Death of a major character in 2000 AD

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

geoff42

Death of a major character in 2000 AD

Post by geoff42 »

John Wagner stated that there would be a notable death in the world of Dredd this Summer. Summer has just passed and i'm thinking of the latest Dredd story that has been ongoing for the last 7 weeks and will end before the 2000th prog of 2000 ad. I think we will finally see Dredd putting paid to his long time nemesis - P J Maybe. At the moment, the dastardly villain has just kidnapped Dredd's niece, Vienna, (now this makes things really personal). I can't see Dredd letting this go. Standard execution coming up no matter how Maybe tries to worm his way out of this. Initially, readers were expecting Hershey to be offed... but as for a villain... who would have seen that coming? I might be wrong but, like I said, Summer has passed and there has still been no notable death. Perhaps Wagner expected the latest Maybe story to wrap up by end of August. Time will surely tell.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Death of a major character in 2000 AD

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

PJ Maybe deserves everything that is coming to him [if it is indeed him]--he is a nasty piece of work by any standards and Dredd wanted him executed long ago.

With just 3 weeks until Prog 2000 Maybe could indeed be the character to be terminated.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

I agree, Maybe deserves to be put down and yet, I have a perverse hope that he isn't done away with. Strange isn't it? I'm actually rooting for him. Damn it, he's a deranged killer and I want him to carry on, tormenting Dredd. Perhaps, Vienna will be killed off. I think I need therapy.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

So I was proven right in the end; I have to say, for a long standing villain that chewed Dredd's maw for nearly thirty years, it was a bit underwhelming. I've seen one-off Dredd villains offed in better style. Did Wagner just get bored of one is greatest villains? Very disappointed.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Maybe he'll come back as a Dark Judge?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have yet to see the end of this recent story, but I have read most of the P J Maybe tales---the one I liked the best was the one in the luxury bunker during Necropolis-----and the methods he uses to avoid detection and escape are so imaginitive and endless in inginuity it would not surprize me if he returned in one shape or another .