Scoop comic writer and artist identification

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

applesauce

Scoop comic writer and artist identification

Post by applesauce »

Hi Guys

I'm hoping to identify the writer and artist behind the comic strip "Jon Stark: Matchwinner for Hire" from Scoop comic, first appearance 1978. The strip also appeared in Football Picture Story Monthly during the 80s and 90s, although many of the stories were recycled from Scoop. A scan of the first page is attached. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Jon Stark Scoop Comic
Jon Stark Scoop Comic

dishes

Re: Scoop comic writer and artist identification

Post by dishes »

I think the artist there is Tony Harding.

Stark also appeared in Victor in the late 1980s, though I don't know if they were originals or reprints.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

applesauce

Post by applesauce »

Thanks, I believe Scoop was merged into Victor. Think Tony Harding did a lot of stuff for Action? Can anyone add any more info? I'd love to find out where the idea for the character came from. Stark was in many ways the original "modern footballer"!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Stark, IIRC came from a spate of free transfers in the 1970's that pre-dated the Bosman ruling by at least 15 years. It was a delicious case of "What if..." taken by the writers and pushed for all it was worth. And it is interesting to see that history seems to congratulate them on their far-sightedness. But in reality, while we did see many players change clubs, none matched Stark for the continuous change of clubs. And while the money seemed huge at the time (£1000 per goal £2000 per win), it is pennies when compared to the telephone number salaries commanded by today's top flight footballers.

And Scoop did merge with Victor in the 1980's. The exact date eludes me for the moment.

As to the artist, I will bow to dishes for this example, but I am sure that Barrie Tomlinson drew at least one season.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

applesauce

Post by applesauce »

Thanks for the info! Stark asked for £1000 per match plus £250 per goal (no payment for lost matches!) so even taking into inflation, and the fact that Stark regularly scored hat-tricks in matches, he was probably earning less than £5,000 per week in today's money, about ten times less than most top footballers! Still a great idea for a strip though, and one that's stuck in my head since reading it as a kid. If anyone else can add any more info I'd love to hear it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

colcool007 wrote:And Scoop did merge with Victor in the 1980's. The exact date eludes me for the moment.
3rd October 1981 was the date of the last Scoop, so the merger date would be 10th October 1981.

http://www.britishcomics.com/Scoop/index.htm

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

applesauce wrote:Stark asked for £1000 per match plus £250 per goal (no payment for lost matches!) so even taking into inflation, and the fact that Stark regularly scored hat-tricks in matches, he was probably earning less than £5,000 per week in today's money, about ten times less than most top footballers!
But that was then. With his skills in today's game, he would easily command half a million a week, and club chairmen would be falling over themselves to fill his pockets, just as they were then.