Lets hear it for Mandy!

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

helsbels

Lets hear it for Mandy!

Post by helsbels »

I'd just like to get the ball rolling on the subject of Mandy comic - I've been reading through my (small) collection of this publication over the past few days and really enjoyed it! Yes, there are all the usual elements there of workhouse orphans :( , girls living with evil relatives :evil: and ballet/horse stories :roll: - but I have to say they've all been a really good read!!

Anyway, here's to Mandy - would anyone else like to add anything?

Kashgar
Guru

Lets hear it for Mandy!

Post by Kashgar »

Hi HB, Brief history of Mandy, the third of DC Thomson's standard sized girls comics to be published in the wake of Bunty (1958) and Judy (1960).
Mandy No 1 was published on 21st Jan 1967 and the title ran until No 1269
(11/5/91). It was then immediately relaunched from No 1 as part of the combined title Mandy & Judy (soon to adopt the simple monogram M&J) on 18th May 1991, this combined title then running until No 315 (24/5/97) when it's publication was simply suspended. Mandy also spawned the yearly Mandy Book between 1971 and 2007 and the Mandy Picture Story Library which ran to 277 issues between 1978 and 1997. Smewhat surprisingly no Mandy Summer Special was ever published.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Lets hear it for Mandy!

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The 'MANDY' strip that sticks in my memory is the supernatural strip: 'VALDA': this was all magical pendants [a D.C.T. girl's comic favourite STORY-DEVICE of the time].......this dark-haired beauty really stood out as something evocative at the time........as did the VERY cartoon-like ginger-eared dog owned by cover-star MANDY ........all-in-all, very memorable stuff.

Earl

Lets hear it for Mandy!

Post by Earl »

Just lost with a 'low ball' auction for Mandy and Judy Comics on ebay. A full year of the combined title went for 30 quid.