Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Kashgar
Guru
Posts: 2739
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 14:15

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Kashgar » 29 May 2016, 19:15

Hi Derek. I've managed to look at some of my early June comics and it turns out 'Kathy at Marvin Grange School' began in June No1 in 1961 and then ran right through into June and School Friend in 1965. So your examples could certainly date from 1963.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5308
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Phoenix » 29 May 2016, 20:13

Kashgar wrote:I've managed to look at some of my early June comics and it turns out 'Kathy at Marvin Grange School' began in June No1 in 1961 and then ran right through into June and School Friend in 1965.
So at what point did it drop the word School from the title?

User avatar
marckie73
Posts: 85
Joined: 17 Apr 2015, 00:01

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by marckie73 » 30 May 2016, 23:55

Phoenix wrote:So at what point did it drop the word School from the title?
From the 16th of March 1963 the word School was dropped from the title.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5308
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Phoenix » 31 May 2016, 01:00

Thank you, marckie.

Tammyfan
Posts: 1886
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Tammyfan » 04 Jul 2016, 08:20

Here is some more discussion of Princess: https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... ober-1983/

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5308
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Phoenix » 04 Jul 2016, 10:57

Tammyfan wrote:Here is some more discussion of Princess: https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... ober-1983/
I've added a few comments to that discussion this morning.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5166
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by philcom55 » 25 Jul 2016, 11:11

Tammyfan wrote:I know Princess reprinted "Stefa's Heart of Stone" and "Horse from the Sea" from Jinty, and "The Dream House" from Tammy.
Yesterday I managed to unearth a page of original Comos artwork for 'Horse from the Sea' (and saw at least one other page from the same story which still had the title logo attached).

Even more remarkably I also discovered a single page from Mike White's 'The Dream House' - the only surviving piece of original Tammy artwork I've heard of as yet! (according to the publisher's stamp it was page 30 of Tammy no.322 from 23rd April 1977). As speculated above these pieces only seem to have been preserved because of their subsequent reprinting in the second Princess. Though I didn't see any other Tammy pages it's nice to know that something at least still remains from such a significant title.

As a matter of interest does anybody know who wrote either of those serials?

Tammyfan
Posts: 1886
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Tammyfan » 25 Jul 2016, 11:42

philcom55 wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:I know Princess reprinted "Stefa's Heart of Stone" and "Horse from the Sea" from Jinty, and "The Dream House" from Tammy.
Yesterday I managed to unearth a page of original Comos artwork for 'Horse from the Sea' (and saw at least one other page from the same story which still had the title logo attached).

Even more remarkably I also discovered a single page from Mike White's 'The Dream House' - the only surviving piece of original Tammy artwork I've heard of as yet! (according to the publisher's stamp it was page 30 of Tammy no.322 from 23rd April 1977). As speculated above these pieces only seem to have been preserved because of their subsequent reprinting in the second Princess. Though I didn't see any other Tammy pages it's nice to know that something at least still remains from such a significant title.

As a matter of interest does anybody know who wrote either of those serials?
Sorry, no idea.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5166
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by philcom55 » 25 Jul 2016, 15:23

One nice thing about the 'Dream House' page is that, even though it's drawn on large board in a rather more traditional British style, the story wouldn't have seemed at all out of place in Misty which was launched the following year.

Image

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5166
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by philcom55 » 26 Jul 2016, 10:54

Hmmmm! Looking at 'Rowena of the Doves' I think I might have seen a page or two of that in Phil Clarke's storehouse as well, though at the time it didn't occur to me this was another Tammy strip that had been reprinted in Princess 2. The artwork is certainly unusual, if a little bit unsophisticated - does anyone recognize the artist responsible?
Attachments
910a0e50-d1d1-012f-e073-00505694738d.jpg

Tammyfan
Posts: 1886
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Tammyfan » 26 Jul 2016, 11:10

The artist is Peter Wilkes.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5166
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by philcom55 » 26 Jul 2016, 11:44

Thanks Tammyfan. After reading a couple of episodes I'm starting to wish I'd bought one of those pages as well now! Going by the 'Slaine-like' setting I can't help wondering if Pat Mills might have had a hand in the script.

User avatar
marckie73
Posts: 85
Joined: 17 Apr 2015, 00:01

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by marckie73 » 26 Jul 2016, 12:38

'Dream house' is a rather nice story, with a good comeuppance at the end. Great art, too.
'Rowena of the doves' I found uninteresting, even boring. It starts off okay, but drags on too much to my liking. I wonder if it was nevertheless popular at the time, and if that was the reason it was reprinted in Princess, or that they just had nothing else available, because the original artwork didn't exist anymore.

Tammyfan
Posts: 1886
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Tammyfan » 26 Jul 2016, 20:42

marckie73 wrote:'Dream house' is a rather nice story, with a good comeuppance at the end. Great art, too.
'Rowena of the doves' I found uninteresting, even boring. It starts off okay, but drags on too much to my liking. I wonder if it was nevertheless popular at the time, and if that was the reason it was reprinted in Princess, or that they just had nothing else available, because the original artwork didn't exist anymore.
Rowena must have been popular because she had a sequel in Tammy. The Dream House did have a good ending, but not on a guarantee the villainess will stay put in her little prison and not be unleashed again. Which made it an even better ending, worthy of Misty.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5166
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by philcom55 » 27 Jul 2016, 19:27

Wasn't Rowena based on an existing character from Celtic mythology?

Post Reply