New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

Post by Peter Gray »

Got my mag..from Borders in Kingston...
nice reading about Frank McDiarmid the best bit for me in the mag..loved to have read even more..loved his 2009 cartoon of Cheeky and the caricuture of the interviewer...
also interesting that DC Thomson are holding on to all his Roger the Dodger originals and has to ask to hire them out..maybe they could give him at least one original to own..
also where are all the Cheeky originals..?
also Texas Ted looked interesting and what did Frank draw for Eagle comic?

I'm glad he loves his character Cheeky and the gang just as much today..

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Peter Gray wrote: also where are all the Cheeky originals..?
Well, I've got one! Krazy and Cheeky were my comics. Far from the most famous but a cut above in my opinion.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

chrissmillie wrote:
Peter Gray wrote: also where are all the Cheeky originals..?
Well, I've got one! Krazy and Cheeky were my comics. Far from the most famous but a cut above in my opinion.
Cheeky was a favourite of mine too, as were his supporting cast. Particularly the lady pictured below, who caught me at an impressionable age...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:Particularly the lady pictured below, who caught me at an impressionable age...
Were there no little girls living nearby when you were at your impressionable age? I mean like real ones? I don't wish to put too much of a dampener on this revelation but is that sweat cascading out of her armpit?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Particularly the lady pictured below, who caught me at an impressionable age...
Were there no little girls living nearby when you were at your impressionable age? I mean like real ones? I don't wish to put too much of a dampener on this revelation but is that sweat cascading out of her armpit?
How dare you! Lily Pop did not sweat! She was perfect I tell you, perfect! :evil:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:She was perfect I tell you, perfect!
Well she certainly wouldn't fall flat on her face, that's for sure.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Of course, you get a lot of toilet humour cropping up in comics nowadays, but i remember how rude the always-needing-the-loo Walter Wurx seemed at the time in Cheeky Weekly; the first example of toilet humour in a mainstream kids comic?

Raven

Post by Raven »

Peter Gray wrote: also Texas Ted looked interesting and what did Frank draw for Eagle comic?

I'm glad he loves his character Cheeky and the gang just as much today..

I remember Texas Ted's run in TV Comic very well.

Another career highlight was his strip Mystery Museum from 1975 Whizzer and Chips - a museum where if you touch any of the exhibits you immediately shoot back to their time. There was the odd ghosted strip but it was mainly by Frank. One of the comic's highlights at the time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phil Clarke forgot to bring his Crikeys to the fair on Sunday so I figured on a little wait to get my copy. Imagine my surprise as tonight, when walking to London Bridge station, I glanced in a newsagents window and saw it on the shelf! Went into the aforesaid establishment and procured copy of same. The thing is I always get a bus and have never seen that newsagents before. Thank you god!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

stevezodiac wrote:Phil Clarke forgot to bring his Crikeys to the fair on Sunday so I figured on a little wait to get my copy. Imagine my surprise as tonight, when walking to London Bridge station, I glanced in a newsagents window and saw it on the shelf! Went into the aforesaid establishment and procured copy of same. The thing is I always get a bus and have never seen that newsagents before. Thank you god!
*ahem* now available in over 900 outlets at last count *ahem* :wink:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:The thing is I always get a bus and have never seen that newsagents before.
In true comic book fashion, that newsagents was probably only there for you that day, Steve. If you go back there tomorrow you will find that it has been a family fish and chip shop for three generations. Crikey!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:The thing is I always get a bus and have never seen that newsagents before.
In true comic book fashion, that newsagents was probably only there for you that day, Steve. If you go back there tomorrow you will find that it has been a family fish and chip shop for three generations. Crikey!
OK, that's annoying-where does this concept come from? I know I've encountered it before somewhere, but I can't place it...

Raven

Post by Raven »

tony ingram wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
OK, that's annoying-where does this concept come from? I know I've encountered it before somewhere, but I can't place it...

Isn't it the kind of scenario you got in 1950s weird US comics, reprinted in the UK Alan Class titles: Secrets of the Unknown, Sinister Tales, etc. - person buys creepy object from shop; it causes mischief; when he returns the shop is no longer there ... ?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sounds familiar to me too - in fact Harry Potter uses this trope, by having Diagon Alley hidden to muggles, but visible to wizards, and also with the train platform, which is only there on the day the Hogwarts Express leaves. Obviously the disappearing building thing did appear elsewhere before that though.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've been trying for some hours to recall the source of this concept, and I know that Raven is definitely on the right track. It isn't going to be that easy because I even convert text stories into a visual memory. The nearest I've got so far is the beginning of the four short stories that make up the 1973 Peter Cushing film From Beyond The Grave. People who cheat the proprietor of the antique shop Temptations Ltd meet a nasty end. The trouble is that the shop doesn't disappear, so somebody else must have used the basic Cushing scenario to add a very interesting new element. Of course the Cushing film might itself have developed out of an earlier idea. I could have read it as a short story in a sci-fi compilation, or possibly it may just have been in one of the Thomsons' picture papers for girls. I feel close to it, but so far not close enough. It may trigger somebody else's memory, though.