Issue 1

From the ashes of the DFC rises... the Phoenix.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Issue 1

Post by Phoenix »

swirlythingy wrote:* I refer of course to the comic in the title of this forum and not to the esteemed poster above, who I assume was able to source somewhat more satisfactory accommodation during his recent trip to our overprivileged city.
Two nights in a flat in Putney with my son, Andrew, his partner and their (our) baby, Sunday night in the Premier Inn at Putney Bridge. It was a perfect visit to London in my opinion - a. get in, b. do what you've gone there for as quickly as possible, c. get out.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

While we are all mulling over the appropriateness of the syllable Wait in Waitrose, I can report a possible explanation for the recent and current non-appearance on the shelves of this much-anticipated comic. I quote from the welcome email I received last night from The Phoenix itself, which would appear to shed some light on the matter. We hope you enjoy your free issue of The Phoenix and your subscription will commence with issue 1 which is on sale 7th January 2011. So there you have it in a nutshell. No wonder we can't find it, it actually came out this time twelve months ago. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ha, someone needs to buy a new calendar! :)

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Avoiding Waitrosegate entirely my girlfriend has just bought me a Phoenix 3 month subscription for my birthday. So I shall be looking forward to issue one dropping through my box any day soon! :)

A new British weekly - Huzzah! (I think that's what the young folk say now).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

More info cross posted from Sweatdrop. This was an email sent to somebody who asked the subscription department about the shop distribution
The delay is due to Waitrose setting up The Phoenix as a supplier, as Ben says not a huge delay considering how quickly the deal was set up, but not fast enough for us ideally. We are all set up, ready and champing at the bit to go and send off the comics from our distribution centre - we are just waiting on the green light from Waitrose.

Fingers crossed it won't be long. Rest assured though that ALL issues of The Phoenix including issue 1 will be stocked

As an aside Tales on Moon Lane (London) are stocking the comic as well as The Book House in Thame and Summertown (Oxford). I am negotiating with a number of other independent stores at the moment too, so it will be available to buy elsewhere too.
So it will be on sale soon! If everybody's not already subscribed by then XD

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Bah, looks like the first issue you can sub from is now issue 3...

(I know, I've had months to subscribe, it's my fault!)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No back issues?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

That can't be right surely...
I was sure it would be in every Waitrose so I just persumed it would..never dreamed this would happen..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:More info cross posted from Sweatdrop. This was an email sent to somebody who asked the subscription department about the shop distribution
The delay is due to Waitrose setting up The Phoenix as a supplier, as Ben says not a huge delay considering how quickly the deal was set up, but not fast enough for us ideally. We are all set up, ready and champing at the bit to go and send off the comics from our distribution centre - we are just waiting on the green light from Waitrose.

Fingers crossed it won't be long. Rest assured though that ALL issues of The Phoenix including issue 1 will be stocked

As an aside Tales on Moon Lane (London) are stocking the comic as well as The Book House in Thame and Summertown (Oxford). I am negotiating with a number of other independent stores at the moment too, so it will be available to buy elsewhere too.
So it will be on sale soon! If everybody's not already subscribed by then XD

You know, it would have saved people a lot of disappointment/shoe leather/petrol, and gained the publisher kudos, if the Phoenix had simply put that information on their website last week.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Digifiend wrote:No back issues?
Not that I could see. Hopefully they'll be offered soon. Failing that, there's always Waitrose (eventually!).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

