Advert for Commandos 1 and 2

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Advert for Commandos 1 and 2

Post by stevezodiac »

I may have put this on before. I have been going through the pictures on my pc (stuff I'd scanned for ebay pics) and putting cover scans onto the Grand Comics database. I came across this full page advert:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Advert for Commandos 1 and 2

Post by colcool007 »

That's great Steve. What I really like is that the spine is in the wrong place for both of them showing that they were still sorting out the layout when the advert was created.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I looked at Commando 1 on google and the number was not on the front cover. Was it on the back cover as per the advert?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

This is the only picture that I can find of the rear cover, so I would say that it was. The weird thing is that I have just had a look at all of the first four covers and not one of them has the issue number on the front of the book. The issue number does not appear on the front cover until issue 5.

Can anyone tell me if this happened with any other comic? And yet another day where I have learned something new. Epic!
Commando 1 Rear Cover.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It seems to be a design error.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As a matter of interest DC Comics rarely included a number on the first issue of any comic they launched in America during the early 1960s. Supposedly this was because retailers didn't like to stock publications with no established readership.