Commando article in latest Weekly News (again!)

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Commando article in latest Weekly News (again!)

Post by stevezodiac »

The latest Weekly News has a small article about the 65th annniversary of D-Day and Commando's tibute month. Here tis:

Commando CO

Re: Commando article in latest Weekly News (again!)

Post by Commando CO »

The article, written by Commando Chief Sub-Editor Scott Montgomery, is a little rundown of what we're doing in June. Bearing in mind that D-Day was a pivotal moment in world history, we reckoned we should have a salute to the folks who gave so much, especially as they say it will be the last big celebration of the event.

And for Commando fiends it was it was a great opportunity to reprint a story form way back when. Which is something we'd like to do more of in the future. Probably to tie up with our birthday in 2011.

The info was sent to various comic websites and newspapers. Our friends at The Weekly News gave us a good bit of space (as they have done in the past) in their D-Day features. So go and buy the Weekly News to say thank you for supporting Commando!
Commando — home of heroes since 1961

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Another Weekly News Commando article. In this week's issue out today. Obviously its four new stories per month with four reprints.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I think Hindi reprints of Commando have actually re-started recently, but I can't remember where I read that now. Wierdly the Indian version is the same size as the big Carlton books, though is only single issues. The older Indian reprints were in "colour", though from what i've seen of it on an Indian comic blog it was even more gaudy than the 'new' Classics Illustrated.
Also the Finnish version, Kokwakakjijijijkiityts (or something) is the same size as the recent small books with 3 stories in.

starscape

Post by starscape »

And I've got the #1 of an Arabic version (unfortunately back in North Africa). Unsurprisingly, it didn't take off. I only found it in one shop and then it disappeared.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I won't be able to go to the lecture as I have a pressing engagement somewhere else in London, which is a ruddy shame as I would have seriously enjoyed it, but it would have meant entering the lair of the enemy, the Army Museum! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Sergeant Jock

Post by Sergeant Jock »

I know we all like to be accurate here so...

Steve, it is actually four a fortnight, not eight a month. They issue 104 a year now as distinct from the old 96.

Felneymike, no new (official) Hindi reprints. The ones done were in English, produced by Eurokids a year or so back and had two different forms, three books in one and a single book in one. They were indeed almost the page size of the big Carlton Collections.

Korkeajannitys produce four stories in a single cover at the Commando size but the finished product has the proportions of a paperback, not a pocket novel (or whatever the size is called). The Carlton "mini-collections" are three books in one...and free with my subscription.

Starscape, I've heard a rumour of this but never seen it. I don't suppose you could organise a scan? You say "unsurprisingly it didn't take off" but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think it was the wrong marketplace?

Colcool, the exhibition is on for six months so you've plenty of time. Wear a disguise, no-one need know it's you. I've seen it and recommend it if you want to get up close to some original artwork. The detail is fantastic.

starscape

Post by starscape »

It's still in Egypt unfortunately but I'll be getting it over either Xmas or next year (sorry!).

I say unsurprisingly as British military reputation had taken a severe nosedive after Iraq. People over there don't really get how important the war was too. They generally see it as one occupying force or the other, however terrible the yoke of Nazi oppression would have been for the Arabs (hated as much as the Jews, with many killed in concentration camps).

Maybe if the stories had been chosen about North Africa, it may have been different? There's been some cracking ones about that.

Are you involved with DC Thomson yourself Jock? (or is it Sergeant?)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Sergeant Jock

Post by Sergeant Jock »

Thanks for the info on the Egyptian issues and the background. I can see what you mean about the military's reputation.

Am I associated with DC Thomson? Let's just say that like the Bedouin, their watering holes and mine co-incide! And have done for quite a long time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My point was that they said four new stories a fortnight whereas two of them are reprint. I didn't know they had increased by eight issues a year which is encouraging as it means sales are good.

Sergeant Jock

Post by Sergeant Jock »

Apologies, Steve, I misunderstood your comment, I only picked up that you said eight a month.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm debating whether to subscribe again or not. I love Commando but haven't got the space to keep them. I suppose I could read them and then ebay them for a small sum. But I have hundreds of unread issues massed in my collection from when I previously subscribed.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

They don't take very long to read XD I often take breaks from drawing my own comics by reading them "while the ink dries". At least I tell myself that!
Anyway I saw an issue of Korkeajannitys at the exhibition, and it is a bit thicker than the carlton mini-collections. They also have one of the old Hindi ones there, but not open so you can't see the coloring.
They also have the original cover artwork from "Trail of Treachery"!