Jack Monk

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paddybrown

Jack Monk

Post by paddybrown »

My efforts to create a Biographical Dictionary of British Comics at the UK Comics Wiki continue. I'm including only those who are known to have died, who were born before 1913 or who were active before 1930, and I'm working my way through the names I've gathered and writing articles on them, using the reference books I have access to, and, following the example of Steve Holland's Bear Alley blog, genealogical sites for births, marriages, deaths, censuses and so on.

I've come to Jack Monk, creator of the Daily Mirror's detective strip Buck Ryan. Clark's Dictionary of British Comic Artists says he was born in 1904, and the National Portrait Gallery says he died in 1962 - but Clark gives a couple of strips he's supposed to have drawn later than that: "Inspector Jellicoe" in The Hornet (1963), and "Million Pound Mutt" in Debbie (1973) - and Arthur van Kruining on this thread on alt.obituaries in 1999 says he was still alive in 1994. There are a lot of BMDs for Jack or John Monk, and without any information on where he lived it's impossible to choose between them.

Does anybody have accurate dates for him, or know where he lived, or what his wife (if he was married) or his children (if he had any) were called? Thanks for anything you can give me.
--
Patrick Brown
paddybrown.co.uk

paddybrown

Re: Jack Monk

Post by paddybrown »

If anybody's interested, this is what I've managed to put together on Jack Monk. Any corrections or additions appreciated.
--
Patrick Brown
paddybrown.co.uk