ALL REPRINTS THIS WEEK.

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

ALL REPRINTS THIS WEEK.

Post by stevezodiac »

I looked at the latest Commandos in Smiths yesterday and noticed all four issues were reprints - does this mean they are down to two new stories a month or is this a one-off?
Obviously I'm aware how difficult it is to come up with new ideas and also with the economic climate it is cheaper to reprint old issues but is still a bit worrying.

Sergeant Jock

Re: ALL REPRINTS THIS WEEK.

Post by Sergeant Jock »

Steve, I think that two of these are the normal re-issues and the other two are the "Special Request" ones. They did this twice last year (I think) and in the intro to The Fighting Penguins in this lot they say it's one people have asked to see again. There's also a badge on the cover that says "Special Request". It's the same on The Cage.

My reading is that they'll be back to two and two in a fortnight's time. If only they could get a government minister to get everyone panic buying Commandos maybe they could go back to all new ones! Sorry, too political? :)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The editorial does say that the "by special request" feature is now twice-yearly, while the other two reprints are "themed". So we're basically getting four extra reprints a year, which isn't too hard to take!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I looked at them again this afternoon and was relievd to see the By Popular Request logo on the front. I'm suspicious though, exactly how many readers can remember a specific story and write in asking for it to be reprinted. The inside cover mentions someone from the RAF asking. I noticed one of the latest issues is drawn by Cecil Rigby who spent 40 years drawing for Commando. I never knew he did comic work, figured he was a political gag cartoonist. Or something. Great artist though. Not to be confused with Rigby who drew cartoons for the Sun in its first few years. (But maybe I am confusing the two) does anyone know about Cecil Rigby's other work?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I can remember "Division of the Dead", one of the first ones I ever read! But I can remember it so well there's no need to ask for a reprint.

Sergeant Jock

Post by Sergeant Jock »

I think that Cecil Rigby was a sports cartoonist as well. Somewhere I've read that he did those football player caricatures that the papers used to use when they did results editions. I have the feeling it was Manchester/Leeds that were mentioned. Whether he drew for the Sun, I don't know, but it is possible.

Maybe a footie fan could help?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have a book of Rigby Cartoons - the Sun one that is. He had the man and the pigeon hidden in every cartoon. I remember those football caricatures - I think they used them in the London Evening News. Maybe they were syndicated out to whichever paper needed them.