I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Post by Digifiend »

alanultron5 wrote:He continued by saying that though he could not give away advance news of the comics stories, that if I could remain a loyal reader that I just may be rewarded! he could not elaborate further on that. I felt with that reply, that maybe I. Spy had a chance!
Things have changed nowadays then - I understand Beano Club members sometimes receive advance notice of new strips and the like. Not always though, as the newsletters are only quarterly.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Hallo Digifiend! Nice to have you on this thread. It's been Rab (ISpyshhhguy) and I for a bit on here! Yes! I got a couple of replies from Sparky office in 1970; to my two letters regarding I. Spy series.

I am certain now that many other readers wrote asking about fate of I.Spy. It must have been a delicate balance to keep for Editor and staff! On the one hand, they didn't want to break the suspence of I.Spy's fate. Conversly-if they gave readers no hope, readers who are big I.Spy fans might cease reading comic altogether!

I never threatened not reading Sparky in my letter to Editor, but he must have worried on that point by virtually begging me to stay with the comic! Sparky never enjoyed the sales of Beano & Dandy in 1970 and any possibility of alienating loyal followers of a strip such as I.Spy, would be commercial suicide! Hence the tone of the reply sent to me.
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Before you came on the scene, Alan, I was the only writer on this theme [usually]----I still persevered though!

I still bought SPARKY after the first series of I SPY finished in 1970. It was still a good comic that still stands up today, but loss of my favourite strip was a glaring loss for the 5 months or so it was 'out of action'.

okay, now at last I will begin my listing of the LES BARTON I SPY episodes , starting with the 14 one-page 'novelty' strips of the early days:

above: the very first page.

the one-page strips are a lot less developed or plot-heavy than the later serials: however, they are entertaining and inventive in their own right, and as brilliantly stylish as anything in the series. These strips are fairly close in format to MAD'S spy vs spy which was possibly an inspiration. The storylines of these early works are very silly and deliberately light-hearted, though the silliest-ever I SPY story is more than likely the TARTAN TERROR of the later extended serials.

issue 211 [1 FEB, 1969]: the series' debut is a a villain-free outing, with no special 'secret devices' either, but it is established that I SPY can 'escape' his still-standing suit.

issue 212: [ 8 FEB] the first villain is HOOTS McBAGPIPE, who----unlike later world-dominating plots by MR X, MASTERMIND and others, ----is content simply to lob a haggis at our hero!

issue 213: 15 Feb]: I SPY is under seige from a group of deadly assassins, whom he polishes off with ease. A very MAD MAGAZINE-like final frame.

issue 214 [22 FEB]: the first appearance of SLINKY SNITCHOVITCH: a modest outing involving a crucial Christmas pudding recipe ; this story also features TINY TIM.

issue 215: [1 MARCH]: the first in the private army-themed stories [this story is centred in Shadysocks Mansion] which was a regular feature of the early days.

issue 216: [8 March]: only 6 weeks into the series, and a two-parter already! Mud Mansion sinister-goings on are afoot, and here I SPY encounters martial arts expert KARATE CHIP for the first time.

issue 217: [15 March]: part 2 from last week; here we are introduced to a major new villain: the incredible MR X who would emerge as the most infamous villain in the series.

issue 218: [22 March]: oriental spy KARATE CHIP returns in a 'standalone' episode: this is the final self-contained one-page I SPY story; only 6 of these one-offs were ever turned out.

issues 219-221 : the squadron of SUPER IRONS[29 March-12 April]: a more ambitious, 3-page 'MINI-EPIC' as the series starts introducing proper cliffhangers, with dramatic continued-next-week chapter conclusions. A suitably comic finale, however, with MR X revealed to be steering a 'super-iron'.

issues 222-224 [19 April-3 May 1969]: the Extra-Sticky toffee mystery, aka the super-sticky toffee affair: the final one-pagers are spread out over a fine 3-part quasi-epic featuring more private army cavortings; episode 2 in particular is very well-executed.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

There is a lovely innocence to those early stories! I rate them higher than most of the colour 1972 series (which commenced 11 Dec 71). The debut of Mr X in eps six and seven was a pivotal point in the strip! He was the first true adversary for I. Spy and heralded the move toward more complex stoylines.

