A Humorous Pastiche?

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

A Humorous Pastiche?

Post by Phoenix »

With regard to item 45 in Malcolm Phillips's most recent COMIC BOOK AUCTIONS catalogue, which presumably many members receive, can I clarify that its presentation of a dog holding the mirror in which the naked young woman is observing herself, which, Malcolm tells us, appeared in JANE'S JOURNAL No 2 in 1944, drawn by Norman Pett, is a pastiche on a much greater painting, usually referred to as THE ROKEBY VENUS painted by the great Spanish artist Diego Velazquez (1599-1660). He was Court painter to King Felipe IV. The painting was originally known here as THE TOILET OF VENUS. Two or three years ago, after seeing the painting in the National Gallery in London, I bought a print of it (27'' wide by 18'' deep) and eventually had it beautifully framed at the art shop Mirror Image in St. Ives during one of my many week-long breaks in Hayle. It is displayed appropriately in my house, along with Raphael's THE MADONNA OF THE PINKS, and Francisco de Goya's brilliant pair, LA MAJA VESTIDA (the dressed lady) and LA MAJA DESNUDA (the naked lady), basically paintings of the Duquesa de Alba, his favourite mistress, both poses being more or less identical, and both purchased from the Museo del Prado in 1970/71 when my then wife, Lynne, and I lived and worked in Madrid for the best part of a year.

Regarding the dog holding the mirror in the pastiche, I forgot to include the information that in the Velazquez painting the mirror is being held by a female cherub with wings.