Princess Tina

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

philcom55

Princess Tina

Post by philcom55 »

Switching over from the 'Sandie' thread, here are some scans of 'Moira, Slave Girl of Rome' and "Westward The Wagons" - both of which started out in IPC's 'pan-European' comic Tina then continued in the pages of Princess Tina until 1st March 1969 and 21st June 1969 respectively. According to one account IPC cancelled them because - quite incredibly - tough and resourceful heroines like Moira and Glory Gold were considered 'too unfeminine' for some countries! :shock:

Here's a Moira cover (something of a rarity for any of Princess Tina's interior characters), followed by the final panel of the series - prominently signed by artist Alberto Salinas:

...And just to show how much some artists altered their style depending on subject matter (and most probably their own interest in it), here's a scene from 'Super-Girl Sandra' - the rather lightweight series which replaced 'Moira' - where the signature is about the only thing still recognizable!

Finally, here's a sequence from "Westward The Wagons" where Jorge Moliterni's signature in the bottom left-hand corner confirms that he was indeed the artist for this excellent series:

- Phil Rushton

RuthB

Re: Princess Tina

Post by RuthB »

Class!

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

These are wonderful! Thanks loads Phil :D

Tough and resourceful heroines have always been my favourite sort of characters, even as a kid - and I think it's a massive shame that girls don't have access to these sorts of stories anymore!

Salinas' work is so beautifully detailed, I love it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Jane Bond was in Princess Tina and there is actually a woman in my organisation with that name - keep thinking of sending her a photocopied Jane Bond strip - anonymously just in case she has no sense of humour.

Now if I was a radio Five Live presenter i'd say "Listeners do you have the same name as a comic character? Text in your amusing replies on 85058. Is there a Roy Race in your family, an Alf Tupper in your local or a Winker Watson in your firm? We'd like to hear from you."

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

lol, was Winker Watson's real first name ever revealed? Nobody gets called Winker by their parents. It's quite possible that there'd be real people called Roy Race or Alf Tupper though.

Mikeodee

Post by Mikeodee »

Hi Phil,

Interesting to see these. Do you have the issue dated 23/05/70? I've recently bought two pages of art from this and would very much like to get hold of a copy of the title banner, I think it was called 'Life with Penny' or something like. Even better would be a copy of that issue if you have a spare or any idea where to get hold of one.
Thanks,
Mike

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hi Mike,

Oddly enough I acquired a lovely 'Jane Bond' page myself last weekend and am currently trying to decide where to display it. :)

I'm afraid I don't have a spare of the issue you want but I think this must be the title page you're referring to. As you can see the series was 'Penny On Her Own' rather than 'Life with Penny'.

I assume you already know that the 'Penny' in question is the very same Lady Penelope who used to drive around in a pink Rolls Royce in Gerry Anderson's 'Thunderbirds' (her own comic was merged with Princess Tina towards the end of 1969) - though the connection with International Rescue had already been dropped by this stage as IPC presumably didn't inherit the comic strip rights. You should be able to find a lot more about this strip and its artist Cyril Eidelstein (aka Frank Langford) on Shaqui's brilliant Gerry Anderson website:

http://www.technodelic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Home.htm

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Lady Penelope comic started off as a great companion to TV21 but later on was transformed into a pretty ordinary Girl's comic. Here is the cover of issue 196. She is still referred to as Penelope Creighton-Ward. Obviously this was before she became the IR London Agent.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Can anyone help with the "Wizard of Oz" strip from Princess Tina. Eg, how long it ran for, the artist, also was it drawn for Princess Tina, or was it reprinted from elsewhere.

Thankyou!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure it was an original adaptation, with full-colour art by Giorgio Trevisan.

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks Phil, that is a new artist for me. Any ideas on the date it started and the date it ended? I know it was running between sept 67, and nov 67 just dont know exact dates.

I have tried searching, without much luck.

Thanks again.

matrix

Post by matrix »

I just had a look at some Giorgio Trevisans work on the comic art fans site, could you add anything about his style Phil? Is it a very continental style? He did some lovely work on Sherlock Holmes I think for an Italian comic.

Thanks.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As far as I know I've only got the final episode, dated 6th January 1968. This is the way it ends (note the signature):

Can't say for sure but I'd guess the serialization began when Princess and Tina merged (23rd September 1967).

Trevisan drew lots of strips for British boys' and girls' comics in the 60s and 70s (including the Spider and an early run on Roy of the Rovers in Tiger) though in later years he concentrated more on fairy tales and literary adaptions. Incidentally, he was also responsible for 'The Secret Garden' which began in the following issue.

- Phil Rushton

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Oh Phil, you didn't put a 'SPOILER' alert and now I know how the Wizard of OZ ends :D

Seriously thank you so much for sharing Phil. I am amazed at how much UK comic knowledge is hidden away. Thank Al for this Forum
philcom55 wrote:As far as I know I've only got the final episode, dated 6th January 1968. This is the way it ends (note the signature):

Can't say for sure but I'd guess the serialization began when Princess and Tina merged (23rd September 1967).

Trevisan drew lots of strips for British boys' and girls' comics in the 60s and 70s (including the Spider and an early run on Roy of the Rovers in Tiger) though in later years he concentrated more on fairy tales and literary adaptions. Incidentally, he was also responsible for 'The Secret Garden' which began in the following issue.

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

standby4action wrote:Oh Phil, you didn't put a 'SPOILER' alert and now I know how the Wizard of OZ ends :D
Of course, L. Frank Baum wrote lots of sequels that you can look forward to. :)

Alternatively, my own favourite continuation of the Oz mythology occurs in the ongoing DC/Vertigo series Fables, with outstanding artwork by Britain's own Mark Buckingham (once a fellow member of the North Staffordshire Comics Society!).

- Phil Rushton