Looking for Bunty's The Imposter!

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Camille

Looking for Bunty's The Imposter!

Post by Camille »

Hello all,
I am looking for a copy of a Bunty comic called The Imposter about a victorian lady that switched places with her maid. Would anyone have a scanned copy of the cover (or the full thing?)? I've been looking all over online, including on ebay, but it proved difficult to find. Is there a full Bunty catalogue anywhere that would at least help me identify what year it came out?
Thanks in advance!

helsbels

Re: Looking for Bunty's The Imposter!

Post by helsbels »

There is a list of Bunty stories on http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2011/ ... ories-q-z/ , unfortunately no clue to the year the story started but I'm sure someone will know on that website.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

That story was in 1995. I do have a few episodes in my collection.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Okay, after checking my collection I can say The Imposter began in #1946 and ended in #1957. I also have #1950. 30th Century Comics has 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1955 and 1957.

Camille

Post by Camille »

Thank you very much! Does any of it exist in online form? Even a cover? I need it for the topic, but would like to see what artwork looks like as well.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

None of it exists online unless I make it myself. So here is the cover from the issue where The Impostor starts:

Last edited by Tammyfan on 10 Sep 2013, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

And here is the first episode. Art by Douglas Perry.

ImageImage

Last edited by Tammyfan on 10 Sep 2013, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

And so as not to leave you all dangling on how Harriet got her identity back, here is the last episode. Another Perry, Stop, Thief!, started in the next issue.

ImageImage

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

What rotten parents! Apart from the money I'm not sure I'd want to be welcomed back into the bosom of a family that couldn't even tell the difference between me and a scheming servant! :shock:

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:What rotten parents! Apart from the money I'm not sure I'd want to be welcomed back into the bosom of a family that couldn't even tell the difference between me and a scheming servant! :shock:

- Phil R.
But granny could tell the difference. Anyway, as the story developed, it became obvious that Hetty had been plotting this for a long time. She had been spending a long time monitoring Harriet and how she acted. Once Harriet realised this, she understood it would not be easy exposing her. So the parents might be forgiven for not seeing through it. Though they must have felt pretty stupid and guilty for not seeing through it.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 14 Sep 2013, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I must admit that the idea of losing one's identity seems to tap into a really primeval sense of fear - something that is reflected in countless folk tales about changelings and doppelgängers.

I can certainly see why it would have stuck in Camille's memory, and stayed with her over the years.

Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:I must admit that the idea of losing one's identity seems to tap into a really primeval sense of fear - something that is reflected in countless folk tales about changelings and doppelgängers.

I can certainly see why it would have stuck in Camille's memory, and stayed with her over the years.

Phil R.
Perhaps it's the reason I followed this story. A story with a similar theme was The Stranger in My Shoes from Tammy. Here, Lucy Townsend is kidnapped and her identity switched with delinquent Sandra Sage. The Sages' plan is that Lucy go to borstal in Sandra's place. But they don't count on Lucy breaking out to prove her identity. So we've got a fugitive theme as well (love it!)
Last edited by Tammyfan on 11 Sep 2013, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

There have been other stories where Victorian girls take the place of their maid for one reason or other. These include Daisy Drudge and Milady Maud (Jinty) and Sarah below Stairs (Judy). A variation is Victorian girls disguising themselves as servants, such as The Secret Servant (Bunty).

Camille

Post by Camille »

Tammyfan wrote:There have been other stories where Victorian girls take the place of their maid for one reason or other. These include Daisy Drudge and Milady Maud (Jinty) and Sarah below Stairs (Judy). A variation is Victorian girls disguising themselves as servants, such as The Secret Servant (Bunty).
Thank you very much, Tammyfan. Much appreciated! I didn't realise it was quite a subgenre. You wouldn't have any scans from either Daisy Drudge or Sarah below stairs by any stroke of luck?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Not sure about Sarah. I do have some Daisy Drudge.