Plea from a Bunty Reader

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Plea from a Bunty Reader

Post by colcool007 »

PLEASE someone help me! I am seriously doubting my own sanity. Back in the mid 60's in (I think) Bunty magazine there was a girl called Sheila Skeeler. She had a pair of amazing roller skates. I desperately wanted a pair and my poor mother searched everywhere and no one had heard of them. They finally appeared in the 80-s as inline skates, now rollerblades. By which time I was too old and unfit to have them :o(. Please can someone tell me I am not completely bonkers?
Someone has asked this from another site. Can anyone help?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Plea from a Bunty Reader

Post by Phoenix »

I can't be absolutely sure because I do have gaps in my collection which could house a serial, and my cataloguing isn't entirely up to date, but I just don't recall this character. In fact, I can only remember two serials in which the main character was a roller skater, Winnie On Wheels in Mandy (1970), and Roll-Along Roma in Mandy (1973), neither clearly the story being sought as they are both outside the seeker's time frame, and because Winnie Weston and Roma Peters are obviously not Sheila Skeeler. Tomorrow I will look through the uncatalogued sixties issues of Bunty that I have bought this year, but I am not confident of finding it. Does the seeker know the story title by any chance, as that would speed up the process considerably?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure your 'Bunty reader' is thinking of a slightly later Robert MacGillivray strip from Sally called 'Sheila's Skeelers'. Here's the way it began in the issue dated 4th July 1970:

- Phil Rushton

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Wait...who wins the race???
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I'm pretty sure your 'Bunty reader' is thinking of a slightly later Robert MacGillivray strip from Sally called 'Sheila's Skeelers'.
That has to be it. Well done, Phil, that's saved me an hour or two of searching tomorrow. I had a gut feeling it would be from one of the opposition's titles.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

You beat me to it, Philcom! Just got in and saw this post!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My impression of the original question is she's asking if the inline roller skates were actually on sale in the 1960s. I see the adverts all the time when I am flicking through 60s comics but can't put my hand on a specific issue right now. (I can say flicking can't I?)