mar-Vell due to the Starlin/Thanos link and was less than impressed except for the odd episode.
http://starscapesays.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -vell.html
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:I read the entire thing about a year or so ago (through both series). Thought it was very interesting and is not 'of it's time' especially. Recommended.

I also then read Mar-Vell due to the Starlin/Thanos link and was less than impressed except for the odd episode.
http://starscapesays.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -vell.html
I think Mar-Vell was a character they had trouble finding a direction for, it seemed to be one false start after another. There are a few memorable storylines and I liked the character of Marv himself, but really, the only significant thing about him was his death.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

USA 'Star Lord*' from the new Guardians of the Galaxy film, also appeared in another UK Marvel weekly 'Future Tense' 1980-1982. A surprisingly long-lived reprint title for Marvel's Sci-fi strips, along with Star Trek, Micronauts and others.

*Not to be confused with the UK IPC weekly :)

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

When I started collecting US comics seriously first on my list was Starlin's Warlock. I've read it many times, it's superb and as enjoyable now as it was then. I seem to remember Pip getting best supporting character awards. The bit when they go that bar to meet Gamorrah has shades of Star Wars about it. Cap Marvel although nice to look at has little depth. I loved the first Guardians Of The Galaxy from MSH 18 that ran in Star Wars, classic stuff. I haven't even been slightly tempted to part with my MSH 18 I did sell my M Prem 7 but I really miss having that cover.