JACKIE special out now - see advert.

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

JACKIE special out now - see advert.

Post by stevezodiac »

This was in yesterday's Weekly News. Looks like it may be the same format as last years Beano 70 years softback special. Same price anyway.
Attachments
best of british 053.jpg

stevezodiac

Re: JACKIE special out now - see advert.

Post by stevezodiac »

I noticed last week that my local Tesco has this prominently displayed.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Wasn't Jackie the mag that heralded the downfall of the British comic? Its mixture of pop features and strips was surely an influence on Look-In, and that in turn later influenced the magazines-with-less-or-no-comic-content we have today I believe?

While we're on the subject of Jackie, whatever happened to all those photo-strip comics that once dominated the market? It was only the other day that I realised they no longer existed. (Not that I ever bought one. I never flinch at being seen buying a childrens' comic but I draw the line at girls' magazines. ;-))

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

stevezodiac wrote:This was in yesterday's Weekly News. Looks like it may be the same format as last years Beano 70 years softback special. Same price anyway.
Thanks Steve bought it today,I love it,It's everything from the 70's, some nice pics of glam stars a couple of pages of those boy girl love strips but downsized so their's no full strips, I never did buy it as a kid(Honest) a girl at school used to bring it in every week and she used to give me the Slade pictures from it good times.Only 68 pages.
Good on D.C Thomson for bringing it out.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I freely admit I read 'JACKIE' every week in the early 70s, after my older cousin was finished with it......it honestly wasn't all that bad, LEW....more entertaining than you might imagine, with a wide variety of different-themed strips [including some that were more fantasy-based] on a large-scale format you just don't see any more [at least, not as easily accessible as this was at the time].

I never actually bought a copy of the mag, though......honest!

I had a quick look through this, and it has definate retro-appeal for late 60s/early 70s addicts......should do pretty well.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I freely admit I read 'JACKIE' every week in the early 70s, after my older cousin was finished with it......it honestly wasn't all that bad, LEW....more entertaining than you might imagine, with a wide variety of different-themed strips [including some that were more fantasy-based] on a large-scale format you just don't see any more [at least, not as easily accessible as this was at the time].

I never actually bought a copy of the mag, though......honest!

I had a quick look through this, and it has definate retro-appeal for late 60s/early 70s addicts......should do pretty well.
My sister bought the odd copy, but I didn't really see it as a comic, more of getting all the pop pictures from it, I was obsessed with pop when I was a teenager not just comics.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My sister used to buy FAB 208 every week which was very similar. It had lots of interviews with characters from tv westerns like the High Chaparral and The Virginian which appealed to me. Also bands like the Who, Stones, Beatles featured heavily. No comic material though but fond memories of reading it as a teen.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I hope it's the second of many. They could do Dandy, Bunty, the Big 5 boys comics, Victor, Beezer, Topper... there's lots of famous DC Thomson comics they could cover. Of course, Jackie has had "Best Of" annuals out for the last three years, the popularity of which probably prompted the creation of this special softback book.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I presume IPC (or whoever they are now - Egmont?) own the rights to FAB 208. Wonder why they don't exploit the archive and do something with that title. All those pictures of Blue Boy and Manolito from High Chaparral must have some place in our society.