Ron Smith rediscovered

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

geoff42

Ron Smith rediscovered

Post by geoff42 »

I was always aware of Ron Wilson's art on Dredd but wasn't cognizant of his ancient work on both DC Thomson and IPC. I just recapped on an old issue of Judge Dredd Megazine that tells of his sudden blindness to the point he can no longer draw. Wow, I never knew he was so old and had so much history. Very interesting, as I'm now first discovering his work on "King Cobra" in "Hotspur". I gather he really pushed for this British Super-Hero strip and that, long after the weekly disappeared, he still returned to the strip in the annuals that followed after the weekly's demise. Apparently, his output was incredible... probably along the lines of Ezquerra. Of course, he was notable for his work on Dredd on the Daily Star. And yet, for some reason, 2000 ad is somewhat shy of his contribution it its history. Did he not depict the ubiquitous helmet that crowns Dredd's head, defying the likes of Bolland and Ezquerra's original concept? I raise a glass to Ron Smith.

geoff42

Re: Ron smith rediscovered

Post by geoff42 »

yer, I know I dropped a bol...k. Ron Smith, I thank you

geoff42

Re: Ron Wilson rediscovered

Post by geoff42 »

I just can't find a big hole to swallow me up... dammit. Anyway, I beg your pardon...

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

who the f@@k is Ron Wilson :headbash:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I remember Mari Wilson ----and her 'Wilsations', but they were a musical outfit who weren't involved in making comics, to the best if my knowledge.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Ron smith rediscovered

Post by colcool007 »

geoff42 wrote:yer, I know I dropped a bol...k. Ron Smith, I thank you
Fixed it for you.

Also did you know that Ron Smith was a pilot during World War II?

I have started picking up 50/60's DCT output and you can find some really good examples of Ron's work in there.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

geoff42

Re: Ron Smith rediscovered

Post by geoff42 »

Thank you, Robbie, for that link. I knew that I hadn't conjured up Ron Wilson from thin air. Obviously, I got confused. But I was dedicating Ron Smith from the outset... as for Ron Wilson, well he was ok. But he didn't give us king Cobra. Long live Ron Smith. No, Col, I didn't know about his World War 11 exploits. Christ, he must be knocking on as regards age! Sadder now that he can't draw anymore. I love to write and, right now, I couldn't imagine a time when I'm not able to write anymore. Enjoy life while it's there to be enjoyed, I say.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

He's in his 90's and almost blind I believe. He was at a signing in Forbidden Planet London last year, but I couldn't make it.

His output in the 70's is all the more fantastic as we have a master at the top of his game producing some excellent artwork that was appreciated all the more for it feeling so modern despite the fact that he must have been the oldest artist in the 2000AD go to list!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

In between King Cobra for Hotspur, he also drew "Beatles of Doom" in late '77 for Hotspur as well after which another series of King Cobra followed. What I would like to know is: who wrote King Cobra? Ron Smith created the character - did he write it as well?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

We haven't even mentioned his other iconic strip Flying Fury.

As to who wrote the stories, that was most likely a staffer or another freelancer. An email to DCT would pay dividends on that matter.

Raven

Post by Raven »

geoff42 wrote:In between King Cobra for Hotspur, he also drew "Beatles of Doom" in late '77 for Hotspur as well after which another series of King Cobra followed.

Beatles of Doom?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Didn't they play in the Grim Reeperbahn district of Germany? :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It's another of those totally mad stories with an creature growing to gigantic size and causing havoc. It was published in 1960 in the rebooted Hotspur and then was redrawn by Ron Smith for publication in 1977. You are looking around issues 940 to 970 to read it. I hope that the batch of Hotspurs I am getting from another board member will have one or two issues of the story so that I can grab a picture for you to see.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I think this may be an 'in-joke' about some confusion between popular rock combo, the Beatles and the world's most popular insect, the beetles.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies