Prison camps in girls' comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Prison camps in girls' comics

Post by Tammyfan »

Recently I have become intrigued by what stories in girls' comics featured prison camps of some sort. This theme is rare in girls' comics, and I am wondering how many there might actually be out there. So far I have noticed:

"Song of the Fir Tree" - Jinty (which actually has two Nazi camps: the one our protagonists are liberated from, and an abandoned one they encounter later in the story)
"Detestable Della" - Bunty (a Tenko-themed story with a Malaysian camp)
"The Camp on Candy Island" - Tammy (a holiday camp which draws parallels with a prison camp and does turn out to be a real prison)
(Title I do not remember) - Suzy (a story about a Tenko-style camp)
(Title I do not remember) - Girl, series 2 (a girl who is being coached by a young woman who turns out to be the ghost of a Nazi camp victim)
"Wendy at War" - Debbie (no camp per se, but does feature slave labourers under Nazi oppression)

Are there any others that you remember?

Marionette

Re: Prison camps in girls' comics

Post by Marionette »

Well there's Merry at Misery House in Jinty. That's set in an actual prison. And War Orphan Farm is effectively a prison camp.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:Well there's Merry at Misery House in Jinty. That's set in an actual prison. And War Orphan Farm is effectively a prison camp.
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me.

Sila

Post by Sila »

Another great story about prison camps is the "The Captives of Terror Island" in Sandie: a champion school hockey team had been made captives on Terror Island in the East, by Madame Soong, who was ruthlessly training them to win the Hockey Championships of Shangpor, a nearby country.
Another interesting story in Tammy was "Lights out for Lucinda" which was about a spoilt girl that was incidentally captured in a labour camp where the inhabitants (mothers with children) were brain washed to believe that the War II was not over, by a ruthless enterpreneur who exploited their hard work to produce products without paying any wages and sell them in the black market.
There is also another adventurous story in Tammy Annual 1980, "Swim for your life Sari", which is about a champion swimming team that was allured in an island by an old lady, former world swimming champion, that trained them ruthlessesly to cross the Atlantic. In the end it turned out that behind this action, it was the niece of that old lady, who did this deceipt in order to inherit her aunt's fortune after attempting to kill the latter in a deceptive effort to save allegedley the trapped girls..

Sila

Post by Sila »

Could anybody post the first episode of "camp on Candy's Island" for me please?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Sila wrote:Could anybody post the first episode of "camp on Candy's Island" for me please?
I think I've got it, but I'll have to dig it out.

Sila

Post by Sila »

Thanks in advance Tammyfan!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Sila

Post by Sila »

Τhanks!!