It is weird seeing `early` Boss! He hardy featured in those first 14 issues! The long running "My nane is BERT!!" joke was a bit overused-but it gave Boss a sympathetic personna!

I. Spy's inner gadgets don't really get an `airing` till ep three! It must have been an awkward balancing act in not making him a carbon copy of Pow comics `Cloak`.

Of the early villians, only Mr X really makes a mark-but this would soon chage! It must have become quickly apparrent to the creators that the I. Spy strip would benefit by interesting villians!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

DC THOMSON never seemed to bother looking at what rival comic publishers were putting out: I remember seeing kid's copies of well-known characters from IPC logos appearing in the SPARKY letters page! I do accept that PETER CLARK or LES BARTON [or even IAN CHISOLM] may have seen 'POW!', though, as my earliest impression of I SPY was: 'h'mmmm.....this reminds me a bit of the CLOAK!

It took off in it's own direction however, and after a while it was clear that this was no carbon-copy.

THE LES BARTON ' I SPY' serials:

I SPY was pretty unusual, in that the early one-page format was strong enough to sustain a formula that could have theoretically run for years [which was often the case with D C THOMSON]. What elevated this strip out of the 'ordinary' was it's constant evolution, and while the central character remained fully recognizable, the situations and fantasy-world he inhabited had an ever-changing backdrop, with the stories continually throwing up new avenues and themes to explore.

The first two 'epics' in particular were ambitiously-mounted , forever exploring uncharted territory. From the very outset, it was clear that the scripting of the serials were propelling the potential of this very inventive character ever-onwards; and a set of superior villains provided the perfect foil as the strip enters the realm of 'adventure'.

SERIAL ONE: I SPY versus the Incredible Mr X;

eight parts, SPARKY comic, issues 225-232, 10 May-28 June, 1969.

the opening serial is a tour de force of relentless slapstick and surrealistic 'phantassie'.Mr X constructs a robotic double of I SPY and frames our hero......who is accused of dastardly acts carried out by his doppelganger. I SPY escapes MR X'S gothic lair, and tracks down and defeats his robotic opposite......MR X retaliates with no less than a dozen metallic I SPYS, and----in the serial's finest chapter, [episode 5] there is a breathtaking showdown between the shhh! guy and his opponents. Surviving a MEGA-BLAST and pursuing MR X, I SPY neutralizes this world-beating threat, but MR X unleashes his trump-card: the towering SUPERSPY which is defeated at the climax by typical I SPY cunning.

My own personal favourite in the series [in fact my favourite comic-story of all time!] Not every fan agrees with my assessment however, but for escalating thrills and inventive, spiralling spy-thrills, this story is worth it's weight in gold, with the full range of I SPY'S gadgetry unleashed to full comic effect. indespensible!

cliffhangers: 1] MR X's 'super-eagle' flies off with SPY HQ. 2] BOSS puts out the SOS to arrest I SPY. 3] I SPY escapes the interrigation room. 4] MR X and 12 robotic I SPYS storm SPY HQ. 5] I SPY is apparantly blasted to kingdom come by his dozen doppelgangers. 6] MR X unleashes 'SUPERSPY' 7] I SPY is manacled aboard the mighty robot. final chapter 8: I SPY deserts MR X and the decimated SUPERSPY, and bounces off---hiccupping----into the distance.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The first big Mr X story holds many good memories for me too! It was great to have a `returning` formidible villian. He was a truly great adversary for I. Spy! The visuals in this story are superb! Particulary `Super Spy`.

This story most definatly elevated the I. Spy strip to premier status in the comic! One cannot know the exact amount of popularity for all Sparky strips-but I bet my bottom dollar that by mid 1969 I. Spy was easily in the top three readers favourites!

