Why are men collecting old girls' comics these days?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

geoff42

Re: Why are men collecting old girls' comics these days?

Post by geoff42 »

Had Halo Jones appeared in the pages of Jinty or Misty (albeit in a milder form) would it have been appreciated as much by girls (I'm guessing, here) more than they went for it in the pages of 2000 ad? Surely some girls read Halo Jones at the time and thought: "Wow! This is exactly what I've been looking for!"

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think Alan Moore originally wanted Halo Jones to appear in a girls' comic, but settled for 2000AD as even the long-running Tammy was on its last legs by 1984.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Those bits about Halo Jones got me thinking:

I never got into 2000AD and never liked war stories or 2000's "guys, guns and guts" stuff.

It was by chance I came across Ms Jones - I saw an article about a stage play on it on Night Network in 1988; there also were some good comic stores where I was living at the time (in boring Oxford; all now long gone).

That led to me collecting the QC version of the comic in all 12 parts (as I later discovered these are not worth as much as I thoguht they were at all). I love dthe stories and for some reason I could relate to them and to Halo - was just a cioncidence it was a female lead, though like her I felt an underdog.

My life's journey jst have some parallels in a way that I relate to Halo Jones' journey:

The hoop at the start - I could relate that to boring Oxford where parents and I lived - a small town mentality place where you must conform or die - like be a drummer or else; and there were a lot of people like Toby living there - all cold and cynical. Nothing to do there; and I had spells of unemployment there (and later in Newcastle) too.

The second book - where Halo does on cruise ship - loke when I went to Sunderland as a mature student - with more downs than ups - hoping to make a new life away from Oxford - but with disappointment and a worthless degree at end which I never wanted (degree dole or death - my stark choice at start). . (I didn't even bother with the graduation;parents are a social embarressment too).

My wilderness years back living with parents - like Halo's drinking in nowhere.

Her becoming a soldier - like the escape route when I got work in Manchester - escape at last! - but I had to soldier and battle all sorts of system and change jobs a couple of times. And I came near to a breakdown wanting to harm people like Halo did after initial discahrge.

Halo becomming a slave - lik may have been intended in the un-published next part - was how I became with corporate firms I worked for - with unrealistic targets and pittance pay, whilst my peers just assumed I was on good money cos of where I'm from and having a degree.

The final published scene - where halo presses button to make tusked Luis Cannibal die- was like the painful moments I ended some friendships with epopel I thought were friends but realy weren't - and only saw me for what they assumed about me and wanted to see and hear, whilst not listening to my reality.

Where she blasts off at end of final published story head held high - my journey to what could - and touch wood so far is - a better life job and place to live (long may it continue).

Strange how some stories resonate in a sort of way.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Just going back to Marckie's comments:

I too notice the differences between IPC and DCT's girls' comics - I do prefer IPC's more innovative approaches. I don't kknow what it is but DCT's do seem a bit - bland and conservative, whilst IPC were more innovative.

DCT did improve a bit in the 80s, largely thanks to vacuuming up a lot of the artists largely discarded by IPC.

I too could never get into all these war comic stories and I had no interest in football and Forula 1 back in late 70s/early 80s child/teen hood - I'd be a late convert to these, but I cannot get into these strips as a collector - all seem a bit - too optimistic and 1 dimemsional for my liking.

With girls' comics you do get a good variety and stories that get you thinking.