Something new is happening to Commando in early June!!

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Something new is happening to Commando in early June!!

Post by Phoenix »

-MikeD- wrote:As a regular reader, I'm not happy with the monster price hike.
It's only 50p per week for heaven's sake, hardly a hike. 50p will only get you just over half a Grab Bag of cheese and onion crisps, and the full two pounds will barely cover half a pint of lager.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And to be fair, it should've been expected. The Beano also did the same price rise not so long ago. The last Commando price rise was in April 2011, more than two years ago, and only by 5p. It was overdue another raise.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Phoenix wrote:
-MikeD- wrote:As a regular reader, I'm not happy with the monster price hike.
It's only 50p per week for heaven's sake, hardly a hike. 50p will only get you just over half a Grab Bag of cheese and onion crisps, and the full two pounds will barely cover half a pint of lager.
You're right, of course. But all these extra pennies add up... :)
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went home via Greenwich last night and noticed in the window of the discount book shop opposite Greenwich Cinema they had several volumes of the Commando, War, Battle and Air Ace Picture Library collections. Variously priced at £2, £3 and £5.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There is an article about Commando in today's Daily Mail - rather than scan it on here you just have to go to Mail Online and search for Commando. Its a bit Jingoistic - surprise surprise.

Chris O'Leary

Post by Chris O'Leary »

There is an article about Commando in today's Daily Mail - rather than scan it on here you just have to go to Mail Online and search for Commando. Its a bit Jingoistic - surprise surprise.
I presume it's OK to link to the story that Commando is printed in Germany and will continue to be permanently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ounce.html

despite its jokiness, the on-line version is informative and has great photos!

This on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23004916

As for Korkeajännitys, I had a bumper hardback edition until recently starring a story about Snipers vs. Tiger Tanks.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

They are now using larger pictures and different font for the new drawn Commandos..

I do like the flap a handy bookmark also nice to see the picture..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I noticed a few days ago that there are now Kindle editions of Commando - you can buy single issues from Amazon or subscribe through the Commando website. Has anyone used these? Do you get a page to a screen or can it be viewed panel by panel. I have had a Kindle since January but have so far not bought anything from Amazon - techno phobia i'm afraid - just been reading books from a dvd I bought from ebay. I never did sort out the wi-fi part of it.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I suppose if you get it on an "etch a sketch" style Kindle, the cover artwork is greyscale. Oh well, it is in the compilation books too, so that's no loss!