It was my favourite up to the `Mr Tempest` story. There doesn't seem to be a real plot development early on e.g Mr X jumping out of a manhole and threatening I. Spy! He also only decides to build his replica I. Spy's by chance thought rather than pre-determined plan. But! I was 14 yrs old in most of 1969 and looking for more `plot-driven` stories! Had I been 7 to 8 as with Rab, this story would most likely be my all time fave rave too!! :D :D

Now! here's a test of true I. Spy / Mr X on the anorakometer. With this eight parter, Mr X has changed a particular personal habit of his a little (Don't worry, It's not rude! :o ) What is he doing differently? One weeks all paid expences to North Korea to the winning entry! Runners up - two weeks in North K!. :lol: :lol:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

you've stumped me on that one, Alan....is it to do with his smoking his cigar? Don't tell me just yet, though....I'll try and work it out!

SERIAL TWO: I SPY and the FANTASMAJOR DIAMOND HUNT.

SPARKYcomic, issues 233-240 [5 July- 23 August, 1969; eight parts.

The second serial is another sweeping epic, that centres around a chase between I SPY, BOSS and oriental bad 'un MAHAIREE YOGI, who has stolen a map that gives the desired location to a 10-foot tall diamond, which has the power to cut through mountains. An extended chase-sequence through an ever-changing, exotic backdrop marks this one out as quite a departure from the usual UK-bound stories. Gripping highlights include I SPY and his chums inside a flooded bottle prison, the vast ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN they encounter, man-eating plants and soforth. The story doesn't gel quite as well as the well-paced debut outing, this is more episodic with most instalments cast against a unique backdrop. Great comic relief from MAHAIREE'S elephant, 'RUMBLE' in the early episodes, also YOGI'S animated beard provides a typically original slant to much of the anarchic proceedings. An impressive, ambitious undertaking that deseves the description EPIC.

cliffhangers: 1] MAHAIREE and his elephant charge I SPY. 2] MAHAIREE threatens to drop the captive BOSS from a great height. 3] I SPY and BOSS plummet into a vast bottle-prison. 4] Our heroes enter a dense tropical jungle/ YOGI plans his escape from his concrete 'tomb'. 5] MAHAIREE tied up in knots by his vast beard. 6] the ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN sadistically play with a terrified MAHAIREE. 7] MAHAIREE finally gets his greasy paws on the DIAMOND. final episode 8 sees a weeping YOGI lamenting the loss of his animated beard, which has been dramatically shortened by I SPY.

SERIAL 3: I SPY versus AYE Mc SPY the TARTAN TERROR:

SPARKY issues 241-246 30 August-4 October, 1969. six episodes.

MR X has been spotted in Scotland, so I SPY decides to holiday with BOSS north of the border, in the hope of keeping an eye out for trouble. Trouble arrives in the shape of the hostile AYE Mc SPY, a caledonian throwback utterly lacking in refinement. Mc SPY has discovered a home-made herbal porridge recipe that has the power to paralyze people for extended periods; and using this method,he has assembled a mounted collection of lethal spies: MR X, MAHAIREE YOGI, SLINKY SNITCHOVITCH and KARATE CHIP......I SPY and BOSS are next on the list! MR X recovers and escapes with the world-conquering porridge, as do the other exotic spies later on. A suitably comic slapstick tableux at the climax . This is the most loonily-effective entry, with an almost GOONS-like manic ambience. Highly effective and entertaining, if not quite as ambitious as the last two entries. Great gloomy, gothic imagery of the spies in suspended animation, as seen in eerie torchlight. A fantastic one-off, wholly unique and untypical.

cliffhangers: 1] Mc SPY roars off into the distance, swearing revenge. 2] I SPY and BOSS encounter an eerie gallery of their most deadly adverseries 3] Mc SPY pummels I SPY into the ground agressively. 4] I SPY and Mc SPY blast off into the sky, in pursuit of MR X. 5] MAHAIREE, SLINKY and KARATE CHIP escape with the secret porridge recipe via magic flying-carpet. final episode 6 has I SPY dragging stiff-as -a-board BOSS back home, as he departs Scotland on friendly terms with Mc SPY.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

You're on the right track Rab! Look very closely at X' smoking habit! There is a difference after `Super Irons` Here's another one high up on the old Anorakometer! Who-is the `ONLY` Villian (I stress `VILLIAN`) `NOT` to make any sort of second appearance in the Les Barton series? Just the one!!

