Girl with a monocle

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Girl with a monocle

Post by philcom55 »

On the subject of comics maintaining a negative stereotype of monocle wearers it's worth pointing out that the Carstairs family seem to have been the exception that proved the rule. Thus we not only had the schoolgirl sleuth Jemima, but also the crimefighting toff Monty Carstairs whose adventures ran for several years in Mickey Mouse Weekly during the 1950s.

- Phil Rushton

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Here is a Billy Bunter appearance in the Tammy Bessie Bunter strip. Art by Cecil Orr.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

To be honest, this is the strip that I can remember seeing a girl with a monocle in. So I am glad to see the subject come full circle.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I'm just bumping up this 'Girl With A Monocle' thread in order to add a second contender, the Honourable Patricia D'Arcy. She was introduced in issue 1 of Girl on 2 November 1951 as the navigator in Kitty Hawke And Her All-Girl Air Crew. Last Friday I bought a bound volume of the first 52 issues of Girl at Border Bookshop in Todmorden, and when I started to read it this afternoon I immediately remembered our Jemima Carstairs discussion. I've no idea how popular the Honourable Patricia can have become since the serial only lasted for 21 issues before the colour cover strip was taken over by Wendy And Jinx In The Secret Of Manor School, a pair of intrepid schoolgirls whose many adventures would grace the cover for many years, but it is possible that she, rather than Jemima, is the character that Marionette originally enquired about.
Attachments
HonPatDar1.jpg