Query about a story with 13 girls

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Query about a story with 13 girls

Post by Tammyfan »

At Girls Comics of Yesterday we have had another plea for help in finding a story. Here are the details:

"13 identical girls with long straight dark hair lived with different adoptive families (unknown to each other) and when they turned 13 they were all collected by a mysterious couple with a van. The girls were all dressed in white robes and all then morphed into one alien supreme being who looked like a more grown up version of themselves. And it ended with the supreme beings image appearing in her adopted sisters mirror to reassure her she was ok." The correspondent believes it was a hand drawn serial and may be about the 1984-85 mark.

We have ruled out Tammy, Jinty, Misty and Spellbound, and it's not something our authorities on DCT girls comics can identify either.

Can anyone help?

helsbels

Re: Query about a story with 13 girls

Post by helsbels »

Tammyfan wrote:At Girls Comics of Yesterday we have had another plea for help in finding a story. Here are the details:

"13 identical girls with long straight dark hair lived with different adoptive families (unknown to each other) and when they turned 13 they were all collected by a mysterious couple with a van. The girls were all dressed in white robes and all then morphed into one alien supreme being who looked like a more grown up version of themselves. And it ended with the supreme beings image appearing in her adopted sisters mirror to reassure her she was ok." The correspondent believes it was a hand drawn serial and may be about the 1984-85 mark.

We have ruled out Tammy, Jinty, Misty and Spellbound, and it's not something our authorities on DCT girls comics can identify either.

Can anyone help?

Hi Briony - that sounds like a story from Girl (series 2) comic. I can't remember the title offhand, but I'll get back to you.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Briony - yes, the story was in Girl - called 13th Birthday Mystery.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

I've posted a comment about it on the Girl's Comics Of Yesterday query thread.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you so much Helsbels!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I read that story when it came out - it is quite memorable. Nicely drawn too. Can you identify the artist, helsbels?
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

comixminx wrote:I read that story when it came out - it is quite memorable. Nicely drawn too. Can you identify the artist, helsbels?

I'm not sure who the artist is, but they drew a few stories for Girl. Do you need a scan on here?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

helsbels wrote:
comixminx wrote:I read that story when it came out - it is quite memorable. Nicely drawn too. Can you identify the artist, helsbels?

I'm not sure who the artist is, but they drew a few stories for Girl. Do you need a scan on here?
Yes, a scan would help us with the artist. And I am curious to have a glimpse of this story. So if you can post a scan, it would be great.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

The final episode.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you, Helsbels. Hmm, Santiago Hernandez or Purita Campos? I think it's Hernandez, but what do others think?
Last edited by Tammyfan on 17 Jan 2018, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

I thought Hernandez might be the most likely, but I'm not 100% sure.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I'm going for Hernandez myself. Thanks so much for the scan, it was great to see it again! It's rather a good ending, with the alien still having human feelings but being bound for the stars and a greater destiny.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Does anyone have the issue numbers and dates 13th Birthday Mystery appeared in?

Thanks.

Helen Fay

Post by Helen Fay »

Tammyfan I think the answer to that is on the Girls Comics of Yesterday site under that particular thread. I think I mentioned when the first and last episodes were - I'd have to check there or on my scans.