I will post a Ultron5 -I.Spy season 1969/70 awards list after your last summary! Mixture of my personal views and guessing what Sparky/ I.Spy fans might favour!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

That first big Mr X story was very much a turning point for the I.Spy series! It started the move towards more integrated plots, particulary towards the latter part of the season. That first eight parter was, I feel` superior to any `Cloak` story.

The Cloak was an enjoyable series but the storylines rarely got anywhere involved! One detriment to the Cloak outing was those `asides` by Cloak and other characters referring to the actual strip itself! never liked that at all! Thankfully, I. Spy series never went down that fraught avenue. I.Spy did once refer to another Sparky character (Invisible Dick) in ep 2 of "Fantasmagorian" story. Thankfully, it was a one-off aberration!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the LES BARTON-era villain that never reappeared; initially I thought this could be AYE McSPY.....but he ended up as an ALLIE......the only other one I can think of is episode 2 debut villain HOOTS Mc BAGPIPIES [as illustrated on this page].

SERIAL 4: I SPY and his T-T-TERRIBLE GRANNY

SPARKY comic issues 247-251 . 11 OCT-8 NOV, 1969. five instalments.

I am a biased I SPY fan, and my original intention to give this recap listing a 5-star [*****] rating system would have been meaningless. However, in this case, four stars are awarded, as the early parts of the story really don't go anywhere, at least not in comparison to the top-quality scripting of the remainder of the debut series.

In this one, CAMMY FLAGE---the disguise expert----is believed to have snaffled a security pass than can enable him to access a lethal weapon, the SUPERTANK. Unknown to everyone, the pass is hidden in the mini-jungle of I SPY'S GRANNY'S archaic hat! Overt slapstick and not-much-I SPY-devices early on demote this to somewhat routine, below-par territory, but all is not lost: the visuals are as vital and impressive as ever, with a marked turn in direction, as the artwork is condensed into smaller rows of panels [5 rows per page].

Saving graces include a vintage spy-car with 'shells-a-blazing' capabilities, and an all-out war-like finale. Not nearly as impressive as other tales in the series, this still had potential; in fact it was reworked of sorts as I SPY and the FANTASMAGORIAN with MR X.

cliffhangers: 1] GRANNY orders I SPY and BOSS to clean up SPY HQ, 2] the 4 main characters are k-od ---almost---after a collision in the vintage car in a quarry. 3] Cammy escapes with the security pass after fooling GRANNY, 4] a thrilling showdown between CAMMY'S stolen SUPERTANK and the ancient spy-jallopy. 5]GRANNY roars of into the distance with the convenient SUPERTANK.

SERIAL 5: I SPY versus MISTER TEMPEST:

SPARKY issues 252-256, 5 chapters, 15 NOV-13 dec, 1969.

Extreme distortions of localized weather are wreaking havoc as MR TEMPEST unleashes his portable weather-machine to devastating effect, conjuring up mighty whirlwinds, eartquakes and the like not seen in BRITAIN for many thousands of years. TEMPEST needs vast quantities of GOLD BULLION to block out the sun via a powerful machine he has devised; the earlier gag-setups convey his attempts to decimate banks with adverse weather-conditions are whipped up via his ingenious, hand-held machine. TEMPEST actually blocks the sun out in the finale [set in his inner-mountain lair] but I SPY fiddles about with his opponent's machine to the point where the SUN reappears in response to the weather-chaos created on Earth.

