Commando Announcement

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Commando Announcement

Post by colcool007 »

I hope everyone caught the Commando announcement. If not, watch the video and enjoy the news
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Re: Commando Announcement

Post by starscape »

I suggested that years ago to Euan Kerr but, much as he liked it, he didn't think DCT would go down that line. Personally, I hope they don't stick to just WWI or II. Some classic characters from sci-fi, sport etc. would also be great but I can see there would be resistance.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Those other genres used to have their own books - Football and Starblazer (though I think a sports one would need a more versatile title now so it can run things like Tough of the Track). It's a shame they can't expand the pocket library line. It's down to just Commando now, but it used to also have Football, Starblazer, plus I think three of the girls comics and Beano and Dandy.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What is the special announcement? The sound is very poor and, together with the thick Scots accent, made it hard going. I couldn't sit through nine minutes of it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Have now watched the video. I have the first issue of Warlord and it's been treated a lot better than his copy :) I look forward to the Peter Flint issues and my suggestion for a revived character would be Cameron RN which I think was in Victor. My sole reading at the moment, book wise, is historical naval fiction such as the Thomas Kydd, Nathaniel Drinkwater and John Pearce series'.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Here's the story in writing, for any other non-Scots who make hard weather of our accents.

https://downthetubes.net/?p=109746

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In one of Tony Hancock's shows where he is in Scotland the script went something like this:

"I asked a local for directions, he then spent three minutes clearing his throat, then I realised those were the directions." :)

In my defence I love Alan Brazil and Ally McCoist together on Talksport breakfast.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:plus I think three of the girls comics
There were actually eleven titles for girls from DCT, Digi. The titles were BUNTY, JUDY, MANDY, DEBBIE, DIANA, EMMA, NIKKI, TRACY, SPELLBOUND, M&J (= MANDY and JUDY combined) and SUZY. Titles such as JACKIE and BLUE JEANS were for older girls.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
Digifiend wrote:plus I think three of the girls comics
There were actually eleven titles for girls from DCT, Digi. The titles were BUNTY, JUDY, MANDY, DEBBIE, DIANA, EMMA, NIKKI, TRACY, SPELLBOUND, M&J (= MANDY and JUDY combined) and SUZY. Titles such as JACKIE and BLUE JEANS were for older girls.
I think Digi was referring to those Thomson girls titles that had a picture library associated with them Derek,namely Bunty,Judy and Debbie.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I think Digi was referring to those Thomson girls titles that had a picture library associated with them Derek, namely Bunty, Judy and Debbie.
Well I'm undecided, Ray, as to whether to place 100% of the blame on Digi for a lack of clarity, or on myself due to not having fully recovered from the alcohol consumed in Grameen, an Indian restaurant in Hayle, where a dozen family members and friends met up on Lois's birthday to celebrate her promotion to teenager. It remains to be seen whether we will have to place the adjective 'stroppy' just in front of 'teenager'. To be honest, I can't imagine that we will feel the need to, but her father was a bit of a handful at a similar age, and Lois certainly knows her own mind. She and I get on very well though, despite the age difference. I don't know who worked out the seating plan for the meal in Grameen, but I was placed between my ex-wife Lynne on my left, and Lois on my right. Just beyond her was her good friend Jess, who insists on addressing me as 'Gramps' every time she sees me'. I don't mind, but although she will be starting her final year in the local Primary School in September, it almost seems as if she's on the cusp of becoming an official member of our family. :roll: :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I think Digi was referring to those Thomson girls titles that had a picture library associated with them Derek, namely Bunty, Judy, and Debbie.
I've just been upstairs to my second bedroom, Ray, which is so full of boxes that for the time being I have no idea where my collections of DEBBIE Picture Story Library issues and BUNTY PSLs are. They won't have gone walkabout. The JUDY PSLs are there, as are the MANDY PSLs. I have never attempted to acquire full runs of any of them. I merely bought those that either looked interesting, or were related in a specific way to serial stories in the actual story papers. One of these days I will have to get a lot of the boxes and piles of story papers into the attic, which is basically empty and boarded throughout. That will therefore allow me to put a single bed in the bedroom. Russ has told me that he will take all my boxes of story papers for boys from the lounge and put them into the attic until I need them, at which point he will bring them down again, and replace them with my story papers for girls when I have completed BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, which will probably take about six more months to prepare for the printers. Lois keeps on at me to let her and Jess come down for a sleepover, but for that to happen, I will have to buy another mattress. Alex would be wanting his turn of course, but he'd have to bring Autumn's younger brother, Louis, if he wants a companion. Autumn would have to come down with Lois, as past history suggests that there is no telling what she would get up to if she was with Alex. That situation would never arise of course because Alex would simply refuse to be in the same house as her. :? Having said that, she wasn't any sort of threat to him either in the car or in the open-air swimming pool in Penzance a week or so ago.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
Kashgar wrote:I think Digi was referring to those Thomson girls titles that had a picture library associated with them Derek, namely Bunty, Judy, and Debbie.
I've just been upstairs to my second bedroom, Ray, which is so full of boxes that for the time being I have no idea where my collections of DEBBIE Picture Story Library issues and BUNTY PSLs are. They won't have gone walkabout. The JUDY PSLs are there, as are the MANDY PSLs. I have never attempted to acquire full runs of any of them. I merely bought those that either looked interesting, or were related in a specific way to serial stories in the actual story papers. One of these days I will have to get a lot of the boxes and piles of story papers into the attic, which is basically empty and boarded throughout. That will therefore allow me to put a single bed in the bedroom. Russ has told me that he will take all my boxes of story papers for boys from the lounge and put them into the attic until I need them, at which point he will bring them down again, and replace them with my story papers for girls when I have completed BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, which will probably take about six more months to prepare for the printers. Lois keeps on at me to let her and Jess come down for a sleepover, but for that to happen, I will have to buy another mattress. Alex would be wanting his turn of course, but he'd have to bring Autumn's younger brother, Louis, if he wants a companion. Autumn would have to come down with Lois, as past history suggests that there is no telling what she would get up to if she was with Alex. That situation would never arise of course because Alex would simply refuse to be in the same house as her. :? Having said that, she wasn't any sort of threat to him either in the car or in the open-air swimming pool in Penzance a week or so ago.
My sympathies Derek. I've just had four of my grandchildren staying for a fortnight! And also apologies in that, from memory, I said that there were only three girls picture libraries when, as you point out, there were actually four.

SID

Post by SID »

Well my latest sub came through the door today and even though I was never a Peter Flint fan back in the 70s, I loved the Warlord story - a mixture of war and James Bond.

Looking forward to reading other stories featuring not just Flint but other classic characters.

Still would be great if DCT produced a Commando-like series featuring their characters from their archives.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:Well my latest sub came through the door today and even though I was never a Peter Flint fan back in the 70s, I loved the Warlord story - a mixture of war and James Bond.

Looking forward to reading other stories featuring not just Flint but other classic characters.

Still would be great if DCT produced a Commando-like series featuring their characters from their archives.
I hope you got the message that is on page two which was in Number Code 1 about the next character to get the Commando treatment.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

colcool007 wrote:
SID wrote:Well my latest sub came through the door today and even though I was never a Peter Flint fan back in the 70s, I loved the Warlord story - a mixture of war and James Bond.

I hope you got the message that is on page two which was in Number Code 1 about the next character to get the Commando treatment.
I certainly did not. :o Will have to nip across and re-read.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).