This Was The Wizard

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: This Was The Wizard

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Will he sell them via ebay? I saw a copy at the comic fair signed by Derek but it was a display copy. I have some funds in my paypal account so would prefer to buy it that way.
There isn't one on eBay at the moment, Steve, so if Phil only had a display copy at the comic fair he had probably sold out before you got there. He will have to get more stock from me, so it might make more sense for you to buy it directly from me. It's as broad as it is long of course apart from the fact that I will get it to you more quickly so it's up to you. You can certainly pay me using PayPal by sending the money (£28) to my email address derek.g.marsden@sky.com, but make sure you use the 'paying money to a friend' option as that way no fees are charged.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes Frank Dobson sent me £35 via paypal a few weeks back but I only received about £32 of it. I don't understand how their fees system works. I will be doing some ebay parcels tonight - Jack Kirby Collectors mostly but will have to go onto my laptop to see if the buyers have paid before I post them. I'll see if I can do some jiggery pokery with your proffered e-mail address and pay you that way. Off home now and to read some Patrick O'Brian on the tube.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Got the last copy from 30th century today, looks good
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Richard S. wrote:Got the last copy from 30th century today, looks good
Well that's good news in two ways, Richard. First because you've bought a copy, which I'm sure you will enjoy reading, but secondly because 30th Century will be on the phone to me tomorrow morning with their third repeat order for more copies, and I serviced their last order barely two weeks ago. Incidentally they have also been ordering more copies of Free Gifts In The Big Five but that won't concern you as I know you have already got one!
:cheers:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
Richard S. wrote:Got the last copy from 30th century today, looks good
Well that's good news in two ways, Richard. First because you've bought a copy, which I'm sure you will enjoy reading, but secondly because 30th Century will be on the phone to me tomorrow morning with their third repeat order for more copies, and I serviced their last order barely two weeks ago. Incidentally they have also been ordering more copies of Free Gifts In The Big Five but that won't concern you as I know you have already got one!
:cheers:
I'm pleased to hear it's selling well, Derek! :cheers:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I imagine it's not all that unusual for an author to come across interesting and usable information after one of his/her books has been published. It has certainly happened to me this morning. While in the process of buying two of Cecil Bernard Rutley's novels for girls, out of curiosity I looked up the entry for him in The Encyclopaedia Of Boys' School Stories by Robert Kirkpatrick (Ashgate) and discovered that the plot of his The Box Of St. Bidolph's (Blackie & Son 1929) is curiously similar to that of the serial story ''I'll Bust That Blinking School!'' (1941), which is entry 416 in the synopses section of This Was The Wizard. In the former the whole school is at risk from a wealthy baronet, who wants to reclaim the land on which it is built. He claims to have the original deeds which give him the right to do this, but three members of the Upper Fourth set out to prove him wrong [text copyright Ashgate]. For those who don't have a copy of my book, my entry reads Abner Gridberry is the richest landowner in Tadbury, and a district councillor, but he is not well liked, especially by Dr Fisher, the Head of Tadbury College. Gridberry is constantly claiming that the college is on his land, and threatening them with eviction. However, despite producing documents, and the support of expensive lawyers, his efforts are often trumped by pupils, and other documents unearthed by Parkin, the school's porter and archivist. This fun tale ends when police overhear Gridberry admitting criminal deception.

Now that the book has arrived I might as well upload the front cover.
Attachments
BoxOfStBids.jpg