Excellent, anarchic imagery throughout, with a driving, fast-moving script that is chock-a-block with spectacle. Almost JAMES BOND-like in some respects, the story potential in this tale is fully-realized, enabling I SPY to utilize many of his more ingenious devices. Brilliant, spectacular imagery throughout; don't miss this one!

cliffhangers: 1] I SPY and BOSS are in the grip of a perilous whirlwind. 2] Tempest decimates SPY HQ with a gale-force hurricane. 3]again, Tempest directs a whirlwind towards an articulated lorry containing the UK'S gold reserves. 4] I SPY puzzingly starts drawing on a blow-up photo of a cave-scene as TEMPEST'S men are in hot pursuit. 5] TEMPEST'S volcanic lair erupts into lava, as the sun reappears following TEMPEST'S evil-doing.

Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 05 Jun 2009, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes! Rab! Hoots McBagpipe was the only `one-off` villian! You correctly divined that Aye McSpy wasn't really a villian-just misguided! Regarding Mr X` From the eight parter onward, he utilised a `holder` before that he just shoved a `stogie` in his orafice! (Mouth!).

For me, the `T.T. Terrible Granny` is the least strong of the run. Not that it's poor, just not as good as the other longer stories! The Tempest story really thrilled me back in late 69! It became my favourite I. Spy story to that date! Looking at it now-it cries out for the three page and larger panels! Now-it seems very compressed indeed-a shame!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the 'compressed' artwork from this period will be discussed on this very posting, Alan:

SERIAL SIX: I SPY and the FANTAS-MAGORIAN. SPARKY issues 257-260 [four chapters] 20 DEC, 1970-10 jan, 1970.

The FANTAS-MAGORIAN was an mighty, 100-foot-high all-out war machine, capable of taking on the entire world [indeed, it made mincemeat of HM FORCES in next to no time]. GRANNY SPY unwittingly delivers MR X'S bomb to SPY HQ, and the chaos created enables the top-hatted vagabond to access the plans for the mighty machine.
Assembling a kidnapped consortium of egghead boffins, MR X flees to the sanctuary of a vast underground factory he has secretly constructed, and unleashes his terror-machine on the world one month after disappearing. The second-half of this fine, compact tale depicts I SPY, BOSS and GRANNY taking on impossible odds, with the shhh! guy ultimately defeating MR X'S powerful war-weapon by unleashing a vast volcanic eruption from the centre of the earth.

Essentially a re-run of T-T--TERRIBLE GRANNY but with a sharper script and a top-drawer villain. The artwork was by this stage ever-compressed, with 5 rows of panels often becoming standard,-----there was no room for such intruiging premises of interior shots of MR X'S secret factory, or even interior shots of him helming the FANTAS-MAGORIAN! so following this, the decision was taken to expand the format into a 3-page offering.

cliffhangers: 1] MR X sets up a false doorway entrance trap for the unsuspecting boffins. 2] MR X emerges triumphantly from his underground base, helming the terrifying FANTAS-MAGORIAN. 3] The mighty machine re-erupts from I SPY'S .nuclear-eartquake' trap. final panel in ep 4 sees GRANNY constructing a 'motorbike' from the remnants of the MAGORIAN'S cogs.

SERIAL SEVEN: I SPY and the AMAZING MASTERMIND MACHINES:

SPARKY issues 261-266 --six chapters----17 JAN-21 FEB, 1970.

Now happily expanded into the celebrated 3-page format, which benefitted the strip greatly, offering impressive 'splash' panels of the MARVEL variety on the opening page. The icing in the cake is the debut appearance of a major new villain, MR MASTERMIND, a filthy-rich inventor [of the evil genius variety] who has designs on world domination. A strikingly-designed character, --quite different from the other, mostly exotic key villains-----this story healthily steers into new directions, with MASTERMIND'S evil conglomorate of innocent-looking slot machines revealing their inner-warfare mechanisms inside, and taking on the world in their inventors' quest for nothing less than global domination.

