The new(ish) pen behind the Bash Street Kids

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Proudfoot

The new(ish) pen behind the Bash Street Kids

Post by Proudfoot »

Hello all

I'm a long-time British comics fan (The Beano, The Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Cheekly Weekly, Bullet & Warlord to name some favourites) and - since May 2014 - I've been lucky enough to write the adventures for The Bash Street Kids. From May '14 to December '14, I wrote perhaps 1 in 3 strips. Since Christmas last year, it's been me full time. I wish I could go back and tell the 10 year old me that this would happen - he'd be ecstatic!

I'm SO thrilled to have my scripts illustrated by the legend that is David Sutherland. I was born in 1967 and so, aside from older annuals, David's artwork is all I have ever known. He sent me a wonderful email earlier this year, saying that he enjoys illustrating my ideas as they felt like 'older, traditional' BSK stories. I'm still grinning as a result!

Since joining the team at The Beano, I've also written a handful of Gnasher & Gnipper strips, and three for Calamity James. But, the Bash Street Kids is where my real passion lies.

Cheers!

Tommy
The new(ish) pen behind The Bash Street Kids.
www.tommydonbavand.com

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The new(ish) pen behind the Bash Street Kids

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Good fer you, Tommo, and velcome to the forum........that's a pretty impressive pedigree you have there.

Funny I was listening to a Radio 2 documentary on Boy George [ask yer grandad] t'other night, and his backing singer Helen Terry was interviewed and I remember she wrote some Bash Street Kids strips back in the early 80s [or summat].

Proudfoot

Post by Proudfoot »

I hope that means I get to go on tour with Boy George some day... ;)
The new(ish) pen behind The Bash Street Kids.
www.tommydonbavand.com

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Glad you are getting such good feedback...from David..

BeanoMaster1

Post by BeanoMaster1 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Good fer you, Tommo, and velcome to the forum........that's a pretty impressive pedigree you have there.

Funny I was listening to a Radio 2 documentary on Boy George [ask yer grandad] t'other night, and his backing singer Helen Terry was interviewed and I remember she wrote some Bash Street Kids strips back in the early 80s [or summat].
I remember and old Baby Face Finlayson strip (I think) where Baby Face pretended to be Boy George.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The one I remember best was a very early one, where his wanted poster turned upside-down makes him look completely different, with a new face.

Great dialogue in that strip-------

starscape

Post by starscape »

Helen Terry wrote the Bash Street Kids??!! Any other comics?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think she did occassional scripts for DCT in the early 80s, just as a sideline--I asked the Gnasher creator/experienced Beano scriptwriter about this, and he had definitely heard of her.