D. C. Thomsons' Picture Story Libraries For Girls

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

D. C. Thomsons' Picture Story Libraries For Girls

Post by Phoenix »

Could somebody please tell me whether Debbie 183, Dorcas And The Dark Lady, is a repeat of Bunty 239 with the same title, or is a completely different story.

Given that my query can be answered almost with a Yes or a No, I have deliberately made the new topic as wide as possible so that it is usable for anyone else who wishes in future to talk about any aspect of the four Libraries.

Marionette

Re: D. C. Thomsons' Picture Story Libraries For Girls

Post by Marionette »

Given that they use the same cover art, I'd say the probability is very high that they are the same story.

The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

What were the publication dates for those two titles? I ask as if we go by the Commando prices then we are looking at 1982/83 for the Bunty and 1992/93 for the Debbie
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Marionette wrote:Given that they use the same cover art, I'd say the probability is very high that they are the same story.
Thanks, Marionette. I must admit it did seem a good bet. Now it looks like a cast-iron banker.
colcool007 wrote:What were the publication dates for those two titles? I ask as if we go by the Commando prices then we are looking at 1982/83 for the Bunty and 1992/93 for the Debbie
I can't answer the question, Colin. All the titles are helpfully listed in numerical order, give or take the odd spelling mistake, on the excellent Girls Comics Of Yesterday site, but they don't give issue dates.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Here's another, possibly slightly more left-field query. In terms of the story, is there any link between Spellbound's The Haunting Of Laura Lee and Judy P. S. L. 302 The Eyes Of Laura Lee, or is the use of the girl's name just a coincidence?

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Phoenix wrote:Here's another, possibly slightly more left-field query. In terms of the story, is there any link between Spellbound's The Haunting Of Laura Lee and Judy P. S. L. 302 The Eyes Of Laura Lee, or is the use of the girl's name just a coincidence?
The quick answer is no - they're two totally unrelated stories with identically named protagonists.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you for that information, Helen.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

colcool007 wrote:What were the publication dates for those two titles? I ask as if we go by the Commando prices then we are looking at 1982/83 for the Bunty and 1992/93 for the Debbie
So Commando's prices didn't match the Beano libraries? The first one, from 1982, is 20p. So I'd guess at 1981 for the Bunty, as it was 2p cheaper.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I don't have those exact issues but I have issues close to it, Bunty #245 is from 1983 (and the next issue had price rise from 18p to 20p) and Debbie #187 is from 1993 (and the next issue had a price rise to 50p)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I am currently putting together a smallish collection of titles from these libraries that are specifically related to popular series in the story papers themselves. I already have Luv, Lisa, Wee Slavey, Junior Nanny, The Shop At Shudder Corner, The Four Marys and Skinflint School, and I plan to bid later this week on Trixie's Treasure Chest. I am still looking for Penny's Place, Valda, The Comp, and Bobby Dazzler, plus any that feature Moira Kent and Lorna Drake, even where they are not mentioned in the titles. This brings me round to another request for help in connection with Dorcas and the Dark Lady. Given that Dorcas was the name of the old lady who brought Valda up, is Dorcas and the Dark Lady a story featuring Valda or not? To judge from the front cover I suspect it's not, but I do need to know. Also, if anybody knows any story about Lorna Drake or Moira Kent that doesn't have their name in the title, could they please give me the title(s) and issue number(s) so that I can track them down. Thank you in anticipation.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

These are the books I know of for Lorna Drake and Moira Kent:

Lorna Drake:
Lorna Drake and the Stowaway’s Secret – Bunty Picture Story Library #09
Lorna Drake – Ballerina Behind Bars - Bunty Picture Story Library #12
The Secret of the Doll’s House – Bunty Picture Story Library #40

Moira Kent
Moira Kent and the Disappearing Ballerinas – Bunty Picture Story Library #01
Moira Kent and The Missing Star – Bunty Picture Story Library #07
Please Find My Father! – Bunty Picture Story Library #14
Moira Kent and the Silent One – Bunty Picture Story Library #61

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Fantastic, peace. Thank you very much for that information.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I forgot one for Moira Kent

The Secret Ballet - Bunty Picture Story Library # 54

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:I forgot one for Moira Kent, The Secret Ballet - Bunty Picture Story Library # 54
Again, thank you.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:I am currently putting together a smallish collection of titles from these libraries that are specifically related to popular series in the story papers themselves. I already have Luv, Lisa, Wee Slavey, Junior Nanny, The Shop At Shudder Corner, The Four Marys and Skinflint School, and I plan to bid later this week on Trixie's Treasure Chest. I am still looking for Penny's Place, Valda, The Comp, and Bobby Dazzler, plus any that feature Moira Kent and Lorna Drake, even where they are not mentioned in the titles. This brings me round to another request for help in connection with Dorcas and the Dark Lady. Given that Dorcas was the name of the old lady who brought Valda up, is Dorcas and the Dark Lady a story featuring Valda or not? To judge from the front cover I suspect it's not, but I do need to know. Also, if anybody knows any story about Lorna Drake or Moira Kent that doesn't have their name in the title, could they please give me the title(s) and issue number(s) so that I can track them down. Thank you in anticipation.
Nope, no Valda in Dorcas and the Dark Lady. I bought a copy (not sure if I still have it) and I can tell you that it was lightyears from Valda. The dark lady was supposed to be a ghost who appeared to warn a family member of danger, and she appeared to a couple of girls who are taken from the workhouse by their relatives after being orphaned. But the relatives are up to something and, as you might have guessed, planning to kill them so they can grab their inheritance. Afterwards the ghost turns out to be a friend in costume trying to help them. Except for one thing - there was one sighting of the dark lady that cannot be explained in this manner....