PaulTwist wrote:Bah, looks like the first issue you can sub from is now issue 3
Stingray wrote:Avoiding Waitrosegate entirely my girlfriend has just bought me a Phoenix 3 month subscription for my birthday. So I shall be looking forward to issue one dropping through my box any day soon! :)
The optimism and pessimism in the the two quotes above are unduly pessimistic and optimistic in turn, as Paul and Stingray will see below. This morning I received the first issue of my five-issue subscription but, horror of horrors, it was issue 2. I had taken out my subscription on Tuesday January 10th so, given that issue 1 was at that point the most recent issue, I had assumed that I would get that one, especially as it had said just that in the Welcome to The Phoenix email they had sent me. While I was pleased that it had only taken them three days from order to delivery, those people who know me well enough to be aware that I am a completist and that therefore all the comic titles in my collection start at issue 1, will be able to tell you roughly where I was on the apoplexy scale at that moment, and what I did next. No, I didn't lose it, I simply picked up the phone and rang the contact number on the rear cover. In a calm and polite manner I explained the problem to the girl who took my call. She explained that my subscription started with issue two, despite the fact that it isn't even now January 14th, its date of issue, but she went on to assure me that I would get the next four issues (3 to 6) to complete my subscription. When I pointed out to her that her email had stated that my subscription would start with issue 1, she said that if I wanted to, I could get it in Waitrose or I could purchase it there and then for £2.99. I paid for it. It will be with me in seven to ten days apparently, so I will have to wait until then to read issue 2.

I did then ask her what she knew about the fact that the comic wasn't available in any branch of Waitrose, and she was genuinely surprised. She said that, as far as she was aware, selling it through Waitrose was a major part of the marketing strategy, or words to that effect. She also confirmed that, as yet, it wasn't going to be sold through any outlets other than Waitrose. As obviously no aspect of my problem was her fault, I asked her for, and was freely given, the phone number of the company's main office. I rang them to ask about the Waitrose problem at 12.10, 1.00 and 1.45. Nobody picked up the phone, and there is no ansafone facility. I will try again at intervals throughout the afternoon, and again next week, in case they have already popped off for an early weekend. Needless to say, I will post any clarification from them on this thread.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks for all your efforts...

I think all of us are very surprised to see what has happened to you..

Lets hope it does appear in Waitrose.it will be a big relief..

Raven

Post by Raven »

Phoenix wrote: This morning I received the first issue of my five-issue subscription but, horror of horrors, it was issue 2. I had taken out my subscription on Tuesday January 10th so, given that issue 1 was at that point the most recent issue, I had assumed that I would get that one, especially as it had said just that in the Welcome to The Phoenix email they had sent me. While I was pleased that it had only taken them three days from order to delivery, those people who know me well enough to be aware that I am a completist and that therefore all the comic titles in my collection start at issue 1, will be able to tell you roughly where I was on the apoplexy scale at that moment, and what I did next. No, I didn't lose it, I simply picked up the phone and rang the contact number on the rear cover. In a calm and polite manner I explained the problem to the girl who took my call. She explained that my subscription started with issue two, despite the fact that it isn't even now January 14th, its date of issue, but she went on to assure me that I would get the next four issues (3 to 6) to complete my subscription. When I pointed out to her that her email had stated that my subscription would start with issue 1, she said that if I wanted to, I could get it in Waitrose or I could purchase it there and then for £2.99. I paid for it. It will be with me in seven to ten days apparently, so I will have to wait until then to read issue 2.

I ordered a subscription on Monday 9th, choosing Issue One from the drop down menu as the issue I wanted my sub to start with. My first issue came today - and it was issue 2.

I emailed about it this morning and had a prompt reply saying "I have checked your account and your subscription is due to start with issue number 2." I replied before noon explaining that I'd chosen and paid for a subscription beginning with issue 1 and didn't expect to pay extra at this point, returning their original email to me, which said "and your subscription will commence with issue 1 which is on sale 7th January 2011" as proof. I've had no reply to that.

I'm not very pleased!
Last edited by Raven on 15 Jan 2012, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I just got issue 2 as my first sub issue too! (And no binder yet, does that come at the end I wonder?). I'll check Waitrose again on Saturday or make a phone call on Monday.

Hopefully the kinks will be ironed out and it will reach the shelves some time next week. Also hopefully the shop version will be 'offset' a week from the subscription version... so that people who have subscribed can shout spoilers at people until they do too :twisted:

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Follow their tweets here

http://twitter.com/phoenixcomicuk

(some of which do talk about where it is / isn't available)

Major marketing campaign in Waitrose weekend 'newspaper' followed by sample in last Saturday's Times followed by inability to buy comic in Waitrose...Daft I call it!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/