Something new is happening to Commando in early June!!

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Something new is happening to Commando in early June!!

Post by Peter Gray »

they're not becoming colour...But something very new is to happen?

Hope all are members of Commando at facebook heres the message..a good advert for here..
From the Briefing Room, Commando HQ

Over the last two years we've been listening to your thoughts about Commando and working to make the comic the best we can for you.

We started the Gold and Silver Collections, digging deep into our archive for the very best classic stories — because you asked us to — and these have proved very popular.

We started our By Special Request series to give you a chance to nominate titles you wanted to see again — because you asked us to. Judging by the number of requests we get every week, you like this idea.

We moved to better, cleaner, heavier papers to show off our artwork better — because you asked us to. You've told us that they take up more space on the bookshelf but you like the better quality.

Now we've managed to go a step further with the first major change to the Commando format since 1961. We've seen the first sample copies and we know you’re going to like it. The details will remain restricted for a few days yet but we’ll let you all about it know soon.

And there are more changes to come in the near future, ones that we know you will like (because you've told us) and that will give you more reasons to keep Commando at the top of your reading list.

Don’t worry, though, Commando will be staying the same 68-page pocket-size helping of action and adventure which you tell us you want.

So prepare yourself to get down to the newsstand on the 6th of June (Commando’s very own D-Day) and look out for the new issues with their yellow cover flashes. We think you’ll like what you find.

Calum Laird, Editor

Image They are testing for colour...But I think it would be difficult if say red was used for blood..maybe its best left black and white and use our imagination more..

Digifiend

Re: Something new is happening to Commando in early June!!

Post by Digifiend »

Yellow cover flashes? If that's a reference to the masthead, then currently the colour varies (usually two yellow and two red, though one issue had blue a few months ago). New logo? They've always had the same one.

Looking at the original post, one guy clearly doesn't know what's available. Asking for Victor and Warlord reprints. Well, the Victor ones already exist, there's been several books out, released as annuals but WHSmith don't seem to realise this as they still have them (and Beano-Dandy Panto Time, which is also supposed to be an annual). Commando's reply to him was that they'd be better suited as annuals, hinting at this fact, but for some reason not outright advertising them. Classics from the Comics used to use Victor material as well. If only it still existed! They should find an outlet to reprint Warlord too though. It features Codename Warlord, which they could use to advertise Retro Active in the Digital Dandy.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course, if they are moving to colour it wouldn't be DC Thomson's first experiment with full-colour adventure strips in the 'Commando' format. Here, for example, is the splash page of Fun-Size Dandy no.79 which starred their 'all-action, sci-fi, Western hero' the Comet.

Personally I prefer this traditional comic-book effect to the more garish page shown in Peter's post.

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Full colour seems unlikely as that adds considerably to the production cost. Unless they are also planning to up the price substantially.

Of course traditionally whenever a British comic publisher declared good news was coming, it meant they were about to cancel something...
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:Of course, if they are moving to colour it wouldn't be DC Thomson's first experiment with full-colour adventure strips in the 'Commando' format. Here, for example, is the splash page of Fun-Size Dandy no.79 which starred their 'all-action, sci-fi, Western hero' the Comet.

Personally I prefer this traditional comic-book effect to the more garish page shown in Peter's post.

- Phil Rushton
The Comet wasn't Western at all. It was set in the modern day. On more than one occasion though, Mike and Lauren got caught up in some theatrical shenanigans, on film sets and such. They were celebrities after all, he was an astronaut before he got his superpowers.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Well this ends the speculation!:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 994&type=1

Fold - out back covers showing off the unsullied cover artwork!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And with it, a price increase from £1.50 to £2.

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I was quite happy with the format of Commando.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thank Goodness! At least they have not gone to colour as that seems to be the death knell of any comic when they switch from B&W to colour.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

phew, a jump to £2 is a bit of a hike.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I wonder if they could show the original artwork on the fold out..
will have to wait and see..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

starscape wrote:phew, a jump to £2 is a bit of a hike.
Especially if you buy all four issues. It's now £8 instead of £6.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

As a regular reader, I'm not happy with the monster price hike.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

starscape

Post by starscape »

I'm also disappointed that there seems to be little outside the World Wars now. Oh, I know it's always been the staple and there's still the odd English Civil War or whatever but there was a time when there was regularly a wider range of subjects.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My local WH Smith at Surrey Quays closed for good on Saturday. It was the only place that sold Commando so I will never see the new style. I gave up subscribing because I didn't want all the reprint issues. The service in Smiths was deplorable which is probably why it closed - the number of times I've walked out rather than queue up waiting while they give every customer a stupid coupon with their change. Probably everyone did likewise.