MASTERMIND somewhat unusually pulls off 'the big one' in this story: that is, he actually achieves his aim of taking over the planet after unleashing WW3. At his 'king-of-the-world' 'crowning' ceremony, he is interrupted by I SPY, who makes a mockery of the sombre pomp and ceremony.

A definate highlight within the series, and a crucial new chapter in the series' history.

cliffhangers: 1] BOSS is assaulted by one of MASTERMIND'S robotic coffee-machines, 2] I SPY is apparantly killed by a deadly coffee-dispenser. 3] I SPY shot down out of the skies by machine-gun toting petrol-pumps. 4] MASTERMIND flips, prematurely launching OPERATION TAKEOVER. 5] I SPY and BOSS arrive at MASTERMINDS' towerblock empire, just as the madman is about be 'crowned'. 6] BOSS is bob-bob-bobbing about in the sea outside.

[/i]

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I loved the move to three pages, it really allowed the series to flourish.

Up to this point, I, like Rab and many I. Spy fans had viewed Mr X as `top villian` of the series. But with the debut of Mastermind, I, personally found him my favourite (And wrote to the comic saying so) He was soon to truly rival Mr X in the all time I. Spy villiany league!

This story saw quite an improvement (to me) in the plotting! It was the kind of story that was right to my taste.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SERIAL 8: 'the strip with no name ' aka 'I SPY and the Baffling MR X Mystery.' SPARKY numbers 267-273 : 28 FEB-11 APRIL, 1970. seven chapters.

MR X ----along with ROMANY JONES and DOC VON ZISTER----escapes from jail via newly-acquired 'magical powers' which enable him to control events from afar by some mysterious, invisible superhuman force. He can even halt I SPY'S shellfire at will, and cause tanks and cannon to turn against each other. The seemingly unstoppable villain [after luring I SPY into a bomb-trap] succeeds in becoming the new Prime Minister of Britain, and, on discovering I SPY is still at large, orders his newly-minted Terror Army to wipe out SPY HQ. I SPY survives this onslaught, and also solves the key to MR X's powers: a vast army of super-strength fleas that are controlled electronically! The problem is solved with standard fly-spray, and MR X is last seen plummeting into the RIVER THAMES.

At true one-off, skewed tale that is totally unlike anything else in the series. The story is not quite as satisfying overall as other more traditional entries, but the sheer originality of this story is to be embraced, with top-quality visuals and eccentric, imaginitive gags throughout. Notable also for the innovative use of elaborate 'newspaper headlines' which frames each episode. Top quality stuff!

cliffhangers: MR X controls spoils from the AJAX BANK . 2] MR X'S Mysterious forces enable SPY HQ safe to hover out of the buiding. 3] the sinister spectre of MR X looms over PROF TRONIC......4] MR X confronts the UK Prime Minister. 5] MR X launches his new TERROR ARMY on an all-out assault on SPY HQ. 6] HQ is totally surrounded, and under deadly seige. MR X finally 'buys it' after choosing to break out of the peak of BIG BEN clockface.

SERIAL NINE: 'OPERATION I SPY/OPERATION GRAB'. SPARKY nos. 274-279 18 April- 23 May, 1970 six chapters.

the final LES BARTON story brings the early era to a pessemistic, doom-laden conclusion in this highly dramatic, often chilling tale. For me, the two greatest serials are the debut I SPY versus the Incredible MR X and this closing one: both stories are very different, but each is powerful for very different reasons. The swansong delivered here sees a mysterious, unseen group of villains plot to eliminate I SPY using psychological warfare, ultimately framing him for crimes he did not commit, for which our hero receives a 10-year jail sentence.

The rogues gallery: MAHAIREE YOGI, MR TEMPEST and CAMMY FLAGE pool resources to achieve their twisted aims, under the leadership of the demented MR MASTERMIND, who has unleashed an army of lethal, robotic MATIC-MEN ----surely the most chilling adversaries I SPY ever encountered------who, with I SPY imprisoned, are free to wipe out the UK'S ARMED FORCES and empty the banks and vaults of all riches. I SPY escapes jail and manages to follow a MATIC-MAN to M M'S secret castle lair, where our hero manages to get the MATICS to turn on their creator. Finally wiring up the dormant robots with charged explosives, MASTERMIND unwittingly throws the master-switch, blowing the whole shebang sky-high, --------------along with I SPY himself!

