Princess Magazine The Princess Diana Story

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

paperprincess

Post by paperprincess »

Hello.
Does anyone here have any Princess magazines from the 1980's featuring the Princess Diana Story comic strips ?
I am building a website as a tribute to Princess Diana and i would like to feature Princess Magazine.
Any information about the magazines or scans of the comic strip would be greatly appreciated.
If you have any information or scans you can send me please email them to
roblewtomp@msn.com

Thanks.
Love Paper Princess :)

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

PP, I've set you a pm.

:)

paperprincess

Post by paperprincess »

Hello Shaqui.

Thank you for your message and information about Princess Magazine.
I have tried looking online for the British Newspaper Library but have had no luck finding the comic strips of the Princess Diana Story.
Did you mean it was viewable if you actually went there ? or is it possible to view and order photo copies of the comic strips online ?
Please could you let me know.
Thanks.
Best wishes Patricia / paper princess
:D

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

The publication/strips are not viewable online - you would have to visit the British Newspaper Library at Colindale, and order photocopies personally, as the order forms require the issue date and page numbers. The staff do not have time to do the searches themselves.

You could hire a researcher to do it, but I enquired and their rates are ?42 per half hour :shock: not including costs of photocopies and any copyright fee (which I think is a flat rate of around ?5 per title, if it applies. Most periodicals seem to be exempt at the moment)

:)

paperprincess

Post by paperprincess »

Hello Shaqui.

Thank you for all your help and information about the Princess Magazines and comic strips.
Unfortunately i live in Cornwall and i wouldn't be able to travel all the way to London or be able to afford a researcher.
I guess i will have to keep my eyes peeled on Ebay.
Thanks.
Best wishes Paper Princess :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hopefully you should be able to see a scan of Episode 4 (from 15th October 1983 - guest-starring Basil the pigeon!) here:

[IMG:800:573]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q123 ... /Diana.jpg[/img]

Quite nicely handled I think, though I'm not sure who the artist was (it could be Arthur Ranson...what do you think Shaqui?). It's hard to remember just how popular Diana was back in 1983. The whole comic seems to have been launched on a wave of 'Di-mania' with endless pin-ups as well as the 'Royal' title; there was even a humorous strip about her maid called "Sadie-in-waiting"!

Hope this is of some help Paper Princess - All the Best, Phil Rushton :)

Shaqui

Re: Princess Magazine The Princess Diana Story

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Quite nicely handled I think, though I'm not sure who the artist was (it could be Arthur Ranson...what do you think Shaqui?).
Not Arthur Ranson, and the style is unfamiliar. Was 'Princess' IPC or DCT?

:?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Princess Magazine The Princess Diana Story

Post by colcool007 »

Shaqui wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Quite nicely handled I think, though I'm not sure who the artist was (it could be Arthur Ranson...what do you think Shaqui?).
Not Arthur Ranson, and the style is unfamiliar. Was 'Princess' IPC or DCT?

:?
I vaguely recognise the artist's style and I think that it was an IPC mag.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Gary Northfield

Post by Gary Northfield »

Oddly enough, stumbled upon this on ebay

http://tinyurl.com/y7gasm

paperprincess

Post by paperprincess »

Thank You Gary for posting the eBay url.
I am watching it in my eBay.
Best Wishes Paper Princess :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Let us know how you get on with it Princess!

Strangely enough I actually bumped into the chap who unearthed that today and he also had a stackload of production artwork from Princess - including readers' letters about Princess Diana, syndicated photo-proofs of her that were used for pin-ups, and original art boards from 'Sadie in Waiting'. It really never rains but it pours! (And yes, this and the previous incarnation of Princess were published by IPC - while by a weird coincidence its main rival from D C Thomson had been Diana, even though they were both originally launched in the early 1960s! :? )

All the Best, Phil Rushton.

paperprincess

Post by paperprincess »

Hi Phil.

Thanks for posting such an interesting post.
I have sent you a PM.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi! If of interest 'Princess' (IPC) ran for a total of 28 issues between 28th Sept 1983 and 31st Mar 1984 when it merged with Tammy. The only issue I have is No1 which gave away as a free gift a 'Sweetheart Necklace' and contained seven stories and a comic strip. The stories in order of appearance were Ring of Feathers, Mr Evans -the talking Rabbit (yes really a photo strip about a magic bunny!), Their Darling Daughter, Miranda's Magic Kingdom, Stairway to the Stars (another photo story), The Incredible Shrinking Girl and The Princess Diana Story although in the first issue this only ran to half a page which it shared with the Fun Fair puzzle corner. The comic strip was Sadie in Waiting and to round the issue off there was the letters page Princess Post and a full back page photo of Princess Diana. Hope this helps.

paperprincess

Post by paperprincess »

Hi Kashgar.

Thank you so much for all of the information about the number one issue of Princess Magazine.
I have sent you a PM.