Jean Sidobre

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Jean Sidobre

Post by philcom55 »

Sorry! I just meant that Shaqui will be interested to hear that Jean Sidobre drew the episode of 'Penny on her own' in the 1972 Princess Tina Annual.

Your English is much better than my French! :)

The Schoolgirls' Picture Library covers are very nice, though I must admit that I find Sidobre's painted work especially hard to identify. For example, I think he drew a number of educational features about music for the journal Tell Me Why during the late 1960s, but as the editor regularly removed most signatures from the artwork it is difficult to be sure. The only 'Sidobre' signature I can find is on this page from no.16 (14th December 1968) which features the second instalment of his four-part adaptation of 'The Barber of Seville'.

- Phil Rushton

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Thanks thanks thanks Phil for all great and precious informations.
This page is really fantastic!! Great painting.
The title of the magazine where there is The Barber of Seville is... "Tell Me Why" ?
I'll get this magazine now.
If you think you recognize J.Sidobre on covers or paintings covers..., you can place them here on the Topic and I'll tell you right away if it's him. :wink:
I did not think I would know if nice people here. :oops: thanks.
Attachments
Ivan the Terrible (Original)
Ivan the Terrible (Original)

matrix

Post by matrix »

I edited that date Phil, the eight on the first board looked like a seven to me, now where's the nearest Specsavers!!

He did do some nice work, nice 'Ivan the terrrible', and on 'The Barber of Seville' love the background detail, the picture on the wall, the Piano, and panels, again in another the tiles on the wall. nice!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:'June' was the name of the comic Jluc, not the month! :)

I also wondered if that 'Penny' strip was Jean's work. As this was a 'sort of' continuation of the Gerry Anderson character 'Lady Penelope' your identification may be especially interesting to Shaqui.

- Phil Rushton
Indeed. 8)

Does Jluc know of 'Penny On Her Own' continued in the later 'Princess Tina' annuals he mentions owning? The last 'Penelope' annual was 1972, and my web associate Kim Stevens has the 'Princess Tina' annuals up to the 1971 edition, but that example is new to us both... :oops:

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Shaqui wrote:Does Jluc know of 'Penny On Her Own' continued in the later 'Princess Tina' annuals he mentions owning? The last 'Penelope' annual was 1972, and my web associate Kim Stevens has the 'Princess Tina' annuals up to the 1971 edition, but that example is new to us both... :oops:
No I didn't know that Shaqui.
Thanks for Penelope's information but Did Sidobre draw in Penelope?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think I have all the issues of Tell Me Why but that 'Ivan the Terrible' page doesn't seem to have appeared there. Perhaps it was drawn for an annual or one of the other educational magazines like World of Wonder or Look & Learn.

Apart from the episode of 'The Barber of Seville' shown above I'm afraid the only Sidobre pages in Tell Me Why I can be confident about are the other three episodes shown below. These appeared in Tell Me Why no's 15 (7 Dec 1968), 17 (21 Dec 1968) and 18 (28 Dec 1968).

In addition, its similarity to 'My Chum Yum-Yum' makes me think the following biography of Gladys Aylward must be his work as well (Typecasting?). This appeared in Tell Me Why no.3 (14 Sep 1968)

Finally (and much more tentatively), here is a page from 1961 that I'd be interested in Jluc's opinion of. I wonder if this too could be an early example of Sidobre's work for the British market?

(...Hmmmm, maybe not! :? )

- Phil Rushton

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Hello Phil. :)
You have fantastic treasures in your home. :D
The first pages are fantastic and they are paintings, which adds beauty.
The last page is not Jean Sidobre 100% sure :wink:
I think the oldest work for the British market is "Jenny Wreen", which dates from 1962. There is nothing before.
I now find all these numbers.
I'm still waiting for information from all of you :)

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Hello all.
I bought the first copy (issue) Tina (french mag) drawing by Jean Sidobre and it may not be the same story in england. :shock:
Attachments
1er Yum Yum FR2.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Hi Jluc. I believe, although I could be wrong that all the artwork exported around the world in 'Tina'/'Princess Tina' was the original artwork produced in those comics, obviously they changed the speech bubbles and text captions etc, to their own language.

They did however have different issue numbers in some cases, for instance the scans below (although not Jean Sidobre) are from the same 'Tina' comic issue four in Britain and issue thirteen in Germany, with the artwork the same, also issue one in Britain was issue ten in Germany etc. The wording on some front covers was also different.

Can anyone add to this to confirm or correct if some of the information above is not correct, thankyou.
Attachments
My.Chum.english.jpg
My.Chum.German.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

I've been looking at this story from an early Princess comic for a while, wondering whether to post or not, so could an expert tell me is this Jean Sidobre's work?
Attachments
Taxi.Princess.jpg

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Hi Matrix.
Pretty pictures but it is not Jean Sidobre's work in title Taxi. :wink:

What I meant above is that the first story in England is this page.

In France it is different this is another page. Oo
Attachments
first Sidobres work for My Chum Yum Yum in France
first Sidobres work for My Chum Yum Yum in France
first Sidobres work for My Chum Yum Yum in England ???
first Sidobres work for My Chum Yum Yum in England ???
Last edited by jluc-parker on 30 Nov 2012, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Hi Matrix.
I have a question for you :)
You have foreign editions of Princess Tina?
Do you know exactly how many countries we find the newspaper Princess Tina (Tina)?

England, France, Allemagne....?

matrix

Post by matrix »

Hi Jluc, I will post a reply to your question above in COMIC TITLES AND GROUPS subforum GIRLS' COMICS under heading "Princess Tina" which also includes the first 'My Chum Yum Yum'.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

If it's any help Jluc, I've found the issue of June & School Friend which featured your 'Chico the Brave' artwork. Here's the cover:

...And here are the printed pages:

Strangely enough that seems to be my only copy of June from 1968 so I can't say for sure whether Jean drew any other episodes in the 'Pony Tales' series, or if 'Chico' was just a one-off. Going by the 'next week' advert printed at the bottom of the second page, however, it sounds as though the following issue must have featured a completely different pony in a brand new tale.

- Phil Rushton

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

Hello Phil.
It's amazing, you have everything I want.
You answered all my questions.
Thank you very much for the clear scans/photos !