This sombre, extremely dark tale made for a brilliantly explosive finale for the series, though obviously it was sad and disappointing to see the series [unexpectedly] end so abruptly. For me, the series would never again approach the sheer energy of the CLARK-BARTON period, though further highlights were to appear in future: it wasn't all over yet, by any means!

cliffhangers: 1] I SPY is alarmed to see BOSS still alive after apparantly witness him murdered. 2] I SPY at the Old Bailey, then stripped of his devices. 3] I SPY escapes jail via the drainage-systems, as the MATIC-MEN decimate the UK. 4] The MATICS deliver untold riches to their MASTER, who believes I SPY is finished. 5] I SPY and BOSS are under seige from 5 or 6 of the lethal robots. 6] The saddest-ever conclusion to any I SPY story, as he perishes-----apparantly-------along with MASTERMIND, MAHAIREE and TEMPEST in an almighty explosion.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

`Operation I. Spy` was-and still is-my favourite ever I. Spy story! For a 14 year old, it amazed me. The storytelling is on another level to all previous entry's in the season. It has a plot every bit as strong as Marvel comics ever offered.

Even today-it totally thrills! There are plot nuances that are way above the regular 6 to 14 year readerships average comprehension. It ended the season in a way I never coul;d have forseen.

Of course, today-we realise that the comic would never terminate such a sucessful strip-but it did seem like that back then!

AND NOW!!! The Alanultron5 "I.SPY" Season 1969-70 awards! Mostly personal-but with a nod to guessing what Sparky/I. Spy fans might have plumped for too!

FAVOURITE STORY (My personal list)

1) `Operation I. Spy/Grab`
2) `Amazing Mastermind Machines`
3) `V Mr Tempest`
4) `The Amazing Mr X` (eight parter)
=5) `Fantasmagorian`
=5) `Mr X Mystery` (fleas)
7) `Tartan Terror`
8) `Fantasmajor Diamond Hunt`
9) `T.T.T.Terrible Granny`

BEST VILLIAN.
Though my favourite is Mastermind, There is no doubt that Mr X dominated most of the season and any poll would have result as = MR X.

BEST VILLIAN DEBUT
Mr MASTERMIND in "Amazing Mastermind Machines"

BEST INDIVIDUAL EPISODE
=1) Cannot seperate eps 1 & 6 of "OPERATION I. SPY/ GRAB"

BEST INDIVIDUAL SCENE
Matic Man holding `Boss` over cliff edge. OPERATION I. SPY/ GRAB Ep 1

BEST SUPPORTING CHARACTER
Boss Spy.

BEST CLIFFHANGER
Ep1 OPERATION I. SPY/ GRAB

BEST `FINALE`
OPERATION I. SPY/GRAB

FUNNIEST SCENE
Portable Hot Tub for Boss Ep 6 "Mr X MYSTERY" (Fleas)

MOST HUMEROUS STORY
"THE TARTAN TERROR"

MOST ACTION PACKED EPISODE
=1) Joint winners Ep 5 "AMAZING MR X" (I. Spy takes on Mr X and his `Spymen`) Ep 5 "AMAZING MASTERMIND MACHINES" (`WW3 Is Initiated)

BEST WEAPON/DEVICE/CREATION
#1) MATIC MEN
=2) TEMPESTS `SUN BLOCKER`
=2) FANTASMAGORIAN
#4) MASTERMIND SLOT MACHINES
#5) SUPER SPY
#6) SUPERTANK

BEST ARTWORK ON EPISODE

Ep 3 of "MR X MYSTERY" Page 1 date 21 March 1970.

About all I can think of!