New Commando Editor speaks

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Sergeant Jock

New Commando Editor speaks

Post by Sergeant Jock »

I see on http://www.whereeaglesdare.eu/inter11.htm that the new editor of Commando has given an interview.

He seems keen for readers to get in touch with him about what they want to see in the comic.

Maybe we should send him some of the ideas suggested here...or do you think he's already looking in?

I started reading Commando in the 60s (when I was very young, of course) and I wouldn't mind seeing some of those again. Only found a few originals in the attic when my folks moved. Maybe they're too politcally-incorrect to print. Would anyone care?

I'm going to ask him anyway. Get your suggestions in quick.

mailto://Editor@commandomag.com

PS Lew's right about the colouring and the manga.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: New Commando Editor speaks

Post by felneymike »

I think issue 11 of Commando had a black main character, which, if he wasn't an uncle tom stereotype was probably quite unusual for the time. Though as reprints tend to be culled from a certian number of years before the present i expect we shan't see that one again. Unless anywhere down the line they decide to print: How It Began - The FIRST 12 Commando books EVER!

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

There has been a website address printed in recent issues for a survey of readers opinions. According to the website, this survey is for readers only at present, but they'll add a link for website users soon.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Sergeant Jock wrote:I see on http://www.whereeaglesdare.eu/inter11.htm that the new editor of Commando has given an interview.

He seems keen for readers to get in touch with him about what they want to see in the comic.....
And here's the link for the interview.

http://www.downthetubes.net/features/in ... 70408.html

Unlike Sgt Jock, I started reading Commando in the 70's but there are still a few issues that I would love to get my hands on from the 60's.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On the subject of PC when the Dambusters was shown on ITV a few months ago Bomber Harris's dog - Nigger - was called "Boy" all the way through the film by dubbing over the offending word. I understand there is a new Dambusters film in production and wonder if they will shy away from using the offending word. This poses the question of do we misrepresent historical fact so as not to offend? In old Commandos (and Captain Hurricane) there are references to Nips, Krauts and Eyeties because this is how soldiers spoke during the war - remember they were referring to their enemies. We could sanitise our comics but would it be proper? What thinkest thou?

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

There is a difficult line to tread between authenticity and historical accuracy, but at the same time holding back on language that may (may? WILL) cause offence. Last summer there was a best of British season shown at cinemas in collaberation with the B.B.C. There was a palpably uncomfortable initial moment during the screening of The Dambusters in the cinema which became more relaxed as the film progressed. It seemed that the film was of its time and was teated as such by the audience and I'm glad of that for two reasons. We DID feel uncomfortable with the casual use of the word "nigger" as a proper noun, but we were also able to conextualise its use.
Good old us! :)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

They still use language like "Jerry", "Nip" etc in Commando, in fact. I suppose it isn't widely read/known about enough for the "PC Brigade" to realise it's going on. I do notice it appears more often in reprints than in new strips, though, but is still there, and long may it continue

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just to keep with actual fact. It was Guy Gibson who was leader of the Dambusters and not 'Bomber' Harris. I think it's absurd to dub out the dog's actual name not least because it was also one of the code words used during the dambuster raid itself. I'd be interested to know how they got around that dubbing problem in this bowlderized version.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And Nigger is buried next to the guardroom at RAF Scampton, where 617 Sqn took off to carry out the raid. The reason that Gibson's dog's name was used was because it was run over the day before the raid and that Gibson thought it would be a fitting tribute to his dog if the raid was a success.

Incidentally, this is one of the stories that featured in the True War story libraries that was printed by IPC and was beautifully illustrated by Ian Kennedy. Will have a dig around and see if I can get a scan for you all.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes i did realise it was Guy Gibson and not Bomber Harris, I was laying in bed that night thinking about it when I realised my error. The new Dambusters film is being directed by the bloke who directed the Lord of the Rings trilogy but I can never remember his name - yes i can - Peter Jackson! Just came to me. While i'm on i should say i'd prefer the Commando reprints to be from earlier issues. I have been a subscriber for a few years now and reckon i'll be getting the same issues again in another few years. Go back to number 1 and you might even pick up new readers. One other thing, I loved that yellow background there used to be for the Commando title bar, bring it back.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Though DCT do archive original artwork which means thier reprint books (which are increased in size too) look clean and nice whilst IPC ones look rather fuzzy (but are still cool, i was genuinely shocked at the grimness of War Picture Library!), that old artwork still degrades over time. I'm sure i read somewhere that the very earliest issues are now too far gone to meet thier exacting standards of reprinting. And i think where they are currently, at the beginning of the 90's, is as "far back as they dare go" to still have the art presented at the same quality level as the brand new issues.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

I never thought I'd say this....but..er...Photoshop!It is the bees knees for cleaning up old artwork!Darken it,lighten it.I am sure a bit of image editing would make anything presentable and re-printable too!

:shhh: optimistic Cap!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There is something to be said for black and white reprints. Anyone who reads Roy Thomas's Alter Ego fanzine will know that, because it is a black and white magazine, he prefers to reproduce art and covers in that medium. He therefore appreciates our Alan Class reprints which reproduced 50s horror and sci fi stuff as, transferring colour to a black and white magazine gives it a muddy look. Of course he uses the Essentials and Showcase reprint volumes for the Marvel and DC stuff but has to turn to UK and Australian reprints for black and white imagery from other companies. If I see some original artwork for sale on ebay i sometimes copy it and e-mail the image to him. Used to get some great stuff from Vault Auctions and Comic Book Postal Auctions but those sites seem to have vanished. Here's an example: (Alex Toth page): I e-mailed this to Roy and he used it in Alter Ego, I even got a credit.